Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 02:56AM

In addition to the usual evidences here are some more I'm discovering:

1) Mormonism claims a unique belief in the atonement occurring in the Garden of Gethsemane, with the crucifixion being the final act of that atonement but not its most significant one. I'm reading "Misquoting Jesus", which has some pretty compelling arguments that the passage of scripture referring to Jesus sweating drops of blood and suffering agony in Gethsemane (as opposed to simply praying) is a later addition to the book inserted by scribes who were seeking to counter arguments from Christian sects that believed Jesus was not actually human but wholly divine and therefore only "seemed" to be human. These verses were inserted to make it clear Jesus was actually human, with blood and flesh and the ability to feel true agony. Huh. That throws our great insight into Jesus' atonement into a tailspin, doesn't it?

2) Joseph Smith taught that Elijah and Elias are two separate beings, with Elias coming first, Elijah coming second and both preparing the way for the Messiah. Throw in some crap about the spirit of Elijah and genealogy. However, it is widely accepted outside of Mormonism that Elias and Elijah are one and the same.

3) The Book of Mormon claims to be written by Hebrews, in a language that is a combination of Hebrew and Egyptian. But in the BoM God reveals to the prophets that the name of the Savior to come is "Christ", which is a Greek word, which would not be known to a Egyptian/Hebrew. The Hebrew word, and the appropriate one to use, would be "Messiah". But perhaps Joseph was not any more aware of that little detail as he was that horses/steel/etc were anachronisms.

Every time I dig deeper I find the pit for my Mormon beliefs just keeps growing!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 15, 2013 02:57AM

I wish I knew how to edit. I hate it when I miss little details, like entire words that need to be included in a title! :)

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:09AM

I cover these topics (and a few more) in my article "Linguistic Problems of Mormonism" at http://packham.n4m.org/linguist.htm

It's great that you figure them out yourself!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:49PM

Yeah it's amazing - the more you dig the more and more shit you uncover.

Date: August 15, 2013 01:29PM

Thanks for that link, RPackham! I've bookmarked it for my husband to read later.

It's so funny how TBMs will try to tell you to just ignore the evidence b/c it's anti-Mormon nonsense and you can "know" it's true by asking and receiving a spiritual witness. Your analogy about George Washington's journal is spot-on, though, and helps clearly show why wanting the BoM/church to be true does not erase the problems with it. However, you have to be willing to accept that it might NOT be true and you also have to be able to read and understand a few more academic concepts. My grandparents, for example, would never have believed the arguments against the church b/c they were uneducated and not very bright and it would have all been over their heads. Not to say that those who believe are uneducated or not smart, but some of this stuff does take a certain level of intelligence. Most important, though, is that willingness to accept the possibility it's all bogus and many are unwilling to venture anywhere near that territory.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:43PM

Editing a post is simple.

1. Each post has a highlighted grey box at the bottom of that post. The word EDIT appears when you as the poster are looking at your own post (of course you must be logged in).

2. Click EDIT. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see your text as originally posted. You can changed the subject line and/or the text material.

3. Click PREVIEW to make sure it looks and says what you want in the edit changes. Once you're happy, click SAVE CHANGES.

4. Then an EDIT notice will appear in your original post. You can make as many edits as necessary so long as the "edit" link appears in the "Options" grey highlighted bar at the bottom of the post.

Now, go for it!

Date: August 15, 2013 02:07PM

Muchas gracias!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 02:19PM

De nada.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.