Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:20PM

Is that normal? I saw them sweating it on a busy road in the afternoon in Florida. That's not healthy and heat-stroke is dangerous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:25PM

Yup, happened in hot and humid southern Japan, cycling along in long dresses, and then trying to look nice and proper at the destination, and it was compounded by their helmet hair.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:27PM

We did that in southern France, although the heat was never quite that bad. We were required to wear pantyhose, too.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:50PM

Yeah, I rode a summer in southern France in almost as hot temperatures and humidity, with nylons. My companion and I would get home during the two-hour lunch time, strip off all of our clothes except slips (yes, slips, too) and garments to cool down mid-day. Then at dinnertime we'd do the same thing. I remember yelling as I put my nylons back on before leaving after lunchtime. I couldn't believe elders would bike in their buttoned-up shirts with ties and polyester dark blue pants. Nobody but the APs had cars in our mission.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:13PM

"two hour lunch time"..... ? (REALLY ?) how can you have high 60's hours proselyting times for totals with a 2 hour lunch ?

( to self: try to NOT think of mission, try to NOT be depressed, repeat)

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:22PM

Because I kept all my god-damn missionary stuff, I can answer your question. To achieve the Standard of Excellence on my mission, the following numbers had to be met:

Individual Study: 7 hours
Companion Study: 7 hours
First Time Contacting: 18 hours (tracting, GQing, surveying non-members for first time)
Book of Mormon: 5 (number of BoMs given out)
Reference: at least 1
New Find: 3
Proselyting: 65 hours
Discussion: 10
Teach With Member: 3
Investigators Attending Church: 2
Engaged: Anyone with a fixed baptismal date within next two weeks
Baptism: Baptism is good for four weeks after the fact; not before

Here are my numbers from the week I got broadsided by a van:
IS: 0
CS: 1
FTC: 0
BoM: 1
REF: 0
NF: 0
PROS: 9
DISC: 1
TWM: 0
IAC: 0
ENG: 0
BAPT: 0

More of a typical week:
IS: 7
CS: 7
FTC: 18
BoM: 3
REF: 0
NF: 2
PROS: 57
DISC: 9
TWM: 1
IAC: 0
ENG: 0
BAPT: 0

I only achieved "The Standard" twice on my mission.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:37PM

I was reading a doctor's article about bike riding in heat/humidity just today. He advises *not* to ride between 10 and 2 on very hot days -- but if you must, take lots of frequent rest and water breaks. I wonder if the missionaries do that? And you are right -- heat related illness for those who push it too far is a very real possibility.

The quickest way to cool someone down -- ice in the armpits or the groin. Yowza!

Often loose dresses or skirts can be cooler than shorts or pants. Not with pantyhose, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 04:38PM by summer.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 04:41PM

It was normal for me in Louisiana and Mississippi in the mid 70s. Hot and super humid

Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:23PM

My wife had to scrape the frost and snow off of her bicycle, put on her helmet and ride home in her dress in the dead of winter while the Elders (Zone Leaders) got in their heated car and drove off!

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:40PM

A sister in my mission (Brazil) was riding in the heat and humidity. I'm not sure how hot it was, but it gets hot and muggy there. She passed out while riding on her bike. Come to find out she had a peptic ulcer that aggravated the situation.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:23PM

Makes me think about my mission in Arizona. The boneheads in SL decided to take away the sister's cars and stated we were to ride bikes. What they were not expecting is that we, mission wide, refused to leave our apartments unless they either allowed us to wear pants, or let us keep our cars. We were a feisty bunch and after fighting them for a week, got our cars back.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:51PM

Better a dress on a bike than a collared shirt and tie!

Lots of women wear dresses on bikes in Portland, not that hot or humid though. & with better ventilated undies.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:29PM

About a month ago in Georgia it was really hot here (it's cool and rainy now). I took the garbage out after 9pm on my dark street and heard voices coming at me fast. I looked up and two elders were speeding by in the dark, one with a light. They both said hi. I waved back and felt sorry for the little bairns, it being so hot and humid, dark and dangerous. What a place to serve a mission. "Where'd you go on your mission?" "Augusta, Georgia." "Dude. Sucks!" "Yeah."

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:23PM

It gets so hot in central Florida, I don't know how anyone could possibly serve a mission here. I simply would have gone home. Ireland rained a lot, and it was a damp, wet cold that made you feel cold down in your bones, but I would take that any day of the week to Florida's insane heat and humidity. I feel so bad for these missionaries, that I would give them a couple of minutes head start before I call security and have them thrown out.

Posted by: FlatFour ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:26PM

Long time lurker, first post. I served in central Florida in the mid 90's (Tampa, included Orlando at the time). Yes, the heat sucks. You get used to being constantly soaking wet. But back then the sisters were ALL in cars in the Florida Tampa Mission. None on bikes. These days I'm sure there are too many sisters to provide all of them cars. The church can't afford that, you know.

I'll be down in Orlando this weekend. Can't wait for the heat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.