Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:57AM

Of those of you who've discovered and left LDSinc in the past two years or so, how many of you were NOT influenced by mormonthink.com?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:39AM

I was influenced by multiple sources and mormonthink was one of them.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:45AM

Ditto

Posted by: Anonidocious ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:32AM

I second this ditto.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:55AM

Tri-ditto

Posted by: Curious ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:45AM

I discovered mormonthink about 6 months *after* I figured out the church is not true.

But after I saw mormonthink, I devoured all the information and it cleared up a lot of questions that had been weighing on my mind.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:12AM

Ditto

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:48AM

Me too

Posted by: sstone not logged in ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:15PM

Me too.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:48AM

Not really. They just gave further information on things I was already concerned about.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:15AM

Mormonthink was part of a package of sources that helped me see the light.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:19AM

I discovered the church was false back in Feb 2012. My initial reading consisted mainly of books, wikipedia and FAIR. I stumbled across mormonthink.com a few months later, which by this time I already left the church, but it helped me gain much valuable information to continue my research and defend my positions. So it was a big help.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:22AM

I first found Bob McCue's site, then rfm. Not long after starting to come here I found out about mormonthink because people here on rfm were talking about it or mentioning it.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:36AM

I left earlier this year and was heavily influenced by mormonthink.

Posted by: overflow ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:46AM

Mormonthink was a huge influence for me.

Posted by: seektruth ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:54AM

I accepted that I was mentally deconverted from the idea of an anthropomorphic God and Mormonsim's apparent man-made system of faith, guilt and fear around April/May 2012. Then I dove into all the detailed reasons why Mormonism is false by looking at its foundation with info available at Mormonthink.

Mormonthink is a good resource but for me I pursued it only after realizing I did not believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 10:56AM by seektruth.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:04AM

The Temple, followed by this site.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:08AM

I read through and studied mormonthink extensively. I felt it was presenting viewpoints from both sides in a balanced way. I still looked into other sources online as well in order to get a better general view of all the issues.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:10AM

I figured out the church was not true by asking myself this question while reading the book of mormon: "Could someone who was unfamiliar with the english king james bible have written this?" The answer was a resounding "NO!"

Mormonthink, among many other sources, helped to confirm my decision that the church wasn't true.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:14AM

Autumn 2011 after trying so hard to be a Molly Mormon but getting nothing but backlash from husband & kids, Divorce. Newly single. Received an email from family who'd brought me into the church 18 years before telling me they'd learned the church isn't true. Somehow although I was TBM I felt instantly relieved to hear the church wasn't true because it confirmed so many subconscious suspicions I'd had but dared not speak of. No more stress!!! Have felt somewhat lost since then, but no more cognitive dissonance-related stress :-)

Posted by: copostmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:19AM

I left the Church seven months ago, but I lost my belief in the Church in 2005 through studying various books and Internet sites. I didn't discover mormonthink.com until two years ago. I wish I would have had mormonthink back in 2005; it would have made it a lot easier to find information. By the time I found it, I was familiar with most of the issues, but I learned more details about those issues by reading mormonthink.

Posted by: monomo27 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:44AM

I started reading fair then discovered Mormonthink. It was a huge influence in me leaving.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:48AM

I had not heard of it before I decided to leave. If I HAD known of it sooner, I probably would have left sooner. It's a great resource.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:55AM

Rough Stone Rolling introduced a lot of the historical issues and got me thinking. My main issue was polygamy/polyandry, so when I decided I wanted to learn more (knowing I wouldn't get answers from local leadership), I did a google search and the MormonThink page on polygamy was one of the top results. I read it, and I was done. I talked about it with my husband, and he was also done. Then we had loads of fun reading everything else.

MormonThink was very important for us.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:58AM

This isnt a secret church poll, investigating how much exactly mormonthink is responsible for people leaving, is it?

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:04PM

I thought Mormonthink was a lie and I didn't believe what they wrote the whole polyandry thing had to be false but FAIR has helped me leave Mormonism. After Fair said that Mormonthink is right we kept reading that page.

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:41PM

Like subeam, I did not trust Mormonthink.

The brainwashing about not looking at anti sites was strong in me. The site felt anti and I kept away. Instead I read source books of historical records of the time of the early church to make up my own mind.

I still think that current believing Mormons might find the site a bit offputting at first glance (not enough pictures of beautiful temples and other such trappings) and thus anti and avoid it.

Have you guys considered A/B testing for click thrus or site design surveys and feedback? Costs money but invested properly it drives acceptance and is tangibly measured.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:07PM

I was pretty much mentally out of the church because of my discomfort with the temple and social issues. Mormonthink and RfM helped my shelf of other concerns collapse.

Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:27PM

I left with my entire family less than 2 years ago. It'll be 2 in October.

We had already pretty much decided the church was not for us by the time we allowed ourselves to look at MormonThink.

Reading MormonThink helped allay any fears that we were making a mistake. So in that way perhaps it prevented us from getting roped back into the mess of Mormonism.

But MormonThink wasn't the initial catalyst.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:28PM

I wasn't. I was influenced pretty much solely by the Journal of Discourses.

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:32PM

I didn't discover mormonthink until after my deconversion.
But it did help in being able to clarify and provide backup for doubts that I was having.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:34PM

Proposition 8 caused my shelf to collapse, though this website helped. MormonThink came way after the separate.

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:38PM

Religion books in the BYU library coupled with arrogance of church membership did it for me.

I learned about MormonThink after I left.

Posted by: coolelder ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:16PM

I found mormonthink through a fb ad 2 years ago. That got the ball rolling fo me.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:24PM

By the time I found Mormonthink, I was pretty much already done. This was accomplished primarily using "faithful perspective" sources. The SP was what got the ball rolling for me. MT was definitely helpful afterwards though.

Posted by: mcdonkie ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:40PM

Prior to being "free" I had never looked at mormonthink.com. It's interesting how many people found out the truth about TSCC by means of the internet. For me it was: dealing with TSCC in real estate transactions, watching them sped billions on the large and spacious buildings, snotty members at church, annoying home teachers, bishops who never leave me alone, friends complaining about their new calling, hearing about how family is so important yet parents in bishop and stake pres. positions are never home with their families, serving a mission, being told from parents that if I don't take my kids to church that they will not be able to live together after this life, being a temple worker at the SLC temple, after seeing how rude the so called 15 douche pouches treat general members, seeing the destruction in my own family of how TSCC tears them apart. Reading the "old school" church history Vs. new modern church history and how it has been adulterated, reading about the state of religion in the late 1700's to mid 1800's and Joe's treasure digging and alcohol sales. Just to name a few. Whew, that was fun. I am done now. Wait, yep I am done.

And then, and only then did I partake of Mormonthink.com. Every bit of it just reiterates the lies and corruption by TSCC, I would like to share my testimony of the truthfulness of Mormonthink.com.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.