Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:02PM

The stake relief society has been prepping for their "walk to the temple" activity. The full walk is 6 1/2 miles, though some will start at a church building that's about 1/2 a mile away from the temple and just do the last 1/2 mile. Not only do shoulders and waists have to be covered, shorts aren't allowed either because it's inappropriate on temple grounds. Granted, the weather should be fairly mild that morning, but really?

I joked with my husband that if I were going, I'd wear shorts the entire walk and just pack a little flowy cotton skirt with my water bottle to slip on over my shorts right before the temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Extbm1324 ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:16PM

It is all sort of silly isn't it? What I find funny in rexburg is the strict dress code at BYUI, and yet when the guys and gals do their work out, they are permitted to wear whatever. Which is fine, but I see it as a their only time to show off their goods, I have seen both guys and girls wearing short shorts, and many guys running shirtless, and the girls just wearing tank tops, which are tight. Which again is normal in the real world, but it is funny how everyone is forced to adhear to the strict dress code except when working out, and I see these same people run by the temple daily. Sort of hypocritical really.

I would love to hear their reasoning for it. Obviously it is not a big deal, so why should wearing shorts to any other class be a big deal.........

Date: September 10, 2013 06:20PM

Crap... I know I don't keep it a secret where I live, but to have someone remember that and tie it into other posts... lol Are you in the area too?

Posted by: Extbm1324 ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:22PM

Hahahah, I read the board frequently, and am originally from rexburg. So I remember those people from rexburg, I have a couple different names I have posted under, jl1718, sorry to be confusing. We have talked in posts before lol

Date: September 10, 2013 06:23PM

Ah, that makes sense. I recognize that name, but not this one.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:24AM

Ever notice that volleyball is the latenight show on byu-tv? All those bouncing college kids is the epitome of adult entertainment.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:19PM

Hang on. Melbourne? My stake has a ward doing this too.
Is this happening in other places?
Is this walk to the temple happening all over?

Or maybe you are in my ward?

Date: September 10, 2013 06:21PM

Melbourne? Extbm1324 up there mentioned my location. I wonder if it is a more wide-spread thing. Hmm....

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:37PM

Its 10km from my ward. Who's great idea_wasn't_this?

Lame

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:20PM

We were going to have one of these. I suggested we take the train 95% of the way there and most people started nodding their heads in agreement. Then God sent the floods the week before the event and it was canceled. Maybe you can start praying?

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:21PM

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:23PM

We had similar in Calgary, so it is pretty widespread.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 06:54PM

This is just flat out stupid. How about just going and spending the same amount of time volunteering and doing service at a women's shelter, homeless shelter, or maybe children's hospital? You know, something that actually makes a difference.

Posted by: glittertoots ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:12PM

When our stake did the walk to the temple (7 mi) this this summer it was to help prepare them for their upcoming Trek (25 miles).

I'm only mid thirties but it makes me sad how militent the YW's programs have become with regards to the youth and shorts/ tanks/ swimsuits etc compared to when I was that age. I went to my high school prom with a sleeveless dress (high neckline) and felt guilty the whole darn night about it. And now the kids pretty much have to always wear church attire to stake dances now instead of casual. I'm still trying to re-program myself about growing up with that mindset. Surprisingly my husband is worse about this than I am. I remember more than once in our early marriage him chastising me because my skirt came *maybe* 1 1/2 inches above my knee. I know.... scadalous.

Posted by: anonni ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:04PM

And the point of this walk is????

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:36PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:08PM

And my kid is involved. 20 mile to damn temple and for what?? It's crazy IMO.

Posted by: glittertoots ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:13PM

At least in our area it's to prepare them for Trek but seems a little late in the season for that now.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:28PM

Trek too late in the season? Why does that sound familiar..............

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:57AM

LOL. Perfect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 06:57AM by left4good.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 07:10PM

With all of TBMs' money going to the cult, guess they cannot afford to do anything else for entertainment?

Who doesn't want to walk a long ways, dressed in Sunday clothes ,and then sit through a boring 2 hour session which accomplishes nothing.

Dear God.... they should try doing that up the coast in Oakland...LMAO

Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:22PM

Another idea of the brethren to increase revenue.

Tire you out by a long walk, like a foodless long fast.
Make the goal the place they want you to go. Fill your mind with it. So, you make sure that temple recommend (is that even a word?) is up to date. Tithes paid in full.

Ah, TITHES!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 09:04PM

They want to tack on an hour-long walk BEFORE hand? So they'll all arrive all hot and sweaty at the temple?

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 09:14PM

session(s), or do you trek it back there on foot?

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 09:38PM

It seems ridiculous....PR much? Advertising: "Look at Us"....

Weird idea.........weird church.

I hope they don't do that in S. California....too risky, too much traffic.

And I can't imagine that in Hawaii.....the roads are narrow on the way to Laie Temple.

DUMB DUMB DeDUMB

KJ/AnonyMs

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 09:43PM

Someone posted on here about a year ago about a similar event which also specified "no shorts". Ridiculous all the way around.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 10:09PM

Clearly the mormon god is offended by the bodies he made!

I enjoy attending an episcopal congregation where there's everyone from the traditional grandmas in fuddy-duddy clothing to the hot young thing with intricate back tats, always wearing a midriff exposing getup to allow them to be seen.

Seeing her doesn't make me think "how disrespectful!" I'm simply glad she wants to be part of our community and isn't judged for shallow reasons.

Beards. Shorts. Jeans. Boys with long girly hair. Girls and women in pants. Women in skirts or dresses. Men in suits. Guy who looks like he belongs in a Jimmy Buffet video chatting up the Wall Street Journal type. It's all over the map. Far more important than what people wear is how they treat each other. So many seem to get this, without any problems whatsoever.

The Borg obsession with pretending that their imaginary god is offended by shorts on temple grounds is so far beyond my ken of understanding now - 25 years exmo - that it really does boggle the mind. What a shallow, narrow and petty life such a god demands.

Like there aren't about a billion other things more important than showing a little shin or knee flesh....poverty, suffering, injustice, war. Minor things like that.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 10:07AM

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 03:49AM

Is now a bad time to mention the handcart trek I took when I was 14 in the Illinois hot mid-July heat with barely any water? I don't think Mormons care about your safety or comfort in these situations. I can't remember what I was wearing but I'm sure I was wearing 'modest clothing' which was probably jeans. I also did have a heat stroke later that day. Scariest.Thing.Ever.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:07AM

Do they have to wear their garments for this walk too? A temple session with sweaty and stinky people. Sounds like fun.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:49AM

Whose idea of a stupid activity is this? What's the point?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 07:33AM

Six and a half miles?

Relief Society?

Are they trying to halve the Stake's membership?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 07:34AM by Stumbling.

Date: September 11, 2013 11:17AM

Okay, to clarify, they are not attending a session upon arrival. They're walking in otherwise "appropriate" work out clothes (but no tanks, bare stomaches, and no shorts) and stopping at the stake center just below the temple for a snack and rides back to where they started. It's supposed to be a time of spiritual contemplation and enrichment.

But yes, shorts are offensive on temple grounds, but sweaty, work-out-gross bodies are okay. They're going around the parking lot and behind the temple, too, so they don't distract the people entering the front for sessions.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 11:46AM

Someone needs to film this and put it on You-tube. This is perhaps the dumbest idea I've ever heard for a Relief Society activity. What happens when they get to the parking lot of the temple? Do they turn back and walk through the neighborhood again? Do the husbands pick them up in the parking lot? Will EMTs be available in the parking lot? How does this activity enhance the sacred nature of the temple? I think someone needs her meds adjusted.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 01:09PM

I'm thinking the whole point is to make these women so uncomfortable and delirious, but as long as they're focusing on getting to the temple, it's all ok in the end. Pretty much how the whole church works ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.