Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 09:42PM

Young mormon families I work with asking me if I have seen the latest Disney Movie...

Fo' Real?

Disney Movie premieres on a Friday; they come to work talking about how it's the greatest movie since sliced bread; and then asked if I have seen it; like, a young man (me!) is going to want to see a Disney movie and to seriously ask that.

And...the young mormon parents that are my age...pretending like they want to watch those movies instead of more age appropriate movies?

Barf.

It's unsettling.

PS: The other parents I hear talking about Disney movies have teenage children...not even like pre-schoolers and they're talking about these G-rated movies. It must suck to be cut off from society.

One fellow, 40-something coworker didn't want his teenage son to see the latest Batman movie because it was too violent. Yeah. And he probably did throat-slashings in the Temple. And Batman is too violent?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 09:42PM by newcomer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 10:00PM

I'll admit I am going to see Planes tomorrow. But I am taking the 5 year old on her Granty date, would I go alone, no, but what I want to see is not appropriate for the 5 year old.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 02:44PM

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 02:53PM

Planes was terrific!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 04:19AM

I don't see anything wrong with liking Disney movies as an adult. Especially nowadays, when there is plenty of adult level humor sprinkled in (not raunchy, but stuff that will go over the little ones' heads).

Of course, the kind of people who like Disney movies because of their content (and lack thereof) had better not look behind the curtain, because Disney is a pretty mercenary profit machine. Wait...

Posted by: boiseguy ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 04:38AM

Don't hang out with Mormon families...

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 05:09AM

Hahaha!

A lot of these Disney movies are quite entertaining and can cater to adults who can understand some of the "inside jokes." As a single adult, a Disney movie usually isn't going to be my first choice, at least not at the majorly expensive movie theater, though my mind is open for rental at home. :)

Years ago I dated a TBM (I'm nevermo, BTW), and we decided to stay in and watch a movie...we watched "Lion King." I had heard through the grapevine that it was a really good movie that parents could enjoy with their kids. This was the the closest I had gotten to a G rated film since I was a little girl. It was a good movie, but just so odd that two adults in their late 20's would be watching a kid's cartoon.

Anyway, while not my first choice, some of these movies are really good and capture some adult humor while the kids capture something entirely different. Don't completely knock it, but I'm with you in the "are you for real" camp. :)

PS - I have kids. As a childless, single adult, a Disney movie wouldn't even enter the radar and it is a little strange.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 05:17AM by omreven.

Posted by: someone ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 06:49AM

I totally agree with the original poster. Seriously, as young single adults in college, we would watch VEGGIE TALES and sing the stupid "Silly Songs with Larry."

When we would carpool to church, the uber TBMs would play Disney songs...the old ones like Snow White and Tarzan...><

Then there is the TBM girl who wore a WINNIE THE POOH BACKPACK when we were sophomores in college! I was so embarrassed to walk around my very secular, liberal college with her. It was like she never matured passed age 8. She also imitated Disney characters' voices....

The whole point of all of this is that Mormons are kept in a continuous state of early childhood. They take "being childlike" very literally. I never fit in with that. Glad I'm out!!

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 07:41AM

A lot of adults love stuff like pokemon, Winnie the pooh etc that they grew up with or watch Adventure Time or whatever. It's just when you only watch things suitable for children that things get strange...

Date: August 12, 2013 08:43AM

It is strange.

Don't get me wrong. I like some kids movies like "Ice Age" and "Toy Story," but I HAD to watch these movies when I taught elementary, autistic kids for a year. I found myself laughing and asking things like: "Is that Queen Latifah doing the wooly mammoth's voice?"

I'm annoyed when they go out of their ways to find he most obscure Disney movies (like "Blank Check") and then seriously ask if I have seen it. Yeah, I saw it when I was 10 and you were 30.

The part that irks me is that I know they're forcing themselves to like watching these movies. Forcing themselves to abstain from watching more age appropriate movies. This is a telltale sign of behavior of people being brainwashed: doing things they wouldn't normally do if they were in the cult.

Date: August 13, 2013 02:46PM

both of those movies are classic!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 02:55PM

I bought an Eeyore sweatshirt on my honeymoon when I was 43. Still have it.

Date: August 12, 2013 08:46AM

Loved "Planes." (In fact, DW arranged a private screening for our family in a local theater for my birthday.)

We love most everything Disney and fly to visit the parks in Florida several times a year. I don't consider clean and wholesome movies any less "age appropriate" for adults than any other genre. We just like it.

What I DO bristle at is the notion that Mormons have some sort of monopoly on non-violent and clean entertainment. They don't. DW and I spent last week at WDW, and we thought it was great seeing families that were obviously non-Mormons enjoying themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 09:12AM by left4good.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 01:42AM

I'm going to be honest that I agree with you. I think it's when they ONLY watch those movies and shows that it makes it weird. And it is weird when they feel like they need to love all Disney movies because they're "appropriate".

Frankly, there are some Disney movies that I love! And of course there are some I don't. I wasn't forced to watch any of them but I don't consider it weird that I have genuinely enjoyed plenty of Disney movies. But it's not because they're "wholesome" or something like that. I just so happen to enjoy quite a few rated R movies as well and pg-13 and everything in between.

I think that if someone likes a rated G movie there is nothing wrong with that. I do agree though that there IS something wrong with the way a lot of Mormons are infantilized. There's a difference between liking a G movie because you enjoyed it as opposed to liking it because it's rated G.

Date: August 13, 2013 02:49PM

Nickson

I agree 100%.

Posted by: satanslittlehelper ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:09AM

Disney movies may be entertaining but they send some very interesting messages, especially for young kids. The idea that women are powerless and will be rescued by men is common. I think one of the most pernicious is Beauty and the Beast.

If I hold you hostage and treat you abusively, you will eventually fall in love with me. It is a rape fantasy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 05:11AM

This is why the best family movie in history is Star Wars. They get to where the princess is being held prisoner, let her go, and the first thing she does is take command of her own rescue. Shrek is also good for pretty much the same reason, featuring a "helpless" princess who actually kicks a lot of butt.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:34AM

Disney Fanatics - it's a phenomenon that is not exclusively Mormon. Michael Jackson recreated part of Disneyland in his back yard.

I don't know if Mormons have a higher percentage of them or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Did you catch the "UP" house in the Utah parade of homes?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16280329

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 11:37AM by crom.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 05:12AM

I don't know if Michael Jackson is the best example to use, whenever you are trying to show a behavior as normal.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 12:06PM

There are two kinds of Mormon twenty somethings that are kind of sad. The first is the group that is so "goodie two shoes" that the only movies they allow themselves to see are church sanctioned or Disney. The second is the group who see Disney movies with their children, because they had children when they were barely out of their teens.

I do think that Disney has made an effort recently to fix the helpless female image they have given their princesses. Tiana, Rapunzel and Merida are pretty scrappy.

Posted by: catwallada ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 12:31PM

Give me I Am A Princess over I'm a Mormon any day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEn9NAGipxE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 10:54PM

Agreed. Also if you look into some of the modern stories and such they release for the other princesses (books, games, movies ect.) that have been released in the past 5-10 years are awesome. There was one where Aurora took out a mountain lion on horse back with a stick. And a lot of the others have similar stories.

I think it paints a picture of being strong, feminine, independent, and being yourself. I have no idea why people seem to knock it so much tbh.

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 10:59PM

I consider myself a person who just happens to really like Disney and such. I don't think that's bad? I don't have kids (and unsure I want them) but I feel that it's less of a issue of them seeing kids movies and more of them not making an effort to judge media based on things beyond a rating. Because the rating is bs and we all know it, but Mormons are stuck thinking that anything above PG is evil. Now that I'm out of the church I make the choice what movies I want to see as an adult; not them. So if I want to see the newest Disney/Pixar movie, I will. If I want to see the newest R thriller movie, I'll see it too.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 11:15PM

The combination of Disney and Dreamworks makes my lunch jump. Round, happy, primary-colored things animated with smiles and kinder garden humor ain't my cup of Joe.

I like my movies with salt, and I'm not talking fart jokes here. I mean Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Reservoir Dogs, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, to name a few. Those are movies for grownups.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:21PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The combination of Disney and Dreamworks makes my
> lunch jump. Round, happy, primary-colored things
> animated with smiles and kinder garden humor ain't
> my cup of Joe.
>
> I like my movies with salt, and I'm not talking
> fart jokes here. I mean Pulp Fiction, Fargo,
> Reservoir Dogs, The Big Lebowski, No Country for
> Old Men, to name a few. Those are movies for
> grownups.

Right...and none of my co-workers would be caught dead watching "No Country for Old Men." They are, as one poster here said in this thread, immature and regressed back into childhood.

Posted by: Anon for now ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 02:05AM

The snobbery is unbelievable. People aren't allowed to enjoy different types of movies? If people don't have your "sophisticated" tate, they are immature and regressed? Or are you being more than a bit narrow minded and in doing so have cut off an entire range of possible entertainment?

I'm also curious that since "No Country for Old Men" is the apparent standard, what about "His Girl Friday"? Or "Casablanca"? Or a myriad of fantastic films. G-Rated immature nonsense, I suppose.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 02:38PM

So you like the Coen brothers and Quentin Tarantino?

Date: August 13, 2013 02:50PM

Kind of sad. I enjoy all genres -- GOOD movies in all genres.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 03:26AM

I can never forgive Disney for what they did to Jungle Book.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 05:18AM

1. I never liked Disney films even as a child.
2. I find most of them objectionable.
3. I took our young children to see Jurassic Part and the one 4 at the time was disappointed because there were no monsters, only dinosaurs.
4. I think the Harry Potter movies and the aventures movies al la Raiders of the Lost Ark are much better than Disney flicks.

Posted by: Ysgard ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 12:10PM

What the hell is wrong with enjoying Disney movies?
Don't be so insecure.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 12:34PM

My nevermo roommate is a 28-year-old male, and a huge Disney fanatic. Seriously, our house is covered in Disney paraphernalia. He gets season tickets to Disneyland every year and goes more often than I can even count.

I'm single, don't have kids, and I'll watch Disney movies by myself sometimes. Some of them are really good! One of the things that Disney does really well is makes movies with enough layers that they can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

What drives me crazy in young TBM culture, though, is that they don't treat Disney and kids' movies for what they are - light, entertaining, a bit sappy and cheesy, fun without being mentally or emotionally challenging. But when TBMs act like these movies are somehow SUPERIOR to actual adult-oriented films BECAUSE of these traits, that's when it drives me crazy.

Date: August 13, 2013 02:52PM

The Lone Ranger.
Two and a half hours of da fuq.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.