Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymousse ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 09:08PM

I'm from Fort Collins and yes it will be very, very annoying to drive past this stupid temple all the time

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 11:56PM

I wish there were more protests when such temples are in the process of just starting to be built. They really don't belong in America, because they are extortion buildings. Non member shave no idea that you can't enter it until you promise to pay 10% of your income to the Mormons.

People ought to be able to know what exactly happens in these buildings and why etc., not just that they look nice on the exterior (cough cough)

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 08:38AM

After living in Utah for a number of years...here's what I think about churches, temples, and church bldgs...

Mormons LOVE to waste space and resources. Mormon churches are EVERYWHERE here but if a nonmo group has a need for their space (like practice on their b-ball courts), they say no.

They build churches RIGHT NEXT TO THEIR TEMPLES...Why can't they use the temple ALSO as a church??

Even though they have various requirements for church stuff during the week...meetings, YM, YW, YS, etc...they HAVE to build church seminary bldgs right next to Jr. high and high schools for MORE church education. Logical people would ask WHY do you HAVE to send the kids to Seminary when you go to church...every week?? And WHY can't they use the churches for Seminary anyway??

I don't know if they consciously like to flaunt their wealth but to me it is a WASTE of church/member resources...

Posted by: churchmember ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 07:12AM

"I don't know if they consciously like to flaunt their wealth but to me it is a WASTE of church/member resources..."

This is EXACTLY...why they do the incessant church/temple building...to show the members that -they- are doing SOMETHING important with their tithing dollars...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 10:16AM

"Out in the barren mission field" they make sacrifices and do double up on the use of the buildings. We always had seminary in the church building, each morning before school. But here is the deal, Mormonism is such a small thing, that our seminary had to host kids who went to two completely different high schools, so not only was seminary early in the morning, but it had to be early enough in the morning that there was time to travel to the different schools. Seminary started at six thirty AM, ended at seven thirty, and you had an hour to boogie, to get to school.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 08:30AM

gotta disagree with you there. The First Amendment doesn't exist to protect nice, neighborly religions; it's there to protect the ones that most of the rest of us don't care for. Fees for membership don't make it much different than an Elks Lodge or something along those lines.

I don't care for temples in the neighborhood (and I drive past one every day on my way to work), but they do have the right to be there.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 09:19AM

Alpiner,
You nailed it when you said The Morg is like The Elk's etc...

Private club with secret handshakes...

The only difference is there's no booze.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 09:58AM

And the Elks will let others use their building.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 11:45AM

You are right,Flyer. Facts about who can enter and how much has to be paid to enter should be available for the locals and I often think they may vote differently. Afterall it is discrimination. How close to the Univ. is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 11:48AM by honestone.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 11:55AM

Oh god. Please no. From the freeway, I accidentally saw the temple outside of Denver last year and hope there are no plans to build one near me in the Springs. Please. I love living in a normal place without Mormon stuff around.

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 12:13PM

I had an appointment at an office in a large industrial park in an area that is known for being relatively wealthy. I made a wrong turn and accidentally ended up driving towards the temple. I had three observations:

1. Nice landscaping. The kind of nice that usually requires ample quantities of Roundup and poisonous chemical fertilizers. There is a push in my area to stop using those things, but they aren't listening.

2. The people walking in looked SO fake-happy. It wasn't a busy day but there were a few people entering, and they didn't look like the joyous Baptists from my old neighborhood.

3. Why is the temple on some of the most expensive land in my metro area? Land use is heavily restricted where I live, but there are some empty parcels closer to where some more Mormons actually live. A few years ago there was even more land available even cheaper. There's an apartment full of missionaries just a few streets away from me. They could have bought twice the land for the same price if they'd built it closer to me.

Just my observations.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 03:39PM

To me, every temple is a whited sepulchre, a monument to self-interest and represents a lack of caring for the poor and suffering people of the world. The time and money spent on them, if applied to real charity, could mean the difference between life and death to millions.

But the Mormons know that the dying children deserved it anyway. They must have been less valiant in the premortal life, and that's why they are suffering. The proof of this is that most of them bear the mark of Cain, they're black. It doesn't matter if they die because they're going to heaven anyway. (Probably as servants, however.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 03:40PM by rationalguy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.