Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 05, 2013 05:30PM

I'm back for one brief moment to comment on some things.

This weekend, I asked my mom about some things that were going on in TSCC during split schedule. I was only 4 when we went to block, so what I succinctly remember only applies to Junior Sunday School.

I asked her why the sacrament was given in Junior SS when we would later have it in Sacrament meeting. She responded that the sacrament was given during regular Sunday School, & adult classes as well. I asked her why. She said that it was because most people would just skip Sacrament meeting. I was shocked! Most members skipping SM?!? Then it all made sense.

• Block schedule was really made so that people were forced to show up to Sacrament Meeting.

The general church membership is clearly more radicalized now than they were 40, or even 35 or so, years ago.

40 years ago the average member -

• Wasn't so hung up on "modesty".
• Didn't wear white shirts to church. Modest mustaches seemed OK.
• Ate out on Sunday.
• Was most likely to skip Sacrament meeting.

& those were the TBMs.

People have commented that in an even earlier time, many older members were still drinking coffee & probably even tea.

It seems as if anytime the GAs make an announcement or there is a cultural shift inside the TSCC, most of the members, whether they are TBMs or not, just go along with it for looks sake, even if they think it's stupid. For instance -

• False "modesty"
• White shirts / very short hair length / no facial hair
• Keeping the Sabbath day "holy"
• Going to **all** meetings on Sunday

Of course, there are many members who eschew the "rules", & just do what they want, whether they are TBMs or NOMs.

Overall though, it seems as if the general membership in the last 35-45 years has become more radicalized than in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 05:30PM by Tristan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.