Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 08:35PM

My wife and I went and saw Penn and Teller at wendover this weekend (Wendover is just across the state line in Nevada west of slc, and is where all the Mormons go to get their gambling fix.)

The show was a lot of fun, and during Penn's monologues about charlatans claiming prophetic powers, and how anyone who claims supernatural insight is lying to you, and evil. I looked around and saw a few of people shaking their heads, and whispering to their friends. I wonder how many were saying "that's why it's so nice that we have Monson, alot of ppl are deceived by false prophets"

Also, we won $200 on a $20 slot machine investment! And I have not paid tithing in years!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 08:36PM

I saw them in Vegas. They put on a great show. Was Penn playing a bass in disguise before the show started?

Date: September 21, 2013 09:05PM

We got there just before the show started so he may have been. i dont know though.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 21, 2013 10:37PM

Speaking of debunking "charlatans" and fake psychics (redundant,
I know) Penn and Teller were gotten together by James ("The
Amazing") Randi.

Date: September 22, 2013 12:56AM

I had no idea about James Randi

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:49AM

our TBM friends actually went to the exact same thing this weekend!!! what a crazy coincidence. Did you by chance, take the fun bus there??

Date: September 22, 2013 03:11AM

No, not on the fun bus.

Posted by: Charlotte Darwin ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 11:27AM

I saw them in Vegas and loved their show. At that particular show, they said anyone who claims to receive messages to you from dead relatives is a charlatan and evil. I think it was a "veiled" reference to John Edwards. And it is funny how psychics hate performing when they know magicians or mentalists are present because then they can't get away with their Bull$hit!

Not only do I think Penn & Teller and James Randi are awesome in trying to get the word out to the public about how to avoid getting bamboozled, but also Joe Nickell. We might not agree with everything they say, but I think those who hate them, hate them because they educate people on how to be skeptical. It's like Toto in the Wizard of Oz revealing who the wizard really was.

Date: September 22, 2013 07:57PM

It wasn't a veiled reference to John Edwards in Wendover, they actually named him, along with a few of his ilk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.