Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:00PM

One can attempt to get at the answer to that question by accessing it through a short series of Q&As:

--Question #1:

What is the number of Christian groups/denominations in the world today?

--Answer #1:

"There are about 34,000 different Christian groups in the world since AD 30. This is according to the 'World Christian Encyclopedia' published in 2001. 1,200 different Christian denominations exist in the United States alone. Some groups classify Christianity into 8 meta-groups, namely Roman Catholicism (the largest), Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy and Assyrian Churches, Protestantism, Restorationism, Anglican Communicants, Pentecostal, and others."

("Number of Christian Denominations," at: http://www.numberof.net/number-of-christian-denominations/

--Question #2:

Which one (or ones) of these 34,000 or so Christian groups/denominations is/are "true Christianity"?

--Answer #2:

You tell me. :)
_____

To assist "real Christians" in showing that their brand of Christianity is more "real" than other brands Christianity, here are some "Christianity Comparison Charts":

"Comparison charts are useful tools for quickly identifying similarities and differences or gathering information without having to read longer articles or compare several sources. This page lists all the comparison charts provided by ReligionFacts that relate to Christianity.

"Important note: Charts like these are meant to be used as a starting point and not as a sole resource for understanding beliefs, practices or events. Complex religious issues cannot be fully explained in a tiny box and short summaries can be misleading by nature. Please use the links within the charts and other resources to learn more about the topics summarized by the comparison charts.

"Charts on the Bible

"Compare Biblical Accounts of the Resurrection of Christ . . .

"Chart showing the similarities and differences between the accounts of the Resurrection in 1 Corinthians, Mark, Matthew, Luke, Acts, and John. Includes links to resources from Christians and skeptics dealing with the issue of contradictions.

"Charts of Christian Denominations

"Compare the basic similarities and differences between Christian denominations with the charts below. For more in-depth information, see our Christian Denominations section."

("Christianity Comparison Charts," at: http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts.htm)
_____

--Question #3:

Which one (or ones) of these comparative Christian belief system(s) represent(s) "real Christianity"?

--Answer #3:

You tell me. :)

In answering that question, the "real Christians" among us need to define "real Christianity" in ways that somehow represent all "real Christians." I don't think that's too much to ask since this board has seen its share of self-proclaimed "real Christians."

Furthermore, when defining what "real Christianity" means, please do so within the context of the myriad of conflicting Christian versions of "real Christianity" that exist around the planet. I wouldn't think that's too much to ask, either, assuming one has easy personal access to knowing what it means to truly be a "real Christian."

It would further be helpful for "real Christians" to break down that basic question into fundamental parts, so as to help "unified Christians" who may be hovering here arrive at an answer as to which version of "real Christianity" they uniformly believe in.

Thanks for your help and, as they say in the world of "real Christianity," God bless you (meaning, of course, the "real God"--whoever him, her or it happens to be). You tell me.

:)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 05:09PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:23PM

I read somewhere that many religious scholars consider Mormonism to be the fourth Abrahamic religion. It's like a different movie where the characters have the same names as those in the Bible but the story is different.

*** The god "Elohim" a/k/a "Heavenly Father" in Mormonism is a formerly mortal now immortal exalted being and is one of many Gods past, present and future; in Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition God is an omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent (something) with no beginning and no ending.

*** Christians believe that Jesus was an avatar of God conceived by Virgin Mary. The Mormon Jesus is the literal spirit offspring of Elohim who was given a mortal body the old fashioned way by Elohim and Mary having sexual intercourse.

*** Mormonism, like Islam, (and to some extent Judaism) is am orthopraxy religion that is all-encompassing and pervades every aspect of life and is primarily concerned with the manner and conduct of life rather than just religious belief or faith.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Date: October 10, 2013 05:37PM

There are, after all, over 30,000 brands of Christianity. (And by whicb version of the Bible or by which religious-council edict is that heterdoxy determined?)

Finally, using your argument, just because "real Christianity" is supposedly the heterodox kind, what makes that heterdoxy "true"?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:08PM by steve benson.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 07:12PM

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:27PM

"real christian" sounds relative to me. Dafuq does that even mean? Are the real Santaclausarians the ones who understand the story of Saint Nicholas?

For christians though, this seems to be an important topic. Mormons always seem to be on the defensive on the issue of whether or not they are "real christians".

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:35PM

The REAL Christians, with their REAL Christianity?

Compile a list of the bishops who had NOT been excommunicated
in the aftermath of the Council of Nicaea, and you'll have
as close to an answer as can ever be given.

What were the Jesus followers who lived prior to that
momentous gathering? Certainly not one, homogenous band
of brothers, practicing the one true faith.

Christianity is like women's fashions -- whatever people
are buying this current season.

UD

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:40PM

Christ was the only real Christian. Everyone else is a poser.

Date: October 10, 2013 05:41PM

That both Jesus and Julius were the only "real" things?

(And, speaking of Jesus, was he the real Judeo-Christian thing when he was directing the Israelites to slaughter their enemies--except, of course, the virgins captured by God's lusty, conquering Old Testament armies?)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:02PM by steve benson.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:47PM

The defining characteristic of a Christian is a person that believes in Jesus Christ and identifies him as their savior and as a god.

That's it.

Sure, Jesus probably believed in himself and at the very least the story of Jesus says that he thought he was a God. So, Jesus was a Christian. Why can't other people also believe in him and think he is a god?

Date: October 10, 2013 07:20PM

You sort it out of us.

Wait, you already have so why are there so many different religions being created in his name?

Earth to "snb": Christianity is no different than any other alleged "real" religion and has been no more systemic or consistent over the course of history than many of them.

Please don't consider it either "unique" or "true" because the facts behind humankind's invention and reconstruction of Christianity clearly prove otherwise.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:42PM

Interesting of you to post this today, Steve.

DW posted something about the virtues of doubt on Facebook to counter all of the momo's pasting Uchtdorf's quote from GC, and it started a pretty big debate.

In one corner we have a Pentacostal minister we're good friends with, and in the other an excommunicated LDS man who is defending the faith (the same faith that kicked him out) to the last.

I just sit back with popcorn and watch. What version of Christ is real, are Mormons Christians, etc.

So much easier for me to be an agnostic physicist and not have to worry about all that nonsense.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:00PM

Good points, Steve. I'm an atheist, so when I look at Mormonism compared to any other sect, it looks like two shades of grey to me. I just happened to have been afflicted with Mormonism, forced into it from birth. I would despise any other religion that had been shoved down my throat. In a word, it's personal.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:12PM

To me real Christianity is rooted in a belief that God is the embodiment of unconditional love. It also has an optimistic vision that people can repent of wrongdoings and change for the better. It values forgiveness, charity, humility, and decency. There is sympathy for, and solidarity with the poor.

What it is (ideally) not -- rule-bound, judgmental, nor overly concerned with a person's wealth or status. Real Christianity would not blame someone for their misfortunes, whether material, mental, or physical.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:14PM

Unless one believes that the only way to be a "real God believer" is to be a "real Christian."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:15PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:16PM

No it's not unique. To me, it's a set of values that is humanizing. And I believe that Christianity is one of many humanizing paths.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:18PM

And how humane is it to believe in "the real Christian God" who condones, and allows to be carried out, the tortuous death of his son?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:23PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:24PM

Does one have to be religious to be humane? Of course not.

In the mythology, Jesus had the choice of opting out. He chose not to. That's another Christian value -- sacrifice.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:25PM

. . . the torture killing of his own kid?

And soeaking of the value of Judeo-Christian sacrifice, that was embodied in the Order from on High that Abraham stab his own son to death, right? Poor ol' Abraham didn't think he had a way out, now, did he?

That's a rather sick way of teaching the value of sacrifice in the name of "real Chrisitian humanity," donchya think?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:31PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:33PM

I'm not sure that focusing on the mythology is really going to be all that productive. Mythology by its nature is not going to make a whole lot of sense.

You asked about "real Christianity," and to me that is a set of core values based on Jesus's teachings as related in the New Testament.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:39PM

. . . unless, by your definition, in order to be a "real Christian," one needs to reject such Biblical stories as being total make-believe.

And, besides, the New Testament ordered women to shut up in church (thank you, Apostle Paul) and commanded all people to come to the Lord or burn forever in a lake of fire and brimstone (thank you, Jesus).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:47PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:54PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly, but "real Christians" don't think it's mythology . . .

It depends on who you talk to. I'm going to bet that many ministers going through seminary training do get introduced to the mythology. I got it in a University course on Jesus and the New Testament.

Paul could be an ass, no question.

Date: October 10, 2013 07:02PM

Jesus told his mother he didn't even know her, along with condemning non-believers to hellfire. You think that was the humanizing side of Jesus's brand of Christianity--or is it just Paul who you have problems with?

Let me guess. That mean side of Jesus is just another element of Christian mythology.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 07:03PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 07:06PM

Yep, there are some things that don't fit. I imagine that's so for any spiritual leader. However overall, people have found his teachings compelling for many years.

Date: October 10, 2013 07:07PM

. . . own brand of re-configured and re-baked "real Cnristianity." How is that any different than what is done in other sects, cults and/or religions in the world?

After all, these adherents find the teachings of their spiritual leaders "compelling," too (as long as they change the recipe as needed).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 07:10PM by steve benson.

Date: October 10, 2013 07:17PM

I think that the majority of his teachings have an internal consistency. The teachings did give birth to the set of core values that I outlined above.

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:35PM

Steve, I think every Christian would say something different, but for my Pastor he said that any church that believes in the Trinity is a true Christian church. He said, therefore, Catholics are Christians. He also said that true Christians don't believe they can become Gods.

Yesterday, I read Bruce R. McConkie's talk from 1982 where he said something to the effect that Mormons don't worship Christ, they worship the father and that it's "perilous" to want a relationship with Christ. To me, anyone who doesn't want a relationship with Christ should not be calling themselves Christian.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:41PM

Welcome to the convulted club of "real Christianity."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:43PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:41PM

The Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism.

In all seriousness, the evangelicals I grew up with who condemned Mormons to hell because they weren't "True Christians" kinda pissed me off. Like, Christ is dead and gone and can't settle the True Christian argument, so who are you to know what's True Christianity and what not?

300 years ago, True Christians were burning witches. 500 years ago, True Christians were proselyting at swordpoint. 1900 years ago, True Christians committed suicide rather than let the Romans take them alive at Masada.

Diluted fundy/evangelical/non-denominational Christianity has never held any appeal to me. At least Mormons have the balls to say they get their truth from God himself; True Christians spout off about the Bible being inerrant, even though biblical interpretations is how we arrived at the 30,000+ denominations we have today.

I've never understood Christianity = unconditional love, either. The God described in the Old Testament was a despicable jerk who commanded genocide and who killed Israelis who didn't commit genocide hard enough. What the hell kind of morality is that?

Like anything else, 'Christianity' in its modern form has its positives and negatives. But like any religion, it suffers from a fatal flaw -- its followers believe whatever they do, they do in God's name, thereby justifying their actions. And in so doing, we end up with Mountain Meadows, Spanish Inquisitions, Crusades, 9/11, Irish Troubles, and so forth.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:45PM

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:55PM

Mosada was a Jewish (not Christian) stronghold. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masada

Date: October 10, 2013 07:06PM

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:45PM

I thought you asked that once to Sandra Tanner, how did She respond?

Date: October 10, 2013 06:49PM

. . . in her life with regard to her coming to a belief in Jesus.

Well, bully for Sandra. She had found the "real Christianity"--despite deciding not to apply the same standards of historicity and fact-finding to her "real-Christianity" belief set that she so readily sticks Mormonism with.

Go figure.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 07:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: some person ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:51PM

Whether for entertainment, curiosity - what have you - there are lots of books out there about Jesus having travelled the world as a youth. The reason being to study with ancient secret societies and masters to learn things such as how to overcome pain, how to perform the miracles that he produced - and many other things. Many books say he studied in India with the great Mahatmas there.

One book, called "The 9 Faces of Christ", chronicles his travels through various countries. This can't be proven to be non-fiction, of course, but it's for the curious.

The point being, Jesus did not believe that death ended with the body and had attained the ability to maintain continuity of consciousness. He had also mastered supernatural powers by that time, so he totally knew what he was getting into. As far as all that war and killing stuff in the Old Testament, that is something that I haven't been able to reconcile with the God I aspire to have the faith to believe in and that Summer described.

I can't prove any of this, and probably won't post again to discuss it - simply because I am not wired to participate on these forums.

I do find cool books though and wanted to share this one title for the other curious people out there.

Hope this isn't too off topic.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:53PM

. . . aliens have traveled around our world, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 07:04PM by steve benson.

Posted by: ozcrone ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 07:16PM

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 07:21PM

What are they then?
Their founding scripture is gratuitous fan fiction of the bible. It even has the effing TRINITY in it! Talk about ironic...the bible doesn't have the trinity in it but that's the doctrine of most of Christianity, and the BoM DOES have the trinity in it, but Mormons reject it.
IMO the bible is the BoM's MAIN problem! It imports biblical baggage wholesale, so if the bible goes down (and it DOES), the BoM goes down...like tying the SS Minnow to the Titanic.
That proves to me anyway that Mormons are Christian, because even though they say the BoM is an independent testament of Jesus Christ, it's totally dependent on the bible.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 07:22PM

It seems to be typical human behavior to claim their religion (deity/savior/god myth) is the only correct, right, true one, at least, on some level. Thousands of god myths have been worshiped and defended throughout the history of humanity.

This is an interesting series that covers the history of human created deities and how some think they are aliens!
The similarities of all of them down to Christianity in all of it's forms is amazing.

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.