Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vodkamdew ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:16PM

I have been thinking a lot about mine and my husbands. After I had gotten mine, I saw that in order for me to get all those 'blessings' I needed to stay in the church and do 'the good works'. Now I've been looking back on both our blessings and seeing that everything I said in my interview with this man, was said in my blessing. My hubby hardly mentioned anything in his interview and his blessing turned out very small.

What are some of your insights?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:42PM

My thoughts are that they are no better then fortune tellers that get you to divulge parts of you life and surprise you by using that information to "predict" and make obvious insights into your life.

The real question I would like to know is if anybody ever had bad news in their blessing.

I personally know of somebody that had to have their's redone because they forgot to include the lineage thing, I wonder if they redid the whole thing, and if they did, if they kept it the same or changed it around a lot.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:38AM

Dh and I got ours from the same patriarch, several years apart. Huge sections of it are almost identical. Even though we have been married for 15 years I hadn't seen his until 2 or 3 years ago. When I finally did it was the first big step toward disbelief. I realized that there was likely nothing truly inspired about it at all.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:49AM

I've read 3 other blessings of friends that had the same patriarch as I did. My first thought was Oh, that's why they don't want us to talk about them! It was almost identical to mine. I was only 16 at the time, so kind of ignored it.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:52AM

So why do they teach that it's personal revelation designed specifically for you?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:09AM

That would be referred to as a "LIE" in the real world.

Posted by: kjourney ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:05AM

My blessing and my two sisters have a lot of the same wording and they were given by the same man. Mine did have some things that ended up being true, but who knows if that was coincidence or I guess it could be self-fulfilled prophecy. One thing mine said that I have always hated was that "my voice would be heard loud and clear concerning honest and true government." I HATE politics and honestly don't understand or care to understand most of it. It also says I have a "keen and inquiring mind that will lead me to find the truthfulness of the gospel." I guess he got that one right!

Posted by: vodkamdew ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:16AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.