Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:00PM

For about a month or so I've had a terrible cough. I visited my doctor about it, and i was told essentially that he could do nothing about it. Fast forward a few weeks. I was visiting my grandmother, and we were discussing how coffee can be used in a pinch to help a person having an asthma attack. This got me wondering if having some coffee might help me breath better. My TBM grandmother brewed me a batch (she likes coffee, she just has to pretend like she doesn't), and within about five minutes i found myself coughing up phlegm without much pain or difficulty.

In my unscientific anecdotal experience I've found coffee to be good for the body. It's helped alleviate this pesky cough that I've had better than anything else I've tried. Panacea? No. Just more proof that the WoW is a joke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:04PM

Also if you need pain medication.....even just a Tylenol, have a cup of coffee with it and it boosts the meds.

Posted by: luge ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:50PM

And my Kuerig (sp?) arrives today! Very excited. It's a "hot chocolate" machine. That's what we tell the kids. :)

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:05PM

It's a mild antidepressant too. Google it.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:09PM

I used get bronchitis about once a year until I started drinking coffee. I never get it anymore. I can see how it helped your cough.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:25PM

The Word of Wisdom is a joke. But there are many negative health effects of coffee. Starting with how it triggers the release of stress hormones almost immediately, which we interpret as a rush. Some people notice when it causes the heart to race. More stress hormones means less resistance to stress and overtaxing the necessary balance of the adrenals. It affects insulin levels which causes blood sugar to drop and cravings for sugar. Environmentally, much of the deforestation in South America is for the production of coffee.

I've been addicted to coffee most of my life. Wish all this was not true. The negatives of coffee far outweigh the benefits our culture tries to find in haphazard studies. http://arealfoodlover.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/50-ways-caffeine-effects-the-human-body/

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:29AM

Does she post sources for any of her claims? She had a huge list, but no sources.. I'm interested and skeptical. At the moment the caffeine is actually the safest drug for my depression, but I want to know more.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:01AM

There's a book called Caffeine Blues by a researcher biochemist. Very interesting. I love coffee too, don't mean to be the barer of bad news.

http://www.whale.to/b/caffeine_blues.html
http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-Americas/dp/0446673919/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Date: August 29, 2013 10:37AM

Those sites don't have the studies referenced either. I'm looking for scientific peer reviewed studies, not scary propaganda, had enough of that from TSCC. The book might contain those grade of references, but I'm skeptical.
I don't doubt that no drugs for a healthy person is probably best, but I also don't think everything will kill you.
Questions I have about the claims that were made are, did they do double blind tests and test only caffeine by monitoring the diet of those tested, or were they just doing rough surveys?
Was it caffeine that affected their blood sugar, or their diets?

That's why I would want to see peer reviewed sources, so I can make sure it's real science being used and not jack-science.

Date: August 29, 2013 12:56AM

You know what is worse for your health than caffeine, Morg membership. It produces all those bad results :-) . it's constant drain on your life force causes you to seek stronger drugs to keep you "happy" so more morgbots can join in the delusion.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:34AM

All I know is that coffee tastes great! I've had enough to know whether it harms me, too. It doesn't.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:28AM

One thing that helps me, as I work in an office and sit most of the time, is to get up and walk around.

My favorite coffe these days is Bullet Proof coffee, or upgraded coffee.
https://bulletproofcoffee.wordpress.com/

T-Bone

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:27AM

I've been drinking a cup o' Joe every work morning for the last couple of months. It helps me stay focused at work (I have mild ADD), and it keeps my metabolism up. Getting used to something slightly bitter has also made me crave sweet things less. And caffeine is an appetite suppressant, too.

It does create a bit of physiological stress, but in my case it's helping me lose weight. I've been exercising and trying to watch what I eat, too, but I doubt the coffee is hurting. I've lost almost 20 lbs. in the last 10 weeks or so.

As with so many things, the key appears to be moderation.

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:33AM

Pharmacologically, caffeine is similar to theophylline which is a prescription drug used for treating astha. No surprise then that coffee might help with respiratory ailments.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:41AM

Everything, well most everything, doesn't work for everyone. Coffee might have negative effects but I think personally, for me, the positive outweighs the negative. If you are unfocused, unmotivated, low metabolism and depressed - sitting around all day, it's worth taking a few risks to get your life back. Even prescribed anti-depressants have risks. You just have to evaluate the risks v. rewards and how it relates to your specific body chemistry and situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.