Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curious ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 02:37AM

Basically, do Mormons go on honeymoons when they get married?

I have a friend whose sister got married about 2 years ago and he told me they were probably not going on a honeymoon. But they are extremely wealthy so it's not like they couldn't afford it.

I have another friend who got married a few weeks ago and did not go on a honeymoon. Her family has a lot of money also.

I don't get it. Are they really just concerned about hurrying up to pop out babies and get to the CK that any time for some relaxing romance is out of the question?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 03:04AM

Most TBM's that I know have gone on honeymoons.

Posted by: INFO ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 03:06AM

That's weird. :/ Every married TBM in my family has gone on a some sort of honeymoon. Some went on small ones, some went on big ones.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:02AM

I've never known of any Mormon couple not to go on a honeymoon and I've know quite a few - those 2 couples are isolated cases.

Note: We went on a very short/simple honeymoon between 2 semesters at BYU.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:00AM

Maybe rich people think honeymoons are lowbrow. Or maybe they think they're no big deal since they travel more than most people anyway.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:11AM

That is not normal behavior for Mormons. Not at all. However, I've heard of some pretty low-key Mormon honeymoons.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:35PM

I never knew anyone who didn't go on one. That said, many of those who had kids from previous marriages insisted on taking all the kids on their honeymoon (Disneyland or some such place). No privacy, no alone time, and a bunch of rugrats to wrangle. IMHO, that's NOT a honeymoon -- it's a family vacation.

Some of the TBM brides I knew were not looking forward to the honeymoon because they were afraid of having sex or at least not looking forward to it. One of my SILs once told me that she made sure she and her husband went to a location where there were plenty of activities (sightseeing, hiking, tours, etc.) to keep them busy "because you can't do *that* all the time."

I've noticed a TBM tendency to honeymoon either in really cheap places (tent on the mountainside with no facilities, no electricity, no toilet) or places more suited to kids (Disneyland, etc). I haven't seen very many of them go to cool vacation destinations or resorts.

My ex-DH figured one night in the local Best Western was good enough. Then we went on a family trip with my new in-laws!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:53PM

Yeah I've heard of Mormons not going on honeymoons. A lot of them didn't have money to begin with though. My SIL and her husband just went camping for theirs. They didn't care about the honeymoon at all.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:53PM

I suppose it could have been worse. Motel 6, anybody? Al's Motor Court?

Since the subject came up, I have a very perverse curiosity about whether virignal TBMs wear their garments on their big first night. Or would the bride opt for a traditional white peignoir? I mean, saving all that purity for such a big occasion...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.