Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cognitiveharmony ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 03:48PM

I've recently had my name removed from the church but I've been out for about 2 years now. I still have lots of FB friends from the ward. Not that I ever speak to them but they're on my friend list. As you all know, TBMs have a very difficult time not making TSCC the focal point of their life including most conversations. So every day I see "Gospel" related posts ad nauseum. I've been trying to just ignore it as I'm really not on a crusade to convince anyone of anything but I'm getting to the point that my blood boils a little bit when I realize the lies and deceit that lie behind each post.

I saw one this morning linking to a talk by Eyring that said this

"I do not depend on what has happened in the past. To keep my living testimony of the Book of Mormon secure, I receive the promise of Moroni often. I don’t take that blessing of a testimony for granted as a perpetual entitlement."

Ridiculous right? I can't even count the number of logical fallacies that it takes to arrive at a statement like this.

So my question is, do you guys normally repond to idiocy like this? Or do you just ignore it? Responding probably wouldn't do much good. If someone is either brainwashed enough or stupid enough to buy into something like this, they probably won't even know when they've lost the argument and will just view me as a bad guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: feelinglight ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:17PM

Your last sentence says it all....just ignore it....they don't get it.---.anything.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:23PM

I delete it and if it's bad enough, I click on "offensive to a religious group" as my reason. Usually I just put "It's annoying or just not interesting" but some of the worse ones are actually offensive to everyone NOT LDS.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:23PM

Yeah....not sure its worth it......but ew don't you just want to set their messed up thinking straight? I know how you feel. It is soooooooooo frustrating to be surrounded by people in a cult that I no longer agree with. It's that special time of month for me and man I am feeling it!

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:33PM

I know exactly how you feel. Just yesterday I received an email from my tbm mom with a link to a bullshit video about the fucking temple. Lost a couple of hrs sleep deciding how I am going to respond to this (still haven't decided)

She's older, and isn't going to change her mind. She also knows I have strong feelings against the Mormon church. She doesn't know that I had my name removed.

So do I get snarky, or be firm but polite, or drop the mother of all bombs on her, and totally fuck up her "Forever Family" delusion?

A person shouldn't have to deal with shit like this.

Posted by: cognitiveharmony ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 04:46PM

That sucks. In her mind you're endangering your eternal salvation so she's attempting to "save" you. But in your mind, you're fully aware of the fraud perpetuated by TSCC and are sad because of the way it makes your mother view you and your choices in life so you'd like to open her eyes to the truth. Been there, done that.

The truth is, no one comes out of the church unless they want to. And some people just don't want to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.