Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NotNow ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:57PM

During the conference when the missionary age change was announced, Monson ask for donations for the missionary fund. And I think that appeal has been repeated at other times.

Now we see workingwoman’s post about the appeal for supplies for two new sister missionaries in Boise, Idaho: “A surge with no funding?”

At the very least it would appear that funding for the surge was not in any budget -- remember how the decision was made and announced so rapidly that few GAs knew about it initially?

But maybe the surge is revealing deeper financial problems, what with all of the temples under construction, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:01PM

There's an anecdote in the book Wife Number 19 that talks about how when a batch of missionaries was heading out, the then already wealthy Brigham Young called for the members to donate to the outfitting of the missionaries. He proceeded to keep the proceeds and send the missionaries out "without purse of scrip".

I personally would not be surprised to find out that the church just used the surge as a good excuse to ask for money, without needing it.

As the supplies could just as easily be a local member taking initiative rather than a church-wide program.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:02PM

Send more money so I can build a new mansion (for Christ of course).

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:03PM

Don't confuse cheap with poor.

They know they can squeeze the members for more so they do - its like Yertle the Turtle.

They are still throwing millions and billions of dollars around like candy for pet projects.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:03PM

They may have lost a pile of cash during the recession, as they were probably invested heavily in many affected places. I wouldn't doubt they are feeling some strain. Educated people in developed countries (money) are not buying the story, and they are mainly baptizing poor and disadvantaged people who are not a profit center.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:28PM

Didn't they admit that they lost 600 million dollars? I believe I read that in an article here on RfM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.