Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermoar ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:58AM

About 5yrs ago when I was 17, I had a really good friend I met as a Senior in High School. She probably would've loved it if I had been baptized but she never pressured me or even talked to me about it.

We just hung out, talked about boys, she invited me to church, mutual, seminary, etc. Well, this one time I went to seminary and I remember the teacher started saying how if we prayed hard enough, we could see God and it didn't have to be his whole physical body, sometimes we would just see a finger. (I was like WHAT?!) And then he started talking about other religions. He said that other churches, like Catholicism, are okay with their members just being carpenters or other blue-collar workers just because Jesus was once a carpenter, but nooo not Latter-Day Saints because they preach higher education and becoming professionals. (I was like DOUBLE WHAT?!?!?!) I was slightly offended because I was raised Catholic and my mother is a devout Catholic.

Another time I went to mutual and we went caroling because it was around Christmas time and my friend was soo smug about knowing a lot of Christian Christmas songs and I didn't. I recall another time we went to mutual. Before her mom dropped us off she said, "When it's over, wait right outside when I come pick yall up". Well, we got caught up talking to some other friends afterward and her mom ran inside and said, "I told yall to wait, lets go". Looking back at that night, and from reading so many posts on here, I can only guess she didn't want some other molly-mormon mom recognizing her and stopping to talk/question her about her life for 934823 hours. But what do I know.

Then I remember her telling me about how devastated her brother was because he was at BYU trying to marry his girlfriend, but she thought it was too soon. She wanted to study abroad and do other things. (I think she did get to study abroad, but they were married soon after). So sad.

I remember after high school, I ran into these 2 sisters at my apartment complex. It happened to be Thanksgiving and I was wearing some comfortable soffee shorts (which happened to be really short). They gave me a BOM, but not before disgustingly staring at my bare legs, as if I was going to hell for being so immodest.

Ah, life....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:14AM

Now you must warn the others!

: )

Posted by: top ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:55AM

Posted by: ohlawd ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:43PM

Hahah

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:49PM

yes, it felt about that long waiting for my mom to shut up after church

Posted by: hehe ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:07PM

+1

Posted by: roflll ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:59AM

Lol

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:16AM

When people and circumstances seem a little bit peculiar, it is usually the tip of the iceberg. If your gut reaction is to run--then run! (Then warn the others, ha-ha)

Posted by: Testiphony (can't login) ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:16AM

Weirder still, the whole just seeing the finger of god wasn't just that person's brainfart. It's based on the book of Ether, in which a holy man makes stones of glass to present to god for him to touch with his finger, thereby causing them to become little flashlights to light up their barges as they floated to the Americas.

Just one example of Mormonism's anthropocentric view of deity. Albeit not quite as repulsive as their god's need for a body to have celestial sex with harems of women and create righteous spirit babies, which you can also enjoy for the low low price of ten percent of your income in perpetuity, scrubbing toilets, and several hours of your time every week.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:37AM

+1 for "anthropocentric view of deity"

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:00AM

I get the impression that Smith was not good with abstract thought. A lot of LDS theology seems to be the result of condensing Christian doctrine into more concrete explanations (literal humping space deities, no Trinity, etc.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.