Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ck ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:38AM

My 6 year old son had to fill out an "All About Me" sheet for his first grade class. It had questions like favorite food, favorite color, I love _____, I hate ______, this summer I _______, etc.

Up until 6 months ago we were TBMs and we have not said a thing to him regarding our current feelings about the church. We have only missed two Sundays when we have not been traveling.

His paper said, "I hate CHURCH!"

So I guess he won't have any problem with not going any more, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 02:13AM by ck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 02:32AM

My nephews hate church too. Unfortunately for them, their mom is a TBM, & their dad & stepmom are Jackmos who are currently trying to go back to church.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 02:56AM

My daughter and her family left TSCC and now go to a different church. They wear their casual clothes, the kids have activities and it only last one hour. Now when they drive past their old church, they say, "hey there's that boring church we used to go to".

I think most kids would gladly give up three hours of sitting in uncomfortable clothes being told to be quiet.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:03AM

Quote: "I think most kids would gladly give up three hours of sitting in uncomfortable clothes being told to be quiet."

...and uncomfortable chairs

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 03:40AM

You're lucky. Now get him out there and have all the fun you can think of on summer sundays.

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 10:58AM

Kids are good at seeing things for what they are. They only want to do what they enjoy. It is only as time goes by that they start to become "guilted" into doing what others think is best for them.

When I left, my oldest son felt that he should still go to church because, even though he hated going, it was the "right" thing to do. Eventually he learnt that we are so much happier not going to church.

My younger children however, were so happy to stop going, they actually started cheering when I told them! Unfortunately my six year old expressed his feelings to his TBM aunty and also mentioned how boring church was. He had his ear shouted off until he started crying and I received a nasty email asking how I could "let" my son think such things. Kids think what they want and it is healthy to allow them express their feelings.

Obviously your child feels confident enough to speak how he feels. Good on him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.