Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: habiff ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 11:32AM

I must admit that I'm no expert on the topic but others on this board may be better able to discuss this subject. I do know that whenever Oaks speaks, he uses techniques and suggestions to help members maintain belief. He uses about every cognitive bias known to man. It is deceptive and manipulative. I have read many books on NLP, hypnosis, spatial anchoring and the power of suggestion to acheive a goal from someone else.

Watching JRH side step questions during the BBC documentary was disturbing as was his pacifying actions during the interview. He was moving his holy book between himself and Sweeney. Actions speak louder than words sometimes.

I have been studying TSM in his talks and he uses NLP nested looping in his talks. Nested looping is where multiple stories are told without closing the stories until a suggestion is inserted into the last story. Then the speaker will close each of the stories. This affects our subconscious to "take up" the suggestion. Our minds want to have the stories finished or closed. The story telling is done to create a "trance like" mindset, then cleverly the speaker will place the command or suggestion in the middle of the last story then close the stories.

Monson will tell multiple stories simultaneously without closing or finishing the lesson behind them. He skips around with widows to childhood friends mingled with scriptures. Then he was plant his desired suggestion either my qouting a "modern day" prophet or scripture verse and will say "closed quote". This causes our subconscious to accept the suggestion because of the trance we are put in by listening to his stories. The phrase "closed quote" closes all the loops with our subconscious taking in the suggestion. It is very subtle. He rarely opens with saying "quote", it is always "closed quote". A great example is is Obedience talk from April 2013 conference. There is nested looping throughout the entire talk. That is why people feel good and feel the spirit. It is good old fashioned NLP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 11:36AM by habiff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: October 08, 2013 10:58PM

WOW...thanks for taking the time to learn about this and then sharing with us. Very interesting.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 02:26AM

2 Corinthians 11:13

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.