Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: biggame ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:43PM

So I was just watching Grant Palmer's presentation from the 2012 Ex-Mormon Conference where he describes his belief re: source material JoSmith used for the BoM.

I have yet to read his book so I am unfamiliar with his thoughts on the subject so I was stunned to learn about a Methodist revival/meeting that occured on June 2, 1826 one mile from where JoSmith lived. Really incredible details.

Anyway, I googled the meeting and the first search result was for the Laban Clark Papers

https://www.wesleyan.edu/library/schome/FAs/cl1000-87.xml

I am going to look into this guy now, but really Laban. A famous methodist preacher/missionary from NY with the name Laban. What are the chances.

Such a joke. Why did my family have to be so unlucky to get caught up in this mess.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Istillbelieve ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:47PM

The name, Laban, is a Hebrew name, the meaning of which is "White"--so says Google. In the Bible, Laban was the brother of Isaac's wife Rebekah and the father of Jacob's wives Leah and Rachel. The name was popular with Puritans in the 17th century. It is rarely used today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.