Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 11:34AM

If She/He hammers on Mormon truth claims yet defends Bible?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:34PM

Well, I dunno about too harsh, but resorting to namecalling is a poor argument and implies you don't really have an argument at all.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:38PM

Why would you want to? I think people are entitled to their own beliefs as long as they aren't hurting anyone with them. Even if you think the beliefs are crazy - it might work for them. My problem with Mormonism is that it hurts people - me, my loved ones, friends etc. If this person's belief in the bible is leading them to hurt themselves or someone else, then you might be justified in feeling negative toward that belief but if you just want to attack them for disagreeing with you, that's something else. Even the Mormons I know who are nice and seem to benefit from it (who are a very small minority, granted) I respect their right to believe what they want even though I disagree with it personally. I wouldn't call someone a moron for believing in Islam, or Buddhism or being an atheist either, although I personally am none of the above. Instead, if their beliefs help them and harm no one, I'm happy they've found something in life that works for them.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:47PM

As far as I am concerned you have right word but I would use something a little more clever--like invite her to read this.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/071300-106.htm

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:52PM

I reject the BoM, as I do "Science & Health (Mary Baker Eddy, Christian Science) The Watchtower. And Dianetics. And others who devise some unique replacement or completion or correction of Christ's gospel.

I suppose I'm leading with the chin here, and the more severe of the atheists in this forum will take swings at me. After rejecting Christian Science, I drifted in a spiritual soup of atheism, agnosticism, anti-spirituality, indifference, and generalized "Higher Power" (12-Step Recovery) belief.

A couple of books made me reconsider orthodox Christianity. One was "Evidence That Demands a Verdict," and the other was "Who Moved the Stone." As a retired cop, I found it both fascinating and credible. I was persuaded that there is an essential core of historical and spiritual truth behind the Jesus story and, by extension, the rest of the Bible. Christianity really hinges on the resurrection. Even Paul said, "If Christ be not raised, then our faith is in vain, and we are all the more to be pitied" (cf 1 Corinthians 15:14-19). "Who Moved the Stone" is an examination of the crucifixtion and resurrection using legal and forensic methods, and I found it very convincing.

Quinlansolo, I do think you're rather harsh with the term "absolute Moron." But Paul was comfortable with the term "fools for Christ" (I Cor. 4.10a). Although many people are dismissive of religious faith (often with perjorative terms), and think I checked my brains at the door, I continue to engage all sorts of material on the subject, from the critical to the devotional.

In another thread, armtothetriangle wrote,"It's almost as if "the one true church"'s last gotcha is 'if you don't believe in us, you won't believe in anything.' It's the last means by which tscc still controls you. I hope you'll take it back." I agree with him completely. As for me, I also agree with Paul, "The preaching of the cross is, I know, nonsense to those who are involved in this dying world, but to us who are being saved from that death it is nothing less than the power of God" (I Cor. 1:18, J.B. Phillips).

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 12:56PM

While I haven't read "Who Moved the Stone" the title seems to imply an assumption that the stone moved in the first place.

Personally I can't trust Paul knowing what JS pulled off, but if you've found something that works for you who am I to tell you otherwise?

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 01:05PM

Stupid people should be made aware that they are stupid.

If you had a booger hanging off your nose it would be my duty to call you a booger face thus allowing you to correct your infliction.

It is your duty to inform people with irrational beliefs that they are indeed morons.

Anything less is enabling low intelligence.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 01:13PM

No - the guiding philosophy is "If the person can fix it, you tell them." So yes, if someone had a booger hanging from their nose or their skirt tucked up in their panties or a flat tire, you would tell them. If you can't fix it, then it's rude - the worst sort of bad manners - to correct another adult. You can keep people from hurting you and, if necessary, themselves but anything else is a violation of boundaries. If someone is stupid, or if I have the almighty arrogance to feel they are stupid simply because they don't agree with me, that is THEIR business and I'd be a jerk to think I could tell them how to live.

And believe me, you can't fix stupid in another person. And you definitely can't fix stupid with name calling and belittling.

Date: September 27, 2013 01:17PM

The poor argument comes from someone who brags about how wrong Mormon Church is yet insists the truthclaim of his/her own, without any evidence.

Date: September 27, 2013 01:20PM

In the first place. I'm perfectly OK practicing my LDS religion quietly but He/She coming to me to tell me everything I believe is hogwash/wrong.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 02:03PM by quinlansolo.

Date: September 27, 2013 03:02PM

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: September 27, 2013 01:19PM

I say everyone should mind their own business, unless somene is in immediate physical danger.

Date: September 27, 2013 03:16PM

belittle my LDS belief....If you do it I have no hesitation to label you as a "moron", not out of disrespect to you but presuming your faith trumps a phony Mormon religion....

No one can do that with sane mind without showing a shred of evidence of what they believe.

I'd hope Christians in general realize that no part of their faith is based on evidence.
Which is fine by me since its called faith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 03:23PM by quinlansolo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.