Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:46AM

I'm going to be in the greater SLC area, at my TBM sister's house, this coming weekend, Sept. 14-15. They know I won't be going to church with them, but I want to do something during that time other than twiddle my thumbs. Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:51AM

go on a hike.... the mountains are beautiful this time of year!

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:52AM

The zoo is pretty cool... Or, drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon (or maybe it's Big Cottonwood) to a little place called Silver Lake. There are zillions of beautiful places to go in the mountains out there to get some wonderfully fresh air, check out the wildflowers, and reflect on the epic natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains.

That's what I'd do. I live in a giant swamp and I miss the mountains.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:56AM

Meet some exmo's at a coffee shop! I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would like to meet RFM's own illustrious Stray Mutt!

Posted by: jangadai ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 03:43PM

If you like this option, there's a great (and large!) group of post mormon regulars that meet at Kafeneio (258 W. 3300 S., Salt Lake) at 1 on Sundays.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:00PM

I've dropped in before, and yeah, they're good guys as well...

Thanks for getting this information out there...

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:59AM

Having lived in Utah for the last 38 years you would think I would be able to tell you all kinds of ideas of what to do but alas I am boring. I do however love to go to the mountains so the drive up one of the canyons could be just the ticket. I also love to drive up by Strawberry through Heber. Many moons ago I took the family for a drive up there about this time of year although I don't know exactly when for sure. It was fallish though. We drove up around the west side of the reservoir and there was a little stream running down the mountian into the lake. We got out and walked along the streem for a little ways and saw the most amazing sight. The stream bed was bright red with hundreds of salmon bright red swimming up the stream to spawn. It was amazing and beautiful. I had no idea there were fresh water salmon in Strawberry.

Anyway, there are lots of places to go and things to discover. Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 12:30PM

The Park Silly market and fair on main street in park city or
Oktoberfest at snowbird

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 12:34PM

I work in the art lab at the Leonardo! Come visit me!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 12:36AM

I love the Leonardo! Stray Mutt - that's a great way to spend a Sunday. Or head for Park City. It's always nice to see what the real humans are up to.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 12:36PM

Temple Square and the great and spacious mall!

Posted by: decieved for years ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:36PM

Get on Le Bus and take the day trip out to Wendover with the rest of us heaten, lost souls. I've always said the best fun you can have in Utah is when you leave it. And Wendover is full of mo's, no-mo's,never mo's and just plain people sick of mo's! Plus, you get a free lunch buffet....and no GREEN JELLO!!!

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:44PM

Sunday brunch at Belgian Waffle. Used to go there as a teenager and went again last time I visited Utah and the place is almost unchanged.

No seriously I would walk temple square and remind yourself how you have it so good now in your life.

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:52PM

Trolly Square isn't bad. Personally I like hanging out at libraries and universities. U of U library is likely open on Sunday and you can also stroll around campus and see if there are any activies. Sometimes they have neat campus cafaterias with ice cream or something nice for lunch. If you check the newspaper on Friday and Saturday they sometimes let you know if there are any fun weekend activities in town. I also like going to Park City. It's cooler there in summer due to higher elevation and I like going to the old part and walking up and down looking in the shops. I've always wanted to get one of those fringed leather jackets so if you have some "throw away money" feel free to pick one out for me. lol Cheers.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 09:59PM

I like to go shopping at the mall on Sundays. I suggest you find the biggest, fanciest mall, and... now wait that one is closed. What kind of idiots build a mall, then keep it closed on one of the busiest shopping days of the week?

Posted by: Jujube ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:23PM

Crossroads Urban Center is having a wine and cheese fundraiser at The Bayou. 645 South Stae Street on the 15th of September from 1-4 pm. $50 at the door, but goes to a good, nonmormon cause. Can you believe some people help the less fortunate AND drink wine?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:29PM

I suggest the zoo. I love that zoo.... One of the most enjoyable parts of our living there. And then visit with the postmormon group.

Posted by: Lois Lane ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:41PM

Go to Gilgal gardens, just off 7th east between 5th and 6th south.

You will have a wonderfully spiritual quiet meditative moment.

Yes there will be a Mormon tinge to it, but somehow it isn't about Mormonism. It is about contemplating eternal questions. It is not about being dictated the answers.

If you have never been there, you will be glad you went.

If you HAVE been there you will be amazed at how it has been lovingly cared for.

When it comes to a place where a person can "feel the spirit" Gilgal Gardens is it for me.

But if that just won't do try the Peace Gardens and tell me how they have survived the decades.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:47PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:53PM

I keep threatening to make it down that way; I'm not sure there's anyone around from the crowd we last got together with, but they're good guys...

You can also e-mail me; same old e-mail addy... Sunday mornings usually find me wiped out from Saturday night, but I do get to a coffee shop regulary in the afternoon. My friend who hangs there went to our old high school, although I'm kind of doubtful you knew him, but it's possible... He's an ex-Mormon, too...

I don't know what rodolfo and some of the Postmormon crowd do, but there's often a get-together...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:16PM

gilgal

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 11:44PM

Everybody just about covered everything--even if you don't have a car--for a couple of hours to a full day. I don't know which canyon is closest to you--Silver Lake is in Big Cottonwood. Octoberfest is at Snowbird in Little Cottonwood, and they have zip-line and a coaster. Albion Basin at Alta is beautiful. Corner Canyon is between Sandy and Draper, and Millcreek Canyon is walking distance from many houses in Holiday. Liberty Park is entertaining for a couple of hours, with its boat pond, and Tracy Aviary. I spend most of my Sundays in Park City. We go to a cute little Christian church, with tall windows that look right up at the mountains. Then we hike, or look in the shops, or go to Park Silly and the farmer's market. Sometimes, we drive over Guardsman's Pass, which takes you over the mountains to Brighton. You can do whatever you are in the mood for! Enjoy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.