Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:12PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:24PM

It was in 2 Nephi.

15 And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance.

16 And I, Nephi, did build a mall; and I did construct it after the manner of the mall of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s mall. But the manner of the construction was like unto the mall of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:29PM

Wow...i totally missed that after reading the BOM nearly 5-times.

I totally spaced on Solomon's Mall...Thanks so much for pointing it out!!!

Are we also to assume that Solomon's Mall had a Cheese Cake Factory and a River Runs Through it as well???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:33PM

Personally I was disappointed that it didn't have a P.F. Chang's.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:41PM

lol they had to update it for current times

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:32PM

bible reading/studying will show that Hinckley is not much a prophet at all.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:47PM

Actually it was in Genesis 6:

14 Make thee a mall of iron and cement; stores shalt thou make in the mall, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the mall shall be one city block.
16 Windows and fine stores shalt thou make to the mall. Upon the completion thereof, thou shalt proclaim "Let's go shopping" to the inhabitants of the earth.
19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the mall to increase thy wealth; they shall be male and female, NOT male and male OR female and female.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:22PM

I dont remember that well but there was something about a big building to be spacious and have fine apparel and they would mock the poor, I think it had a river that ran thru it and a railing next to it....

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 07:33PM

"Where In The Scriptures Is A Prophet's Job Description As: "Mall-Builder"?"

I believe there is a good doctrinal precedent for The Mall in D&C 124: 56 - 83

56 -- build a house, Mr. Prophet and his kin get to live there forever.

72 -- Prophet (resident) only needs to pay $15000 for it

All the other verses -- everybody else needs to pay big $.

For instance, verse 56 reads:
And now I say unto you, as pertaining to my boarding house which I have commanded you to build for the boarding of strangers, let it be built unto my name, and let my name be named upon it, and let my servant Joseph and his house have place therein, from generation to generation.

and verse 70 read:
And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant George Miller, and my servant Lyman Wight, and my servant John Snider, and my servant Peter Haws, receive any stock into their hands, in moneys, or in properties wherein they receive the real value of moneys, they shall not appropriate any portion of that stock to any other purpose, only in that house.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/124.56-83?lang=eng#55

I'm sure its only a minor clarification of doctrine to spend $2 billion on some penthouse suites for the GAs and a shopping mall (rather than a boarding house) to help visitors part with their cash.

RG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 07:33PM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: Priesthood Porky Pig ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 08:54PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:29PM

It goes back to the Vikings, who built many a maul.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:37PM

Its in Matthew:
Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built a mall upon the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that mall; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built a mall on sand. The rain came down, City Creek rose, and a tornado blew and beat against that mall, and it fell with a great crash.
One More:
Verily, it is easier for a rich man to build a mall than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.