Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: esias ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 04:28AM

The Book of Mormon falls at the first hurdle as a poor collation of literary faux-pas - an earthly test beyond the high-flying abilities of a self-confessed prophet of God. The result is a tumbled mass of repetition ('and it came to pass', 'exceedingly'), anachronisms, plagiarisms, oddisms and tautology: for example:

4:4 And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you.

We are led down the garden path to believe that space on the gold plates is at a premium, yet we are delivered with a tangled web of needless repetitions and tautologies. Oddisms provide the family with endless hours of fun for an alternative Family Home Evening. Your starter for ten:

2:8 And it came to pass that he called the name of the river, Laman, and it emptied into the Red Sea; and the valley was in the borders near the mouth thereof.

• Even the youngest in the family will surmise that no such river existed. How odd can Joe go?

16:30 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did go forth up into the top of the mountain, according to the directions which were given upon the ball.

16:31 And it came to pass that I did slay wild beasts, insomuch that I did obtain food for our families.

• Nephi (no doubt followed by David Attenborough and a hungry film crew) goes to the top of the mountain to kill wild beasts!

17:1 And it came to pass that we did again take our journey in the wilderness; and we did travel nearly eastward from that time forth. And we did travel and wade through much affliction in the wilderness; and our women did bear children in the wilderness.

• Woops! My missus has dropped another sprog into the sand. One of these days I'll get round to learning their names.

17:10 And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools.

• Another impressive trick: How did Nephi extract ore in a desert without tools?

18:1 And it came to pass that they did worship the Lord, and did go forth with me; and we did work timbers of curious workmanship. And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work the timbers of the ship

• How did Nephi find trees in the Arabian desert?

Joseph's plagiarisms (worthy of a volume) are perhaps the biggest indicator that the origin of the story has more mundane home-spun origins rather than a God-led travelling circus troop of Jews from Jerusalem. We can be impressed that Joseph had paid some attention to the Shakespeare dispensed in English class!

18:13 Wherefore, they knew not whither they should steer the ship, insomuch that there arose a great storm, yea, a great and terrible tempest, and we were driven back upon the waters for the space of three days; and they began to be frightened exceedingly lest they should be drowned in the sea; nevertheless they did not loose me

• Perhaps Joseph had Nephi in mind as the original Prospero. All he lacks is a big stick with which to beat his brothers.

The tricks continue with an inexhaustible supply of Lamanites for the culling, and half a dozen or so brothers with the Masonic skills to construct Solomon's temple:

5:16 And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon's temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.

Beware of the literary cliché which can be a killer!

18:43 And it came to pass that his servants took him and carried him in unto his wife, and laid him upon a bed; and he lay as if he were dead for the space of two days and two nights; and his wife, and his sons, and his daughters mourned over him, after the manner of the Lamanites, greatly lamenting his loss.

• Laid low as if dead by a terrible cliche!

30:50 Now when Alma had said these words, Korihor was struck dumb, that he could not have utterance, according to the words of Alma.

• Give the family ninety seconds and bonus points to find the Biblical source!

Perhaps Joseph the prophet couldn't foresee the advent of Egyptology and modern Archaeology, or perhaps he didn't care.

Heleman 3:7 And there being but little timber upon the face of the land, nevertheless the people who went forth became exceedingly expert in the working of cement; therefore they did build houses of cement, in the which they did dwell.
3:8 And it came to pass that they did multiply and spread, and did go forth from the land southward to the land northward, and did spread insomuch that they began to cover the face of the whole earth, from the sea south to the sea north, from the sea west to the sea east.

• No evidence of buildings of cement or of a people who did 'cover the face of the whole earth'. How much ziff would one of these houses cost?

Naturally, Joseph falls for the trap of perpetuating a the Biblical myth of a fascist racist God intent on expanding an intergalactic empire of Aryan super-sons and daughters. A racist God seems par for the Mormon course:

2:15 And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites;
2:16 And their young men and their daughters became exceedingly fair, and they were numbered among the Nephites, and were called Nephites. And thus ended the thirteenth year. III Nephi 2

But for some Joseph's greatest crime is a dreary lack of literary imagination.

18:30 And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever.

How Mormons can consider this turgid mass of tautology and repetition to be the work of the Lard bewilders the literary imagination of a first-grade English student. Not to mention the seventeenth-century stylie, not to mention an angel of God with a message of murder by command, not to mention ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 05:22AM

How could anyone read this verse from 4 Nephi 1:

6 And thus did the thirty and eighth year pass away, and also the thirty and ninth, and forty and first, and the forty and second, yea, even until forty and nine years had passed away, and also the fifty and first, and the fifty and second; yea, and even until fifty and nine years had passed away.

and not see this as literary road-kill.

If I wrote like this as a child I would have been prescribed ritalin and issued a helmet and a mouth-piece so I couldn't hurt myself.

Why would god speak in 17th century pigeon english anyways? Is he trying to tell us that Sir Francis Bacon actually wrote the majority of Shakespeare's plays and Billy was as big a fraud as Joey?

Hmmm.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 10:36AM

More importantly, why would anyone engraving this on metal plates use such phrasing?

"Hmm, Only another two lines to the end of the plate... screw it I'll just add some filler."

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 10:39AM

Posted on another list:

Students at the University of Utah are being offered something new this semester: a class in the Book of Mormon as literature. The class is taught by Professor David Bokovoy, a practicing member of the LDS church, but it will not consider such questions as whether or not the Book of Mormon is true, or the circumstances concerning its origin. It will focus on "the internal qualities of the book itself," according to Bokovoy. He said that students will gain "an appreciation for the complexity and beauty of this text that has had an impact on millions of people." Professor Bokovoy has a doctorate in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East from Brandeis University.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:45AM

OMG. Can I take this class online?

I have always wanted to study under an authentic, practicing academic whore.

Isn't this the literary equivalent of the University of Utah Medical School offering a class on Philippine Psychic Surgery by William DeVries, world renowned heart surgeon...with a disclaimer that there will be no discussion regarding whether any surgery actually took place.

Please tell me someone is taking this class and will return and report.

Anagrammy

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:03AM

Thanks RP. I have heard of this dude vaguely although I haven't read his doctorate. Our best advice to University of Utah students is don't waste your literary time. Our RFM team could put on a course that I'm sure students would find a whole Jared-magic-submarine-full of fun and would bury the bones of the BOM tub of tosh at the bottom of the briny.

Best regards

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:52AM

Perhaps Professor Whackjob could do a class discussing the similarities between the BOM and the book about the travels of Marco Polo and Captain Kidd.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:25PM

Why does he love the term "curious" workmanship? What is that even supposed to mean?

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:00PM

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:37PM

Twain's comments hold up pretty well:

"'And it came to pass' was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet."

The whole thing is well worth reading:

http://www.mrm.org/topics/documents-speeches/mark-twains-review-book-mormon

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:17PM

One of my favorites is the use of the past tense in making
supposed prophetic predictions about the future. How obvious
do you have to be?:

6 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the
Lamb of God DID FULFILL all righteousness in being baptized by
water?

7 Know ye not that he WAS holy? But notwithstanding he being
holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to
the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth
unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping
his commandments.

8 Wherefore, after he WAS BAPTIZED with water the Holy Ghost
DESCENDED upon him in the form of a dove.

9 And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness
of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they
should enter, he HAVING SET the example before them.

10 And he SAID unto the children of men: Follow thou me.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we
shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?

-- 2 Nephi 31:6-10 (emphasis added)

According to the note at the bottom of the page this was
supposed to have been written some time between 559 B.C. and
545 B.C.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 01:23PM by baura.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:26PM

esias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 2:8 And it came to pass that he called the name of
> the river, Laman, . . .

So that's what he called the NAME of the river. I wonder what
he called the actual river. I wonder what the river's name was.

See "Through the Looking Glass" cf. the White Knight's Song.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.