Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonymousToday ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:48AM

I'm super depressed today for some reason. I really have no reason to be but I am. I'm taking Welbutrin for depression and I've been on it for about 3 weeks now. I kept waking up in cold sweats last night. I'm not sure what's wrong. I just want to climb back into bed and avoid life today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:12AM

outdoors where I can visually loose myself in a tropical rain forest or in a stand of California redwoods.

I hope you feel better very soon!
Love and Hugs!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:20AM

Cheer up.

I took Wellbutrin a few years ago. It didn't really help me but maybe it will help you.

What helped me more was to spend an hour watching video clips at www.justforlaughs.com

It's corny but it worked.

Posted by: egomet ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:31AM

Three weeks isn't a long time. Be patient, and talk to your doctor.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:31AM

Call your funniest friend!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:40AM

Sometimes doing a dive under the covers and avoiding life is a good idea. Everyone needs a break sometimes. If you don't have any pressing responsibilities, why not do just that?

That said, sometimes getting up and forcing your ass out the door can be a good idea too.

Either way, I hope you feel a bit better soon.

If you like well-done funny commercials (it's something that lightens my mood!), this video is really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0ReOjS_6s

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:01PM

Maybe it will you make you laugh:
Today, I was holding baby 5 up in the air and smiling and cooing at him. And then he smiled for the first time ever. I was so excited to keep it going, so I kept cooing at him and kept smiling.

Then he farted, pooped and then threw up down my shirt!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:24PM

Date: August 05, 2013 12:05PM

I'm going to the park to get into the sun and I'm going to smoke a Camel menthol. Probably not the best thing for my health, but it will release some dopamine.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:14PM

I was switched from Zoloft to Wellibutrin because Wellibutrin didn't have "sexual side effects". I'm not sure about that, but I know it didn't help with the depression. Zoloft worked great. That's the deal with this stuff, your doctor and you will likely have to try two or three before you find one that works for you. Good luck. By three weeks you should feel better, if you don't go back to the doctor and try something else.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:22PM

Read Craigslist personal ads. The losers there will cheer you right up.

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:55PM

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only person who did that!! I get a kick out of tantamount and raves too, and sometimes the pets category erupts into a psycho flame war.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 12:39PM

There's an old saying that in order to be happy, every person needs:

Something to do

Something to look forward to

Someone to love

During a difficult time in my life where I argued with myself about whether getting out of bed was actually necessary, I read a book by Julia Cameron, "The Artist's Way." This book was written about twenty years ago to help creative types unblock. It has turned into an enduring best seller because it works as a personality recovery reboot.

One of her suggestions that I carry forward and use even now is the "Artist's Date." This gives you the missing "something to look forward to" when life seems empty.

You create a day of the week where you set aside for a new experience mixed in with activities that you like--BY YOURSELF. For example, you can get a manicure, go out to lunch, have a psychic reading, take a one mile hike to see if salmon are running yet, visit that small museum that you've always been curious about, and stop at the bookstore on the way home.

This last one was amazing because I'd always wondered about people who hang out at the bookstore and read there. Why don't they buy the book and go home to read? Since part of my own recovery was to reach out to new people, I asked them. I was very surprised at the answers.

People were nice and pretty candid, "I can't afford this book and I can't put it down. My husband thinks I'm visiting my mother." and my favorite, "Did my mother send you?"

I found out that people were open and friendly with an occasional grouch. Everywhere I went, my challenge was to speak to the people who were there, even if it was just to say Good Morning.

Before I read Cameron's book, it would never have occurred to me to take a day to provide myself with new experiences as raw material for my creative efforts. Something to look forward to definitely helped cure my depression and provide me with a new hobby and a new outlook on my life other than "a failure."

I always go to You-tube with my cup of coffee in the morning to find out what crazy stuff people are laughing over. Change your chemistry by laughing at these:

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/

or

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/pets/

Hugs

Anagrammy

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 02:51PM

I love that idea and am going to try to adopt it. Thank you x

Date: August 05, 2013 03:23PM

I love the idea of going to the book store. I live right by a Barnes and Noble. I'm going to start hanging out there during the day.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:02PM

Have you done any drinking? Wellbutrin and alcohol don't mix at all well for some people. You'll find reports online of people getting really intoxicated with very little booze and/or sinking into really deep depression for the next day or two.

I've been on it for about the same time--three weeks. The effect I am noticing is not one of happiness, but a slightly better ability to let go of thoughts that worry me rather than having them loop around in my head for hours. And I'm focusing on tasks a bit better too I think.

Date: August 05, 2013 03:25PM

Yes, you know what, I did do that. I got drunk off of 2 beers. It usually takes me 6. I bet that has something to do with it.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 03:00PM

Actually, high blood glucose causes mood changes too. I think (hope!) most doctors would know to screen people for some of these causes of depression.

Date: August 05, 2013 03:24PM

I have diabetes, but I've kept my sugars down with exercise and diet. I just get down a lot.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 05:28PM

Does depression run in your family? What's your Myers-Briggs temperament type? We INFJs are prone to melancholy.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 08:23PM

I hope you feel better soon love. YOu certainly seem to have got a lot of good suggestions and have taken to them! Keep up the good work. I too have suffered from emotional problems and the one thing that keeps me going is knowing that the depression/anxiety will end. Just keep working with your doctor and a solution that is right for you will come.

Take care, I am thinking of you!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.