Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mlyn627 ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:35PM

I've been thinking a lot lately about my TBM mom she has gone from active to inactive to just recently going through the temple.

I haven't told her I think it's all BS. I don't know if I should and if I did I don't know how to go about it. She is really starting to get preachy with me and my kids and it's starting to piss me off that she even believes this junk. So I know it's just a matter of time before I say something and I want to be prepared.

I am thinking the best way to go about it is to ask her if she will be happy in the CK without any of her immediate family with her since us sinners will either be in outer darkness or whatever. How can she be ok with this? How do TBMs think this is right? She pays her tithing so she can go to the temple so she can go to the "best heaven". We don't do any of this but are good people, and this little matter of tithing (money) is going to keep us apart in the afterlife? (I don't even know what I believe, but I'm appealing to her)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 06:36PM by mlyn627.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:48PM

My dad pulled that on me when I left the church and he knew I wouldn't be coming back.

Dad: Well, I just feel bad that we won't be together in the celestial kingdom after we die.

JtS: So how does that work. If you're in the Celestial Kingdom and I'm in the Telstial Kingdom, aren't you just as separated from me as I am from you? Why is me being separated from you considered punishment, but you being separated from me is considered glory? Its the same thing for both of us.

Dad: (deer in headlights look, long pause with no response, proceeds to bare his testimony).

I don't think mormons really take the time to think about what they say when they parrot the religion.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:51PM

It sounds like she's worried about your eternal welfare and is trying to bring you into the fold.

Don't let church wedge itself between you and your mom. Treat her with respect and expect the same from her. Try to stay cool and give her the facts about the religion without sounding like you are criticising or attacking her beliefs.

It seems to me that she may be nagging you out of fear.

Date: August 08, 2013 07:05PM

Kendal Mint Cake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like she's worried about your eternal
> welfare and is trying to bring you into the fold.
>
>
> Don't let church wedge itself between you and your
> mom. Treat her with respect and expect the same
> from her. Try to stay cool and give her the facts
> about the religion without sounding like you are
> criticising or attacking her beliefs.
>
> It seems to me that she may be nagging you out of
> fear.

She is worried, she is always worried about us and how we don't go to church. I just wish she could see how ridiculous it sounds that she pays the cult money so she gets into a better heaven. WTH??

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:27PM

Rather than making separation the biggest issue, how about working on the idea that Heaven doesn't work that way? Whether you believe in God or Heaven or not, she does. I grew up in Christianity where everyone gets to see each other again in Heaven with no layers of heaven and without secret names and secret handshakes and little rituals that bind you to loved ones. It's sad and frightening to think that you have to be specially sealed in order to see your loved ones again, and what about your friends? No one gets sealed to their friends, so plan on never seeing them again??

If you continue to stress on the fact that you will be separated in the afterlife, this may cause her to be even more zealous in her efforts to bring you and your family back to the fold. If you can stress the fact that God doesn't need handshakes and secret names and sealings, and that everyone will see each other again, so long as they are good people, perhaps she'll relax a little. Maybe?? Probably not, this is Mormon after all, but my thought is to not focus on the separation aspects of Mormonism because I think it could have the opposite effect of what you're after.

Otherwise, you're going to have to be firm in your boundaries of no religious talk whatsoever and all those things that get discussed here every day.

Since she's been a little back-and-forth, perhaps downplaying the "seriousness" of Mormon heaven would be beneficial. "Heaven doesn't work that way, Mom. Everyone has their own path to God. We'll see each other in the afterlife, don't worry so much." Etc.

Date: August 08, 2013 07:40PM

omreven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rather than making separation the biggest issue,
> how about working on the idea that Heaven doesn't
> work that way? Whether you believe in God or
> Heaven or not, she does. I grew up in
> Christianity where everyone gets to see each other
> again in Heaven with no layers of heaven and
> without secret names and secret handshakes and
> little rituals that bind you to loved ones. It's
> sad and frightening to think that you have to be
> specially sealed in order to see your loved ones
> again, and what about your friends? No one gets
> sealed to their friends, so plan on never seeing
> them again??
>
Good points! I am a little nervous to reveal that I know as much as I do, because she will freak out that "I have been reading things I shouldn't"
Ya after I typed that I realized how pathetic that sounds! I'm an adult I can read whatever the hell I want!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.