Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 03:11PM

1. Pastors are only in it for the money.

2. LDS are the only "true" Christians.

3. You need to belong to the "one true church" in order to be saved.

4. Paid ministry is evil.

5. Christian ministers are in the employ of Satan.

6. If a church does not have a "prophet" at the head, it's not the "true" church.

7. Christians believe you have to go to college to have the "priesthood"

8. All other churches are an "abomination" in the eyes of the Lord.

I'm sure I could go find a biblical scripture to counter-argue each one of these claims, but I'm going to be lazy today. What are some lies that TSCC taught you about other churches?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 03:27PM by budweiserbaby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend as guest ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 03:22PM

"BIBLCAL" scripture? That's all LDS positioning. Not in my Bible.

Date: September 22, 2013 03:29PM

I changed the wording in my post so that it makes more sense. I wasn't saying that I could find bible scriptures to defend these positions, I was trying to say that I could find bible scriptures to contradict each of these claims.

Date: September 22, 2013 03:26PM

One really big one, and I almost didn't leave TSCC because of this one,

9. Only The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can make it possible for your family to be together for eternity.

John 1:12, Gal. 3:26, Rom. 8:17-19, Matt 5:9 all give us examples of how we can be children of God. Therefore, if we're children of God, then we're part of his family. No temple ceremony required, just faith in Christ.

Posted by: caffiend as guest ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 03:47PM

Whew!

And how about 1 John 3:1, 2::

See what kind of love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared...

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 03:27PM

'Pastors are only in it for the money'?

Puh-lease and what are Hinckley and the 15 in it for??

'Paid ministry is evil'?

Cos it's not like LDS members have to contribute to their church in any way or line the execs pockets.

Or fund a shopping mall.

Or be admitted to the temple without paying said contribution!

Date: September 22, 2013 03:30PM

Yeah, TBM DD was pretty shocked when I told her she could not get a temple recommend without paying a full tithe. She said it was an anti-mormon lie, so I pulled out the Lorenzo Snow manual they're using in adult Sunday School and proved it to her. She was pretty pissed off at me and wouldn't look at it.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 04:05PM

TBMs hate it when you spout an "anti-Mormon lie," then open up the "official material." But here's a lie that at least the local ward (my DW's ward...former ward? she's not officially "out"... ) here believes:

-Basically, all other "sects" basically meet on Sundays to plot against TSCC.

(DW's ward won't call them "churches" and certainly WON'T call the members "Christians"--so when I refuse to call Mormons "Christian," I'm simply returning the favor).

Yet, where I can count on one hand the number of times--out of hundreds--where I've been to a local mainstream Christian church and heard the Mormons mentioned, all that the TBMs can pant about in DW's ward is "all these other sects." DW once told someone at a baptist church that, "I'm LDS." They looked at her like she was from Mars. I said, "A Mormon." (Wanted to say, "A f'ing Mormon," but bad form). "Oh, right, the Latter-day Saints...well, welcome, glad you're here."

So, I had to explain to DW that no one even knows WTF "LDS" is...or cares much. I'm sure Brother and Sister Criesalot at the local ward would be shocked to know how little anyone even thinks of Mormonism...beyond politely closing the door in the face of the occasional missionary ("Or were those the Jehovah's Witnesses? Hmmm... Can't remember now.") She is starting, I think, to get a sense of how insignificant and on the fringe the CoJCoLDS is...I'm hopeful she'll make her departure from TSCC official (and not just de facto) some day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 04:08PM by stillburned.

Date: September 22, 2013 04:32PM

Pastor mentioned them today. He said that when he was studying to be a Pastor back in Detroit, MI he felt a call to come out and plant a church in the South West among members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When I bash TSCC on Facebook he sees it and sometimes asks me to stop. When I told him that I got into an argument with a TBM about Mountain Meadows, he defended the TBM and told me that arguments are counter-productive. He said his biggest problem with them is their belief that they're going to become Gods because the Bible makes it clear that there can be only one God and that God has always been perfect and therefore could never have been a man. I would not call this plotting against the LDS church.
I would say my Pastor has a genuine love of the LDS and he's concerned that being taught a false doctrine that they will not be saved. Never once have I heard him say negative things about J. Smith or B. Young. In fact he said that Gordon B. Hinckley was like a Grandfather to him and that he loves Thomas S. Monson. If I didn't know better, I'd almost say my Pastor is Mormon.

Date: September 22, 2013 04:36PM

My pastor tells me that calling them a "cult" is unhelpful. I agree. I still think they're a cult, but it's unhelpful. You aren't going to win someone over who "knows" they're right. I think you can only hope to be authentic and maybe some TBMs might see that other people aren't as lost as TSCC teaches they are.

Fixed a spelling error...there, their, they're, ya know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 04:55PM by stillburned.

Date: September 22, 2013 04:39PM

By the way: Do you live in the Morridor? I think that would certainly change the dynamic, even in a mainstream church. Unlike where I live, they'd not only be known about, they'd be a dominant force and a group you try really hard to build bridges with. If your pastor felt "called" to plant a church in the Morridor, I can imagine why he'd ask you to cool it with the FB talk about Mormons. Can't see why he'd talk so approvingly of GBH or TSM, but who knows?

Date: September 22, 2013 04:46PM

Yep, I'm in St. George. I think his thinking is that if I offend the LDS they're just going to be alienated.

Date: September 22, 2013 04:52PM

Yeah, I think he's right. I live in the southeast and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a baptist church (yes, I go to one, of course). Totally different dynamic...the Morg is large and real where you live...not something where people say, "LDS? Honey, they got rehab if you got a drug problem."

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:00PM

I would leave any church where the pastor infers you should not tell the truth about the LDS church. The LDS church is an enemy to all Christian churches and it should be recognized as such. I hear a lot of Christian church/LDS church alliances and think that is wrong!! I would not attend or support any Pastor that is not 100% against the lies of Mormonism or disclosing the lies of Mormonism. I guess I am saving a lot of money because I think a lot of Christian leaders are selling out and I don't think that is Christian at all. We should love all people but we should love them by telling them the truth about the SCAM they are involved with!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 05:47PM

The ministers and priests in my home town lived in dumps. The Nazarene minister lived in a trailer, the Catholic priest lived in a run down apartment under his church and sold donuts to supplement his income and the Methodist personage was falling apart

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 05:06PM

It's true,I have never heard another church so much as mention the LDS church or any other church for that matter.

It's true also that most people would be more familiar with the name Mormonism than the church of Jesus Christ of the latter day saints(it's 'proper title' hehe).

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:08PM

It's a shock all right to come out of tscc and find out that it's a relatively minor 'sect' in the U.S. and the vast majority of mainstream Christians are not threatened by it or interested in it.

Biggest lies:
Only worthy Mormons will be with their families for eternity. (If funerals are an indication, every Christian church I've come in contact with believes that they will be; however none of them obsess with it as tscc does.)
Only tscc has sacred temples. (No, only tscc has members only temples. Many older denominations hold services in "sanctuaries", ie, "sanctified". I've never encountered a members only sanctuary though, and nonJews are allowed into Jewish temples.)

Sometimes the lies are in the 'only we haves', as in-
Only tscc has the priesthood. (see Catholics, Episcopalians and Orthodox churches)
Only tscc has the Melchizedek priesthood. (see Catholics and Orthodox)
Only in confirmation in the temple is the Holy Spirit received through the laying on of hands. (see Catholics, Lutherans and Episcopalians)
Only tscc through JS was given the keys and so it is the one true church. (see Catholics and Lutherans. See the papal coat of arms for a picture.)
Only tscc has the apostolic succession. (see Catholics and Episcopalians)
The only thing we have in common with the abominations is baptism.

Then there are the backhanded lies-
Only tscc families are strong.
Only tscc families raise moral children.
Tscc children are more intelligent and atheletic than children raised in the sects, and better looking, too.
Tscc children go on to be professionals more than those raised in the sects. (only the males, of course. Then see other denominations; start with Jews.)
Tscc is one of the largest charitable givers in the world. (the opposite is true)

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 05:26PM

My TBM husband and I have had an ongoing arguement about other churches for DECADES. [I was TBM when it started] He believes that ALL churches except HIS are "of the devil" and worship another God---only HIS church worships the REAL God. They are all evil. I wonder sometimes how many other Mormons believe this.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 05:30PM

That all religions are wrong and are an abomination.
Oh wait, that one's actually true. Including the Morg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.