Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:40PM

A FB friend of mine posted this (copied and pasted)

"Disclaimer: I am completely physically fine.

I was driving home tonight from Snowflake in the dark, coming home from the temple, going about 70 mph. Rocking out to some hymns and feeling good. Then, out of freaking no where, this dirtbag car drifted into my lane right in front of me, coming at me head on, only about five feet away. I swerved into the lane next to me just in time, the car skidded, I veered into the other lanes, my car turned around completely, nearly rolling into the ditch. I somehow made it back into the right lane, completely safe. I was convinced that my car was going to flip. If I hadn't acted the exact second I did, the other car would have plowed into me going 70 mph. I pulled onto the side of the road and started hysterically sobbing for thirty minutes. I called my sister and she talked me down out of my shock, my mom came and got me, and now I'm home safe. I'm so blessed to be alive right now, and I know that God definitely saved my life tonight.

I don't mean to make this into a PSA, but I think the other driver was texting, and that's why he suddenly drifted into my lane. Please don't text and drive, you guys. It isn't freaking worth it, no matter what it is. I was just nearly in a major car accident, one of which would have most likely killed me.

I love all you guys so much. Thought you ought to know."

~anonymous friend

But she clearly didn't have enough faith, otherwise that car would have never gone in her lane. And you should have seen the comments. It was all about how lucky she was and how her priesthood blessings were working and I'm thinking "Wow. It's not like that kind of stuff happens every day to non-Mormons and atheists too."

Doesn't she know that the automatic reaction at "the exact second" is not exactly an unusual brain response? But maybe I'm just being cynical. Perhaps her faith just got a hard on at the last second and saved her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:29PM

I had a car accident where my car spun out across four lanes and my car stopped when it hit the concrete barrier that separated the 8 lane highway. My car ended up facing the wrong direction.

I don't believe in the mormon god, but I was saved, too. I bet the mormon god used up his powers saving me and some poor mobot could not find her keys. Or some missionary didn't get his or her first choice missionary posting.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:42AM

Well, some people of faith (those in the Hare Krishna faith, most definitely included) do believe that even "non-believers" can experience such incidents to teach them life lessons, such as the value of life and not to just take it for granted, as well as to help them spiritually grow ...

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:37PM

Yep. God made the other car swerve into her lane so he could then immediately and definitely save her life. Makes sense to me.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:39AM

Well, perhaps God could have used that experience as a lesson to teach her: to value her life, and not take it for granted; to get serious about the important things in life, to avoid regrets later in life; and ... not to drive at 70 mph unless that is the speed limit ...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:41PM

I agree with you about texting and driving. AND I think 70 mph is too fast.

Posted by: nonni ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:42PM

I was in three separate accidents when I was a mormon. I survived them all just fine.

I haven't been in any since I became non mormon.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:45PM

I hit a guardrail going around 60 to 70 MPH in an AVEO--My dog nor I were hurt. I was able to salvage the car and repair it. The only engine damage was a leak in the radiator. The car held up really well. I also could have flipped over the guardrail and rolled down the hill by it.

I wonder what saved me that day? I was headed to my boyfriend's who I've been in a sinful relationship with for 8-1/2 years.

**I was just thinking--the mormon God must have saved me so I still had a chance to come back to the fold before I die. (I wasn't texting--just lost in thought after driving for 7 hours across Wyoming.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:46PM by cl2.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:08AM

I'm betting FHSA standards played a role.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:36PM

Shut up! Federal Highway Safety standards are not faith promoting! ;P

Posted by: Istillbelieve ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:51PM

Such ridicule! I think God saved you all. LOL.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:00PM

What's so hard about writing this:

"Really had a scare tonight. I was probably driving way too fast for the conditions I was in and was stupidly distracted by rocking out to music instead of paying attention to the road, and someone else was doing the same thing, plus they might have been driving while distracted, or intoxicated or sleep-deprived. I think I narrowly escaped what could have been a fatal accident.

Boy, was I lucky! I'm so glad I was lucky, and I'm shaking but recovering. I'll make it point not to drive so fast next time, and while that might not save me it could reduce risks."

Gragghhhhh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:02PM by frogdogs.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:05PM

My policy (and this comes after living a certain number of years and learning a certain amount of life's lessons):

Leave Early, Drive Slowly.

Date: August 28, 2013 04:40PM

Ain't that the truth!

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:05PM

I was in 2 fairly major accidents as a TBM - all coming back from church-related events.

Since leaving the church, I've had numerous near-misses (and one fender bender that caused no damage to either car) that were avoided simply because I was alert and paying attention. See how it works both ways?

Your friend is spot on on one thing, though: people need to stow their electronic devices while operating a heavy piece of machinery hurdling down the road at high speeds.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:06AM

"rocking out to some hymns" LOL!

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:28PM

that was my favorite part, too!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:38AM

Interesting. I was in several car accidents in the seven years I was an active TBM, including on my mission. No one was hurt "thank God" but I have not been in ANY accidents in 10 years since my resignation.

Posted by: Charlotte Darwin ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:38PM

It wouldn't matter whether you believe in God or not, I always thought it would be funny to share a story like this because it would show how "blessed" you are:

You drive in to work, work all day, then drive home. Uneventful, same as day to day. No accident, no death. Oh my! Look at the miracle! Must be God watching over me even though I am such a sinner. It makes so much sense, because if you did get into an accident, even just a fenderbender, that means God was sleeping on the job. Right?

I just don't get people who suffer from some terrible event and survive it give credit to God. If God was watching out for you the terrible thing wouldn't have happened in the first place. That makes aboslutely no sense. It shows arrogance for one thing, like you are somehow more special than the average Joe.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:49PM

1/82000 of a second. Over an 80 year lifetime, a person's cumulative share of god's time is slightly less than 3/8 of one second.

This data supports my opinion that THERE IS NO GOD. It's all just a magical fairy tale.

Posted by: houseonsand ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 07:16PM

70 mph going forward, another car coming 70 mph straight at you, 5 feet away, conditions less than ideal... And making it away safely?
That is more unbelievable than anything I've heard in church.

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:20PM

Perhaps Mormon God called God on a mission to teach people things. An unpaying job, over-worked and inept at teaching, as god was previously a janitor or some unrelated job, god makes a mess of everything. The people make of it what they will..

blessed is an over-rated word.

Date: August 24, 2013 08:03PM

Blessed is used way to much for the most ridiculous and mundane things.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:39PM

My wife was involved in a car accident on the freeway. The other driver clipped her driver's side rear fender when s/he changing lanes while not paying attention. After hitting my wife the other driver kept on going. The impact was so hard it caused over $5000 in damage to my wife's car. The officer who responded was amazed my wife didn't spin. I thank the god of ESC for saving her life. Who is ESC you ask. It's Electronic Stability Control. Thank you Hyundai for making it standard equipment on all your cars.

Posted by: non ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:49PM

She should not have been going so fast with the music on. Distracted driving for sure, not defensive driving.

Isn't saying "freaking" the same as f)(*&(*_? That alone made the whole post incredibly annoying!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:21PM

Hmm. She calls a guy a "dirtbag," and God protected her. Way to go. Mormon God is awesome!

Posted by: Hamican ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 05:09PM

That is true Mormon God compassion right there. Great job Mormon God :) you really know how to brighten an irresponsible Mormon kid's day!

Posted by: Oneyanda ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 12:22PM

Well when you're a Mormon then you get more blessings cause...well...your better than everyone else! Duh!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.