Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:34AM

I've seen quite a few posts on here lately that mention going to Hell. Are they teaching that now?

I don't remember hearing much if anything about Hell in church, 1965-79. I had a concept of Heaven and Hell, a good place and a bad place, up or down, but I think I got it from TV and from other kids who weren't Mormon.

Hell had a devil with horns and fire and everything. I never thought I might actually go there.

Whatever happened to "the Telestial Kingdom is so great, you'd kill yourself to get there" and "the hell is in knowing you didn't make it to the Celestial Kingdom"?

The difficuty of earning an eternal punishment that's really very bad is the only thing I would say that ever made Mormonism sort of somewhat attractive. Has that changed?

What are they teaching about Hell?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 09:29AM by munchybotaz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:02PM

The one I heard was "Hell is meeting the person you could have been, had you tried". Okay..................give me an in depth explanation of THAT one folks!

Date: September 14, 2013 08:52PM

The ultra-TBM-mega version of me is about the LAST person I'd want to meet. :)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:52PM

Well, when I was TBM I likened it to the feeling of getting a Silver or Bronze medal when you had it in you for Gold. That feeling of disappointment in yourself and beating yourself up, extended over eternity.

And is it really H.E. Double Toothpicks? In Canada it is H.E. Double Hockey-Sticks.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:33PM

I've given up asking Mormons about that topic.

When I ask, they tell me that the Church's doctrine
is comprised in the Standard Works.

When I ask what the Book of Mormon's teachings about
hell really mean, they refer me to the D&C. When I
ask for an explanation of the D&C revelations, they
tell me to re-read the Book of Mormon and to get
my endowments -- then I'll understand.

Sounds like an eternal run-around that Franz Kafka
might have invented.

UD

Date: September 14, 2013 08:56PM

because I keep seeing people say they're going to hell for this, that, or the other thing, and I don't recall that being part of the vernacular.

Kind of like how they talk about grace all the time now. There was no grace when I was a kid, that I ever heard of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 09:02PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:30PM

The best I could ever figure out, the Book of Mormon's
Hell must be located about half-way between the Telestial
Kingdom and the Lake of Fire.

As a kid, my Mormon neighbors told me that I was a
son of perdition and was destined for the Lake of
Fire and Brimstone, there to join Lucifer and all
his fallen angels.

So, if the LDS cosmographers would be so kind as to
point out the location of this fascinating lake, maybe
we could use that map as a help in getting to Hell.

I suspect that it is probably located "near Kolob."

UD

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 09:58PM

My TBM husband tells me I am going to hell...well, I say I am having a big party there!!!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:07PM

Worrying about "What could have been?" I've never done that in this life, I don't expect to in any proposed next one either.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:33PM

I always kind of figured that I would go the Terrestrial Kingdom, because I hadn't really done anything bad, but I also didn't feel any where near perfect. I've joked about going to hell as long as I can remember, but that phrase didn't have a real meaning for me.

The scariest description of the Telestial Kingdom that I ever heard was that it would be like earth and you would have all of the habits and urges of mortality, but without a body you could not satisfy those habits and urges. No wonder JS wanted to go to Celestial Glory with all of those wives. He had some serious urges.

Date: September 14, 2013 10:41PM

Like feeling the urge to masturbate, then realizing that since you are in a lower kingdom, you have NO GENITALS!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:58PM

Years ago when I still went to church and read silly religious books I always liked the BOM's description of hell. Basically it is a state that someone is in when they are eternally separated from God. In that sense, even the Terrestrial kingdom was hell.

I always found that more real and profound than thought that hell was downward and feeling the fear of living forever in a flame landscape running away from a horned devil.

Date: September 14, 2013 11:30PM

A critical study of this god led me to have no desire to worship him. A single reading of the Old Testament shows him to be a jerk, and quite possibly insane, so I will be quite satisfied spending eternity separated from him.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 01:25AM

Being eternally separated from God is what Catholics used to teach kids hell was. It's not that clever a concept, just a scare tactic that's more vague, and vagueness is less ridiculous than being explicit: hell's having human urges without a body to satisfy them! Really, is that concept more likely come from inspiration than having an eagle eat your liver every day or pushing a boulder up a hill and having it roll down or being up to your neck in water that dips down whenever you try to drink and grapes over your head that rise out of reach whenever you try to eat? If God is omnipotent and compassionate how could anyone really be separated from him. Who makes the rules? God, that's who. Who dictates he's got to be separated from someone? A Church? Not possible, if God is both compassionate and omnipotent.

Date: September 15, 2013 10:46AM

I don't think highly of religion or religious concepts anymore. Still, I think that the idea that a person separates themselves from God because of their own impurity, and thus their punishment is self-inflicted, to be a far deeper and more realistic version of hell than much I've seen in other religions (even though I know that many other religions believe the exact same thing).

Date: September 15, 2013 01:55AM

I never read the Book of Mormon, so there you go.

Date: September 15, 2013 10:46AM

I read it way too often in my younger years. :/

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:20PM

Do they teach Hell? I saw an amateur Mo-apologist on FB telling an ex-mo (and proud of it) that she was going burn in Hell. Is that because she's a Son (or daughter) of Perdition?

Posted by: peepster ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:51PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "outer darkness" yet. When you've done something reeeeeally bad, you have to go float around there forever. When I was in college, I could park at the institute building if I paid the 10 bucks for a class each semester. Since I wasn't all the way out and that was a great deal on parking, I paid and I went. The CES guy there told the class, "No women will be in outer darkness because none of them have all the keys." Thanks, dude! Imagine my relief -- I could do whatever I wanted and god didn't care. All that wasted guilt. :-/

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:53PM

I've never heard it said that sons/ daughters of perdition end up in a like of fire. I've heard that it was just outer darkness- and that's kind of appealed to me. Going somewhere quiet where not a lot of people come around to bug me. I like to read a lot and go travelling and make good memories, so I will have something to think on while I am in said darkness. :P
- Nothing like planning ahead!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:23AM

In my experience, people who believe they're going to heaven are insufferable. Hell could do no worse.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 12:45AM

From my understanding Mormon hell is spirit prison in the after life (spirit paradise is heaven). Then after final judgment comes the degrees of glory. So I think when Mormons say hell they are just using the traditional Christian terminology instead of spirit prison.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 01:28AM

In spirit prison you have callings that you can't say "no" to.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 02:14PM

Let's see..

Go to outer darkness!
Go to the Telestial Kingdom!
I hope you are stuck in the second Celestial Kingdom!

Nope, just doesn't have the same effect.

Now

I hope you are stuck with that @#$/★ wife if yours for all eternity.

That has impact!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.