Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:45PM

We had the missionaries over for a dinner a couple times when we were newlywed TBMs.

The first time was okay, but a bit awkward. The second time, one of the dudes was a complete asshole!! Even complained about the dinner, I wanted to smack him.

After that, we never had them over again. It bugs me when people talk about what a great and special experience it is to have the missionaries in their home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:02PM

Oh please have them over again.
The dinner should be canned spaghetti,cool aid, and jello for desert.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:05PM

When I was a kid I loved it!

My mom was a great cook and would make something "filling" for the boys; lasagne, fried chicken or pot roast, all of which were normally Sunday Meals.

My younger brother and sisters would climb all over them and roughhouse. My older sisters and I would have crushes on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 04:06PM by DishyDoodle.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:11PM

Im betting you lived out in the "field"?

SLC in my experience, for some reason, is different. Like qeenb said. Whenever we had them over, it was always just awkward.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:42PM

Yep, in the field.

TSCC tracked me down where I am currently living and sent the Missionaries out to bring me back into the fold. I would never invite them in, but would sit on the front porch with my young son and share a treat with them... while telling them interesting facts like Joseph Smith marrying other men's wives or Brigham Young's "death on the spot" for mixing w/seed of Cain.

Ah... I will miss those discussions and shocked looks on the innocent-ish faces. Officially resigned in July from something I never opted into!

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:18PM

I've never had a problem with missionaries over. It's a bit awkward like meeting new people normally is, but they normally asked like normal guests.

They made polite conversation, tried to help clear the table, shared a short lesson that we paid attention to enough to respond, then they would leave.

I thought it was kind of nice to offer them a meal as a TBM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.