Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:10PM

I come from a long line of ministers, a Chaplain Major in the Army, and missionaries in South America, some going back before the Civil War. I was a convert to the LDS Church from a strong Christian home. My husband was a true believer all of his life until he died this last January. I was a true believer for over three decades before I changed my mind.

I give of my time and money to many causes for a variety of reasons. I often buy gift cards from a restaurant, or a store debit/credit card, the 99.99 cent store, etc, to keep on hand when I want to give to someone. I give them to relatives sometimes ,(just because), friends as gifts, and sometimes to missionaries.

I found out recently that the missionaries won't take cash, but will take gift cards.

I'm happy to help out as I know they are living in poverty conditions - while claiming they are OK. I have family that went on missions and a husband that served. We appreciated anything others did for our family, even though they were not living in such financial straits.

Why do I do this? These young people are someone's child, grand child, niece, nephew, friend and are loved. Some are very young. I know about that! Also, some of them have one parent that is no longer a believer.

I do a little bit to help out others when I can. It's about humanity, not specific beliefs.

Gift cards or debit/credit cards is just one way that is handy and easy to keep on hand so I don't need to make a separate trip to buy them. (I have some difficulty walking, these days.)
I also buy them on line to send to family and friends as gifts.

I care about the human being regardless of their specific beliefs. I find that being kind is very powerful.
Besides, I don't need to have people angry with me or vengeful!:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 04:11PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 07:41PM

Good idea.

I can see a missionary tithing on a gift card from the 99 cent store.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 08:08PM

I tried to buy 99 cent gift cards at the 99 cent store one year for xmas. We were supposed to buy one dollar gifts for people in the office. But they would only sell me five dollar gift cards.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 12:55PM

I like your attitude of kindness. I have a friend who has not been to the LDS church in 40 years who always welcomes LDS visitors to her home. She is a genuinely good person. The missionaries love her, even though they know she's not interested in the doctrine.
I'm still new at being out-of-the-church so am dealing with many emotions. While jettisoning some mormon teachings, I want to hang on to kindness.
Keep posting, SusieQ#1. You have much to share.

Date: September 11, 2013 01:32PM

I have used many approaches to dealing with the LDS Church and it's members, and my husband of over 50 years who was a true believer to his death, just as I predicted!

I'm reminded of the old adage I learned as a youngster: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar !

If we want to be be accepted and loved and given credibility, we first need to be kind. Just "make nice-nice" ! :-) No ulterior motives, just honesty and sincerity.

When I have taken an argumentative, or abrasive, or "right fighter" approach, it almost always fails to generate long lasting relationships. Blowing up at someone is not a relationship builder. (Ya, I tried that too! FAIL!) Thinking I must change someone and get them to see what I see-- ahh... not so much!

I have a strong belief in respecting other people's rights and knowing when to sit down and shut up! :-) (That's always a tricky one for me!)

Human beings are capable of the most altruistic and greatest to the most depraved, and destructive. Because of that position:
I hold the individual responsible for their behavior and how it impacts me, (positively or negatively) not an organization, or a church, or a group, etc. I refuse to be a victim.

Those are some of the reasons that I promote a positive, healthy, kind approach. When I didn't do that, a terrible mess resulted that I needed to fix. (I really hate messes!)

There is great power in treating others the way you want to be treated. It also makes our lives so much more enjoyable!

I can change my mind about my religious views, which I have done three times, at least, in my life, and do it in a positive way that shows respect and honors everyone's else's rights to their beliefs also.

That requires that I: forgive everyone, everything, every time.
That's a biggie, but it's worth the effort.

When we let go of the negativity and live with inner peace, life is amazingly beautiful.

All of the teachings from many masters about how to live a life of peace --- really do work, when we practice them.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 01:20PM

Often, when my aunt used to (I don't know, maybe still does) see missionaries, she'd call them over and had them a 5 or a 10 and say, "Your mom asked me to give this to you," and leave without identifying herself. She was the mother of five boys, and said that she hoped other mothers were treating her sons the same way. Yes, she was (and still is) TBM, but she has a heart of gold.

Date: September 11, 2013 01:34PM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Often, when my aunt used to (I don't know, maybe
> still does) see missionaries, she'd call them over
> and had them a 5 or a 10 and say, "Your mom asked
> me to give this to you," and leave without
> identifying herself. She was the mother of five
> boys, and said that she hoped other mothers were
> treating her sons the same way. Yes, she was (and
> still is) TBM, but she has a heart of gold.

I used to hand them money, (I knew my kids on missions really needed it) but they won't accept it anymore: hence the gift cards!
I love doing these things as a former Mormon. It really confuses them! :-) They don't know what to think. It totally destroys all of the things they have been taught that are negative and ugly about someone who leaves their church!
I think it opens doors also!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.