Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:09AM

So my wife is visiting her parents without me. She is feeling internal anguish over having a secret that I told her a month ago. (I'm atheist).

She desperately wants to tell them in the hopes that they will support us in the fact that we will be raising our children differently. I think she also feels some guilt and is hoping for some moral support.

She is TBM/NOM, but she's pretty reasonable. She listens to me about the history, believes me, but still thinks it's a good place.

Her Dad is a convert, her mom is from a mix faith family. They have a lot of non-mormon family close to them. The church is their life. All 10 siblings are TBM. I think the biggest harassment will come from a couple of them and their spouses. I could see it going either way. I hope they'll just talk about us behind out backs (it's inevitable). We live on the other side of the country so we don't have to deal with them much.

I feel like it could go either way. I live in PA and the ward is incredible spread out so I don't think I'll get a lot of crap from ward members. He have a couple jerk missionaires, and a couple jerk members.

I'm kind of scared. I don't feel very confident in myself dealing with manipulative aggressive people. Not sure if I have the confidence to say no yet.

I tried to talk my wife out of it, but she's really having a hard time keeping it in.

Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:12AM

My advice is to keep your religious views, your political views, and your sex life private unless you want them open for discussion and the judgments of others.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:24AM

Everytime I ask people about their religious beliefs, sexual habits and how they raise their kids I get told to f#ck off and mind my own business.

Why do you give these morons any power over you? Tell them to go f#ck themselves and mind their own business.

It works.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:24AM

It's your information to share, not your wife's. You are the one who had the faith change. Don't be pressured to "come out" before YOU are ready, and especially not because your wife can't keep a secret from her mommy and daddy.

But if you are ready, hey, go for it. At least you won't have to tell them yourself.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:43AM

Part of becoming your own man is to play by your rules, not someone else's. Maybe you need to put some time into figuring out what your rules are, and then live them. Life then becomes very rich.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.