Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 07:05PM

Gag.

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/26288746

SALT LAKE CITY — This summer marks 200 years since Joseph Smith, the founder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, underwent an experimental surgery that is credited with saving his leg from being amputated. On Saturday, the Smith family honored the doctor who performed the procedure.
Hundreds of runners competed in the "Joseph's Miracle Run" 5k race through "This is the Place Heritage Park" Saturday. The race was a special moment for David Longcope, a descendant of Dr. Nathan Smith, who in 1813 operated on Joseph Smith's leg.

"I'm a physician, as was my father and his father, and it goes back," he said. "There has been a doctor every generation since Nathan — he was the first."

Seven generation later, Dr. Landscope traveled to Utah to represent his family as Nathan Smith was honored.

"Especially as a physician, to appreciate what he was doing 200 years ago is truly amazing," Landscope said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 09:26PM

"And even at that tender age the lord was with him, insomuch that he knew not to partake of the bitter spirits, even in a time of pain. And he bit that stick so hard, the end" - Random GA

I saw this thing too, I was puzzled at what the money could possibly go towards, they're saying scholarships, but how much money is in a 5K run?

We need an alternate history of JS, where he had his leg lopped off and wheeled around a diggin for treasure. Maybe even a scene where he flees from some baddies in his wheelchair while holding the plates in his lap. maybe they could do a scene similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 09:40PM

The refusal of the medication/alcohol was obviously before the Word of Wisdom was received and there are accounts of Joseph drinking wine and other "spirits" after the Word of Wisdom... Why the drama of refusing medication that would have dulled the pain of the procedure?

Simple, the story fit the church narrative during the time it was first told and beyond. (Anyone know when this story first appeared in church folklore?)

This is exactly what was done with the manner of translation of the plates and the first vision.

DT

Posted by: Lost in Time ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:25PM

The story is relayed by Joseph's mother, Lucy Mack Smith. Her book "History of Joseph Smith by His Mother Lucy Mack Smith" (yes it says that on the title page of my copy"
She wrote the book as her life story originally entitled "History of Lucy Mack Smith by Herself" but after her death the church eventually ended up with it.
Parts were published in England I think around 1860 (I am at work so don't hold me to that date)
Joseph F. Smith had it published in 1901 (that date I know)

Joseph Smith jr had a large cyst after a prolonged illness. After draining the cyst they decided there was still infected damaged bone in his leg and to amputate. Joseph begged to just remove the bad bone and hope the leg would heal over.
Mother Smith says joseph refused both brandy and wine. He also asked not to be tied to the bed, but to have his father hold him during the operation.

Date: August 05, 2013 10:45PM

I am looking at my copy of "History of Joseph Smith" written by his mother, Lucy Mack Smith.

It appears Orson Pratt first published her manuscript and hence the story in Liverpool England in 1853.

In my copy, chapter 15, it states Joseph went through 2 operations prior to the one in question. Mother Smith says there was a team of surgeons but as far as I can tell, only mentions a Dr. Stone.

It then says he went to live with his uncle Jesse in Salem as the salt air would do him good.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 09:45PM

It's probably another fabrication to make him look like a Catholic saint.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: August 04, 2013 10:13PM

It's so ridiculous! Just when you think you've heard it all. Of course this is in Utah. And these descendents are just so proud of themselves like they are actually doing some good in the world! Praise to the man and his doctor!!

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:50PM

+1

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 01:07PM

I have read that Nathan Smith MD was a very good progressive thinking doctor that taught at Dartmouth. He and his many medical students over the years documented his practice & techniques, but there is no actual written evidence that it was this doctor Smith who worked on Joseph's leg.

If this is the Nathan Smith MD from Dartmouth College that worked on JS leg, he was very knowledgable in pharmaceuticals and used opium readily for patients in pain.

Nathan Smith was a real person and his life is well documented, the question is was this the doctor that worked on JS's leg? If Joseph didn't have anything for pain, that doesn't sound like Nathan Smith.

Date: August 05, 2013 11:09PM

Seems odd that the destitute Smith Family would be able to secure the services of a doctor who taught at Dartmouth.

Just saying...

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 07:34PM

Joe was 7 when he had this surgery. If he did refuse to drink booze, it was because he thought it tasted gross.

Date: August 05, 2013 11:10PM

All medicine used to taste gross. You still got it forced down your throat.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 10:26PM

The little 7 year old Joey Smith did the same thing anyone that age would do...want to be with his parents and not drink shitty booze that tasted like nasty old moonshine. He was freaking out because they were talking about things like cutting his entire leg off.

He doesn't sound like a hero or any extraordinarily feat of braveness happened....he was stuck with getting a cyst removed. Big deal...my sister had a cyst on her ass when she was 12 and no one had to give her a shot of wiskey because they have Novocaine now. No one made a journal entry or even gave a second thought to it. Boo hoo poor little baby joey had a cyst removed....so what.!!!

It is ridiculous to listen to these stupid stories and realize that the mormons are trying to make such a big deal out of a cyst on a kids leg....they are trying to make him into such a martyr that it sounds stupid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 10:28PM by upsidedown.

Date: August 05, 2013 11:00PM

Actually they had to cut down to bone to remove the cyst. Then on a follow up surgery took out three pieces of infected bone with hand drills and chisels.

Date: August 05, 2013 11:08PM

upsidedown,

Thanks for making me laugh.

DT

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: August 05, 2013 11:39PM

I am sure this is when the Schizophrenia set in with js!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.