Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: startedthinking ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:24PM

DH called and asked me to make sure that $50 will go to the Fast offering from now on. He was asked to pay into that fund because we have so few tithe payers and so many who need help in our ward.
Curious.
So, now added upon paying 10% of gross (cause we need that fire insurance), $100 into the missionary fund (a young man whose family cannot afford to send him on a mission and because "none of your children went on missions" (YAY!!!! yep bad momma said College!) we need you to contribute, we get another 'suggestion'.

At this point I will need to get another job just to keep up with the church contributions from my good husband's paycheck.

Anyone else encountered a set sum for fast offering? btw looked in the official book and it mentions give the food we would consume for the day - think they would take a couple of cans of wheat in lieu of cash?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:27PM

wow.. I don't recall anyone giving out orders like that. I do know they used to ask for the cost of two meals, and sometimes that might add up to a general figure.
The point was always the same. People were not contributing.

The economy these days is probably bringing all contributions down a lot! I would guess that less people are paying a "full tithe" anymore.

Posted by: myantonia ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:27PM

Jeesus H. Christ & Buddha! Glad I'm a nevermo & neverwillbe & so, so glad that hubby wasn't sucked in by those leeches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 03:27PM by myantonia.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 03:53PM

And don't forget a couple of hundred for the boy scouts. The boys need to go to camp to learn how special it is to be them.

Date: August 18, 2013 04:40PM

The ym leader felt boy scouts were not worth the trouble and the boys that were in the ward said scouts were stupid. No troop in our ward for the first time since establishment. But there still is youth conference and girls camp. And oh yes the girl scout cookies sold in the lobby.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 04:27PM

Holy crap it sounds like my house...yep 50 bucks a month for fast offerings...that's 600 bucks a year. Plus the 10% of the gross.

I would stop paying today if I did not love my wife so much. I tried to have her stop but it starts a major fight. So tithing does work for me as an insurance policy. (No fighting)

Dropping dead would be a relief.

Date: August 18, 2013 04:43PM

I need to start thinking that way - it is not worth fighting over.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 05:37PM

startedthinking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need to start thinking that way - it is not
> worth fighting over.

.....well, unless you are in a no frills get by bare minimum house hold where 10% of your gross income is more than 10 % of your disposable income ......because you don't have any discretionary income.

The one good thing about MORmON fast offerings is that it is earmarked for the needy, so a higher percentage of it actually makes it to the needy before LDS takes out their administrative cut.... but then again LDs Inc sucks at that compared to operations like the Salvation Army -who does NOT own any new malls or luxury condo towers.....

Glad you are in such fortunate circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 05:41PM by lucky.

Date: August 18, 2013 06:06PM

I am indeed fortunate, worked hard to be that way.

Date: August 18, 2013 06:33PM

Fortunate now... Yes it really is meaningless after having a son that commit suicide. We were poor then an had to borrow money to bury him. Then we did not have enough money to pay bills and we filed for bankruptcy. We were as low as you could get it seemed.

The pain is everlasting and relentless. If only I could have my son back...poverty would be a blessing,

Sometimes fortune is not what it seems to be looking from the outside.

Date: August 18, 2013 08:43PM

so sorry for your loss, oldklunker

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 09:34PM

startedthinking Wrote:
> so sorry for your loss, oldklunker

Ditto!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 04:34PM

It's always been what you would have spent for the whole family on two meals. Even if those two meals were dinner and breakfast, it would be rare that it came to half that. Think of what pancakes and bacon would cost for a family of four. Maybe $4.00 of bacon, $1.00 of pancake mix, 50 cents worth of butter and maybe another 50 cents worth of syrup. Now, do dinner. We are having taco salad. A dollars worth of lettuce, a dollar for tomatoes, $2.00 of black beans, $4.00 for cheese $1.50 for sour cream, 50 cents worth of salsa and $5.00 of meat. Oh, and $2.00 of tortillas. What does that add up to? Only $23.00 for two meals, for four people. No where near the $50.00 that is being demanded. Now granted, maybe there are 8 people in their family but if they are, I'll bet there are even more frugal with their meals than I am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 04:35PM by CA girl.

Date: August 18, 2013 05:18PM

All kids are grown and gone... So... Just the two of us. And you are right 50.00 is more than two meals. Just habit from years ago when a bishop chastised the ward for not paying enough, pay till it hurts speech.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 04:42PM

Subtract $50.00 a month. Normal families can't afford both.

Date: August 18, 2013 05:00PM

I agree, normal families can't afford both, plus all the additional extras like gas for church activities, and meals for missionaries.

Date: August 18, 2013 05:35PM

If I knew the fifty bucks would really help someone that needed food I would double it...

Date: August 18, 2013 05:55PM

+1

Date: August 18, 2013 04:53PM

That sounds like my tbm parents as well. They now pay the morg $50 a month in fast offerings! Granted they both don't eat $25 worth of food for breakfast and lunch! If I was in charge of their money, all morg related money would be dropped! That's $600 a year that my seventy something parents deserve not some money grubbing cult!

Date: August 18, 2013 05:01PM

Interesting with all the information the church has provided on scams on the elderly that they are not including themselves.

Posted by: notyersister ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 05:16PM

No troop? wow. Mind telling us in which state you live?

BTW, with the girl scout donation you at least get delicious cookies.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 05:20PM

Not long before we finally stopped attending we started putting whatever we gave into the Fast Offerings. The reason being that the money was used locally in our stake instead of going to SLC.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 05:30PM

I am SURE my dear parents gave generously on fast Sunday and covered for many poor families. They were incredibly generous and caring. I, as an Aaronic priesthood holder, deplored and hated collecting fast offerings and only did it once. And not one cent of mine ever went to the church...

Ron Burr

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 06:58PM

We had a bishop who said fast offerings should be a tithing from the tithing. We payed $20 per month for fast offerings that is what we saved on food for 24 hours. If someone already pays $500 tithing to expect another $50 sounds like a lot. Same if someone doesn't have much and can only pay pay $100 tithing to expect a poor person to pay $10 tithing also sounds not fair.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 07:06PM

One more clue that LDS Inc may be bankrupt.

I cannot imagine the looks on mormons faces when, one day, LDS Inc is forced to file bankruptcy.

If you cannot get your hands on a few live chickens, then why not donate a bucket of wheat that all mormons are supposed to be keeping for the second coming.

That might force LDS inc not to use the contribution for other purposes such as malls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 07:10PM by deco.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 07:12PM

This is nothing new.

I remember when I was a teen, one of the Twelve asked members to double their Fast Offerings.

He promised them an increase in blessings - but of course life went on as usual for everybody.

There is just no end to what the morg thinks they need, they must be running low on cash again.

People are stupid to fall for that old con.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 08:26PM

According to the new offering slips, the money donated will go whereever TSSC deems. Don't be too sure all the fast offerings will remain in the ward to be distributed locally. I bet it all goes to headquarters and the assistance to the poor is divied out from the same $7K ish the bishop gets per year to fund all activities.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 09:17PM

+100

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 08:34PM

Does fast offering stay in the ward, or is it deposited into the corp's coffers?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 08:54PM

Ask them to send you a bill and a financial statement showing exactly where the money goes. Or better yet, suggest they sell some real estate.

Date: August 18, 2013 09:25PM

dk Wrote:
> Ask them to send you a bill and a financial
> statement showing exactly where the money goes. Or
> better yet, suggest they sell some real estate.

That's a great idea! But many of us here know that the morg would never do it!

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 09:04PM

Ask DH where in the Bible did Christ ask for any fast offerings or tithing! These offerings are nice but they changed the offering slip to read the offerings can go anywhere the church needs them not necessarily where you think they are going! If I were you I would threaten to quit working! How long can people be blinded by ---- the more they pay the better off they are with God??? Read the Bible!!! Salvation is not by works but belief in Jesus Christ!

Posted by: Smartax ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 09:07PM

Idea for those of you fighting with wife or husband about this issue.
Have two accouts
Write 2 checks from the other acount. One for $20 and the other for the total cotributions less the $20 you are giving. Write that secod check to yourself.
Fill out cotribition slip for the $20 and give it.
Write another slip for the supposed cotrib total
That one is your receipt to show partner if asked
Next day deposit the big check to your account.
Count your blessings.

Sorry but with a partner like that, there is no way to play clean.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.