Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:07AM

Also, it would upset my wife needlessly. Continue to resign. It was just a thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:27PM

That's like refusing to leave a traffic roundabout you were coerced to enter. You just go round and round, getting nowhere and becoming nauseous.

Unfortunately, I have no snappy counter-metaphors for Distressed Spouse Syndrome. Just sympathy.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:31PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's like refusing to leave a traffic roundabout
> you were coerced to enter. You just go round and
> round, getting nowhere and becoming nauseous.

True, but I have an even better example. Getting a dishonorable discharge from an army you were conscripted into.

> Unfortunately, I have no snappy counter-metaphors
> for Distressed Spouse Syndrome. Just sympathy.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:31PM

I know I'm doing to myself but I'm in love.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:39PM

Then save her. If you live in Utah, put in for a job transfer and get the poor woman out of here. Take more weekend trips. Get creative. You can love her right out of TSCC.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:42PM

You can take a woman away from a lot of things, but for devoted religious people there has to be some catalyst and I'm still looking.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:44PM

Get her a subscription to Sunstone, or a copy of "Rough Stone Rolling."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:47PM

I was excommunicated. I later sent in a letter, when I heard a rumor that I was only disfellowshiped, which was probably my punishment for skipping my "Court of Love" in order to have sex with the woman I was being punished for having sex with, so I sent in a letter anyways. I never heard back from that letter though, and that was almost a year ago, so I am thinking I either was excommunicated, or they couldn't find my membership record, because I have a super common name, and only a vague idea of what unit had my records.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:07PM

Has she read the 132 section of the D&C. Does she realize that the fact that that section has not been revised means that it is still scripture. The entire section is still scripture. That is the equality that TSCC preaches.

Every home that has a framed Proclamation of the Family, should also have a framed copy of the 132 section of the D&C.

Date: August 27, 2013 03:32PM

We've been over all the information I "have received" and like in the temple, she is "the man."

PETER: Good morning.

LUCIFER: Good morning gentlemen.

PETER: What are you doing here?

LUCIFER: Observing the teachings of these people.

PETER: What is being taught?

LUCIFER: The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture.

PETER: How is this teaching received?

LUCIFER: Very well! Except this man does not seem to believe what is being taught.

She doesn't doubt that things were different and weirder back in the day, but in talking to her father (former stake pres) she has adopted his stance - The Church is still developing.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:35PM

I figure whether or not to resign is a personal decision that has a different answer for different people.

For some people not even giving the church the respect to resign is their preference and I totally respect that.

For others like me, the clear statement of resigning was an important part of the process. Some reasons resigning was the right choice for me:

- I wanted to formally renounce my temple covenants I had made and feel zero responsibility to them and have no guilt for saying things like: "health in the navel, marrow in the bones, strength in the the loins and in the sinews..."

- I wanted to take a clear stance that I was not a member of such a destructive organization and that my name was not on record of supporting it, even implicitly.

- I wanted to establish a clear line with TBM friends and family that I was not wishy-washy about this and that any attempts to reconvert me were a waste of effort.

- Living in Utah, I wanted to be able to answer "no" with no internal hedging or explanation when asked "Are you a Mormon?"

- Besides I like the bragging rights that I have resigned when talking to other exmos, heh.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 01:44PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:41PM

The Oncoming Storm - bc Wrote:
> - Besides I like the bragging rights that I have
> resigned when talking to other exmos, heh.

I'm Green Jell-Ous.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:50PM

I didn't mean to sound like everyone should resign. Avoiding family drama is a perfectly good reason. Ditto for neighborhood or job drama. You should get to pick your own fights.

As for TOS's reasons, they cover precisely why I resigned. Well stated. I would add one more reason: I am not on any ward membership roster, and will not be assigned Home Teachers, will not get called to clean the building, and will not get any phone calls from the exec secretary to come in and meet with the bishop. (I know, being in a part member family can muddy that issue)

I didn't resign so I could lower their claimed membership numbers. With or without me, those numbers are fiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 02:51PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:56PM

The Oncoming Storm - bc Wrote:
> I figure whether or not to resign is a personal
> decision that has a different answer for different
> people.
>
> For some people not even giving the church the
> respect to resign is their preference and I
> totally respect that.
>
> For others like me, the clear statement of
> resigning was an important part of the process.
> Some reasons resigning was the right choice for
> me:
>
> - I wanted to formally renounce my temple
> covenants I had made and feel zero responsibility
> to them and have no guilt for saying things like:
> "health in the navel, marrow in the bones,
> strength in the the loins and in the sinews..."
>
> - I wanted to take a clear stance that I was not a
> member of such a destructive organization and that
> my name was not on record of supporting it, even
> implicitly.
>
> - I wanted to establish a clear line with TBM
> friends and family that I was not wishy-washy
> about this and that any attempts to reconvert me
> were a waste of effort.
>
> - Living in Utah, I wanted to be able to answer
> "no" with no internal hedging or explanation when
> asked "Are you a Mormon?"
>
> - Besides I like the bragging rights that I have
> resigned when talking to other exmos, heh.

Well said BC. These are some of the same reasons I resigned too.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:35PM

Everyone needs to handle this in their own way.

If someone is suffering from harassment and they hate it, I'd encourage them to go ahead and resign or they might have to take some rather extreme measures to protect their privacy.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:40PM

I see resigning kind of like unsubscribing to some stupid magazine you don't like that someone signed you up for. You're just gonna have to call up the dang company and tell them to unsubscribe you. Of course, its a different story if your wife did it.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:55PM

I'd love to resign! But consideration for the feelings of deluded loved ones prevents it. Like you, I feel I have no contract with them. Eight year olds can't make contracts. As for temple covenants, screw them. I was coerced and/or duped into that. They're meaningless and culty.

BTW, I'm rationalguy. Had to re-register because my password manager crashed, and I apparently registered with no email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 03:56PM by rationalist01.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.