Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:54PM

Coffee helps the heart, blood sugar, cuts cancer, reduces stroke, all in one article, with references:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2013/aug2013_New-Findings-on-Coffees-Cardiovascular-Benefits_01.htm

So yeah, not drinking coffee is officially a law of obedience, not a law of health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:00PM

The only downside I have heard is regularly drinking more than 4 cups a day correlates with shorter life span. So, moderation, no extremes.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Date: August 27, 2013 02:10PM

Part of the problem with old research and coffee is that the researcher's didn't seperate the smokers/coffee drinkers, from just coffee drinkers. Once they studied only those that drink coffee and don't smoke the health benefits became evident.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:48PM

New information is that Coffee Drinkers may live longer...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/coffee-drinkers-may-live-longer/?_r=0

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-News/NIH-Drink-Coffee-Live-Longer-Longevity/2013/02/20/id/491238

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 06:51PM by whatiswanted.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:22PM

Danl,
I like your screen name. My bro is named Danny, and I always call him Danl, cause thats what our grandpa always called him.

Posted by: don'thaveanameyet ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:25PM

I've tried desperately to like coffee, making it as much like a milkshake that I can, but I could not get over the burnt flavor. Whereas I used to like the smell of coffee, now it makes me a bit nauseous. I've seen others here that couldn't get into the habit either.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:44PM

Green tea is better for you. I wish I liked it nearly as well.

Date: August 27, 2013 05:22PM

This was at the end of the article in the box:

There’s now compelling evidence that a combination of coffee consumption and green tea offers superior protection than either alone. A 2013 Japanese study found that people who drink 1 or more cups of coffee per day and who drink 2 or more cups of green tea daily have about a 23% lower risk of all strokes, 20% lower risk of ischemic strokes, and about 29% lower risk of hemorrhagic strokes, compared with those who drink neither beverage.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 05:49PM

I have found my coffee, it is super fine.

I think most American coffee is burnt and bitter. I only use instant to flavor my ice milk, can't stand the flavor if brewed.

But here on the island, I have found a small producer of organic coffee. "Hamakua cloud forest coffee" is the finest I have had.

I buy the beans and grind them. 1/4tsp grounds makes a big mug. This coffee is expensive, but a little goes a long way, and the quality is way worth it.

I boil filtered water in a small steel pot, turn the heat to lowest, and stir in 1/4tsp grounds, steep for five minutes or so. The brew is translucent like tea, smells great, and tho it is mildly toasty, it is not bitter at all. No milk or sugar needed for this coffee, it is too good by itself. I love to eat the grounds in the bottom of the cup, yummy.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:52PM

Like most things, I think the key is moderation and balance. Maybe the benefits are canceled out if you have your coffee with lots of fat and sugar and artificial who-knows-what. I like my coffee with milk, no sugar. Everyone likes it different.

Coffee does temporarily raise blood pressure, so that's something to consider too. My doctor actually suggested I have an extra cup of coffee in the afternoon to offset my low blood pressure and help alleviate my dizzy spells and head rushes. Now I'll think about the health benefits listed in the article too every time I enjoy my cuppa joe.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:01PM

LOVE COFFEE! The necture of the Gods!! As a side perk(pune intended) The extra energy; I believe helps one burn calories-hence control wieght. And alittle +,Coffee grounds are good for the garden!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:52PM

I am more of a tea drinker, but I like an occasional coffee.

Tea is one of the healthiest things you could possibly drink other than water. Mormons guzzle down root beer laden with sugar, but they eschew tea because JS somehow thought that tea was bad for you. People have been drinking tea for thousands of years, but not know-it-all Mormons.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/tea-types-and-their-health-benefits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 06:54PM by axeldc.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:09PM

I loved the part about coffee and tea being taken together having additional healthful effects. lol.. poor Mormons.

When I used to point my jackmo sister to articles like that, she would say it's obedience test like you said. But right at the beginning of Section 89 it says "not by way of commandment." So, it's neither a health code or an obedience test. It's just plain wrong!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.