Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hikergrl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:25PM

In elderly wards, are the members without family permitted to leave their assets to the bishop? I'm sure legally they could leave assets to whomever they choose. . .but does the church allows this? How about former bishops? I think something fishy might be going on in my mother's ward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:18PM

? Sounds really fishy alright.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 05:46PM

That doesn't sound right. I know people that leave their estates to the church. I've never heard of it going to the bishop. Maybe you got a fraudster there?

Date: August 27, 2013 07:53PM

Maybe they think they are giving it to the church and that the bishop will see that it's done correctly. These elderly people trust way too much, especially when the bishop works in the finacial markets. This could be really ugly!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 05:50PM

Bet you a week's worth of Fritos that both the church and the heirs of the couple would contest a will where they left a substantial portion of their estate to the bishop.

There may be something that a bishop signs with LDS Inc that would prohibit receiving large gifts from ward members. I have never heard anything about that, one way or the other.

As for gifts to former bishops, I don't see how LDS Inc could go after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 05:56PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 05:55PM

Maybe "presiding bishopric" of TSCC?

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:52PM

This happened in a little midwest branch I attended. This elderly brother with no family wanted to leave his money to the branch he worked many years to help build. He literally paid for our meeting house. That was the old days when members had to pay the majority toward their building.
Anyway MO headquarters told him the money had to go to the church not the branch. He wrote his will so that his money would go to the BP (whoever that might be at the time). He believed that any BP would be honest and see that everything went to the branch. You guessed it...BP bought himself the biggest, fanciest custom van with the money. He said the van was so he could better serve the members. The SP didn't see it that way. He got to keep the van though after his hasty release.

Date: August 27, 2013 10:24PM

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I can see "nice" bishops or former bishops helping the elderly in their last years and then collecting their assests after they die. And this may be perfectly legal and I'm sure many would think it's a win-win for both parties. I'm sure the smart swindlers will not buy flashy van, but hide it or take vacations and such. Think about, a bishop knows who's got money/assests and if they've got family too. GRRRRRRRR. . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.