Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 07:18PM

Because I expressed interest in seeing the BOM musical, which will be in San Antonio for about two weeks next month. My husband and I have been wanting to see it for a long time...

Well... my husband was so annoyed by that guy's comment that he told me to buy tickets. So we're going to see it at the Majestic Theater on Sunday, September 29th at 7:30pm. Got decent seats, too! My husband says the show was relevant to his apostate interests and he just won't brew beer that day.

I figure if that guy was really a friend and had paid attention to my posts, he would already know what I think of Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 09:17PM

on others.

I envy you that you got tickets!

Date: August 30, 2013 09:30PM

He just came back with more shame. He doesn't know that I have many exmo friends. I bet he unfriends me soon.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 09:33PM

Tell him that when things go bad (like you guys enjoying a musical), he should just throw his hands in the air and shout "Hasa Diga Ebowai!".

Date: August 30, 2013 09:42PM

I explained to him that while many people do find the show funny because it pokes fun at the church, there have been others who have joined the church because of that musical. Is it really that different than what the Osmonds did in the 70s? Yes, the Osmonds were always positive about Mormonism... but hell, today, most people have the Internet and can read about about the church before the mishies ever visit. The church spins the publicity in a positive way... it invites people to read the book that inspired the show. Some people have responded. I bet that without the show, those people might not have made the effort.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 09:26AM

I'm glad that you got tickets, Knotty. Lucky you! How is life in San Antonio? Are you settling in?

Date: August 31, 2013 09:53AM

Our transition was a bit rough, but things are starting to fall into place. I have a travel blog where I have been posting about all our new discoveries and such...

http://travelingovereducatedhousewife.blogspot.com

I am delighted that we got tickets. Lyle Lovett is also coming to San Antonio next month and I'd love to see him again. Last time we went to one of his concerts, it was in Germany and we were among the few who got his jokes!

Next year, we will probably either decide to stay here or move again. Either way, I'm hoping we can get our own house. I've about had it with being a renter.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 11:30AM

I like your blog. Interesting that San Antonio doesn't have a variety of supermarkets. You've been sampling some nice restaurants!

My friends in Texas complain about airfares from there. They often pay more than I do, coming from the east coast, to travel to the same place up north or out west.

Date: August 31, 2013 12:24PM

Thanks summer. We like to go to nice restaurants. We're lucky in that there were already people here that we "knew". Plus, my husband's awesome mother lives near.

I was pricing flights to go home to Virginia for Thanksgiving because my mom is laying on the guilt. I think it's going to be too much... $1400 for the both of us.

There is another supermarket chain here called La Fiesta. I haven't actually seen an outlet yet, but I read they do exist.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 10:06AM

I'd now write on your wall just how excited you are to be going to see the show. Just completely ignore what they said.

Date: August 31, 2013 10:21AM

It's too late to ignore it. I just thought it was strange that this guy, who probably never had a real conversation with me when we "knew" each other in person, thinks he can tell me what to do in my spare time. I'm guessing he's never seen the show and doesn't even know what's objectionable about it. It's the same thing that happened to me when a couple I knew in the Peace Corps scolded me for reading "Secret Ceremonies". That reaction is based on fear. If the church is really that incredible, its legitimacy won't be threatened by a snarky Broadway show.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 12:17PM

THIS is exactly what you should reply with.

And leave it where others can see it, lest they also feel "inspired" to chastise you about something or other.

Date: August 31, 2013 12:25PM

Fortunately, my other TBM friend just had a baby and doesn't seem to monitor my wall anyway. I doubt she'd comment.

I probably ought to unfriend that guy.

Posted by: JPTA0207 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:15PM

Just saw BOM musical in Dallas last night- you will LOVE it. It's absolutely hilarious, my cheeks hurt from laughing so hard. The best part, in my opinion, is that ALL of the mormon characters, even the morman women characters are all played by white men. So many wonderful little details you will love. We went with nevermo's and they loved it as well, but I'm certain I laughed the hardest.

Date: August 31, 2013 01:17PM

I'm really looking forward to it!

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 03:08PM

I was there too! Turn It Off was my favorite!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 01:20PM

That show has a mixed bag of responses to. Hard to know how someone is going to respond.

Posted by: jbstyle ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 09:33PM

Very true. There should be a trigger warning on the show for child rape. I had to leave because of one of the songs which mentions it in passing and treats it as if it's too absurd to be real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2013 09:34PM by jbstyle.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: August 31, 2013 02:06PM

I saw it last night. Every exmo should see it for its therapeutic value. I had tears streaming the whole time because I have never laughed so hard. My TBM husband went with me and he thought it was funny in parts too. I could tell when some of the jabs were uncomfortable. He was a good sport though.

Date: September 01, 2013 09:49AM

I imagine any media is bound to get differing reactions from anyone. I just think people should have the right to decide for themselves.

One thing I did notice is that back in the mid 1990s, when a TBM couple I knew in the Peace Corps reprimanded me for reading Secret Ceremonies, I felt kind of ashamed. It didn't occur to me to be irritated that they had scolded me for my choice of reading materials, since I figure they never read the book but had only heard about it from church leaders. Since I'm not now and never have been Mormon, I wouldn't be subjected to those opinions and was certainly old enough and smart enough to decide for myself what was trash.

This time, instead of feeling ashamed, I felt very annoyed. It surprises me when adults feel like they can tell other adults what they should be reading or watching... or listening to.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 11:29AM

When is it coming to Utah?!!!!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 11:56AM

I saw the BOM Musical last month in DC. It was a riot!

Have fun!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.