Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:14AM

You were in the same mission at the same time as my ex-husband! And my ex thought very highly of President Walker, who gave him what I now consider to be some very damaging personal counsel/advice that directly impacted our relationship.

For some time, I've wanted to find out more about this particular mission president and the mission itself.Though my ex and I have a good relationship for the sake of the kids, talking about old mission stuff with him now that I'm no longer a member is not gonna happen. Anybody who has insights on the mission experience there (and especially if you knew Pres. Walker and/or my ex), I'd love to hear from you. As a general rule I don't post contact info, but in this case, I'm making an exception:

meggiemay17@yahoo.com

or if you're on FB: https://www.facebook.com/marguerite.morris.9

FYI, my ex recently went back to France and traveled through the old mission territory. I think he enjoyed the trip itself, but many of the members he knew back in the day are probably long gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 12:59PM

The foreign missions were three years then, as there was no language training center available. They were dumped in the country and expected to learn the language on their own.

The stories he told me of their everyday life were very interesting, such as having no refrigerators or showers. The food was kept in a window box in the winter, so people shopped for only one day's supply. Once a week they would go down to public baths, where they had to pay the woman in charge. They also had to pay an 'air tax' to remain in France. He liked the various cultural celebrations. In one parade they would throw oranges at the spectators. They had few, if any converts, though. The French are too smart. He reaLLy hated tracting in the bitter Belgian winter. He came back extremly thin, with even thinner hair, too.

He was under President Didier, whom RFM posters have discussed from time to time. Guess he wasn't the nicest person.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 05:10PM

Well you can ask me anything here or post again to let me know if you want me to e-mail you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.