Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:14AM

Can't sleep tonight.

Had ear surgery last week and now I get audio hallucinations (really!). Scares the bejeezus outta me, so I'd rather just stay up all night.

Oh, and I'm still worried DH has dementia. He left food burning on the stove 3 times this week and left his keys in the front door this afternoon.

He's recovering from surgery, too. So it could be his meds.

Christ-on-a-pancake . . . ain't getting old fun?! <snort>

;o)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:16AM

It's only 9:15pm out here, so it's still early in my book.

I hope you & your DH recover soon. :)

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:17AM

Wow! Sounds exciting at your pLace. What kind of hallucinations?

Date: August 28, 2013 12:23AM

I googled it last night hayduke. Totally normal stuff. I've lost most of the hearing in one ear. So the body compensates and "creates" sound. Music, low murmurings like like a party going on, the sound of traffic on a freeway.

Nothing earth shattering. But I swear to GAWD if I were still Mormon, I'd be calling all the upper-echelon priesthood holders over here to cast out Satan!

;o)

P.S. And I know it's early out west Tristan. I'm on the East Coast. Sigh. Y'all are prolly watching TV and stuff while Satan is REALLY trying to get me. ha.

Date: August 28, 2013 12:24AM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off condescending. :(

I'm personally not watching TV right this second. Hehe

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:28AM

I'm 66, recently retired. I have seen several people's older years cut short by their adhnerence to the Christian Science cult. Treatable diseases that would have given them decades more useful life.

As I begin the aging process, I have resolved to face it cogently, realistically, and pro-actively. To keep myself as mentally and physically fit as I can, and to accept the inevitable decline, even as I try to postpone things somewhat.

My wife has caught me with a stove burner on occasionally. And I'm already noticing my spacial awareness has deteriorated. So i have to be extra careful in parking lots. And (Oh, this hurts!) I sometimes leave the turn signal on.

This from a guy who has been a professional driver for a half-century, including tractor trailers and police cruisers.

Oh, woe!

Date: August 28, 2013 12:31AM

I was in high school when Colleen Dewhurst died of cancer. I absolutely admired her as an artist, & was shocked to find out that she was a Christian Scientist (I don't like to follow people's personal lives, for the most part). I don't know how advanced her cancer was when she was diagnosed, but it just made me angry anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 12:32AM by Tristan.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:29AM

I'm up, but I hope your hallucinations get better before we discuss them!!

Actually, I'm sympathetic, I have been nearly deaf in my right ear for the last 20 years and if I sleep on my side with my left ear on the pillow I used to hear all kinds of weird stuff. I've gotten used to it now, but it used to freak me out.

Good Luck to you and DH on the recovery!!

Date: August 28, 2013 12:36AM

OMG!!! That's it!

The same thing happens to me!!! I'm just not "used to" it yet. Freaks me the hell out.

I'm not kidding - if I were still Mormon, I'd attribute some kind of demonic stuff to it. I'm talking to the Doc Friday.

;o)

Date: August 28, 2013 12:47AM

So you may have experienced the breaking in of the house by pounding on things, singing somewhere in the vicinity, a rather boring GA lecture where you can't make out what they are saying, and the best are sounds of a train or car without a muffler that are right outside or in the distance when you breathe in. I hope you don't have this, but you'll be able to distinguish it all in no time unless stuff doesn't get better.

Good Luck!!

I drove a girlfriend crazy by getting up out of bed every 15 mins. chasing down auditory hallucinations when my one ear deafness first happened, but then the brain adjusts - except for a very few exceptions on very few occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 12:49AM by templeendumbed.

Date: August 28, 2013 12:51AM

Oh dear gawd, templeendumbed . . . there better not be a GA talk in this mess!

;o)

Date: August 28, 2013 01:12AM

Hey, I'm not wishing this upon you, I'm just saying!!! Maybe you'll get lucky and only hear the Grateful Dead concert at Cornell in 1973 where they do the sweet Scarlet - Fire version of things. I hope that's how it ends up for you. I've never gone to a doctor about this, just had to learn from injury. However, if it helps your mind, don't think of it being a GC address, just think of it as a boring NPR All Things Considered Story on Republican relevance and insightfulness and you will know you can ignore this crap without missing anything.

Enjoy!

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:31AM

Me! Catching up on work! Sorry to hear of the aging problems. ((hugs to us all))

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:45AM

I don't have to be up, its daytime here in Oz. Sorry to hear of all the problems you are having. It sounds SO weird and I can understand how it must upset you. Yup growing older is SUCH fun, but I guess there is little any of us can do but enjoy ???? it! Heh heh!

I hope everything turns out just fine for you and your hubby!!

Lynn (big hug!!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.