Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 12:42AM

I was just thinking that if I were affluent with money and possesssions right now, how much more difficult it would have been for me to leave TSCC. Yes, TSCC did offer financial assistance, however, I think if I were more wealthy that I would be indifferent to seeking out the truth, that it would not have mattered as much to me as it did when I sought it out and found it.
Since I'm not rich and never was rich, it's difficult to say for certain. I do remember a time in my life where my career was starting to take off and that's also a time I was the most active in TSCC too. I know that TBMs like to use earthy possessions and wealth as a measure of their worthiness and "blessings".
So, bottom-line for me is that I'd rather know the truth and be poor than be rich and be deceived by the con-man Joseph Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 01:13AM

It's been called "the Protestant work ethic on steroids."

An underlying premise to "health and wealth" beliefs is that if you are "spiritually on the beam," you trigger God's blessings. This is a variation on the magickal (sic) world view, although not outright occultic. Being '"on the beam" involves things like obedience to the church authorithy, moral propriety, devotion, prayer, and -- in the LDS fold -- participation on the Temple rituals and (yes!) TITHING!"

On a more crude level, you get the televanagelists who pound the pulpit and say, "Send in your seed-faith offerings if you want God to bless you with that new job or a Cadilac!" I was brought up on Christian Science, a radical variant on the Health & Wealth doctrine; along with "positive thinking" these are things I've studied extensively.

So this is the syllogism: the "right faith" = God's favor = God's blessings = prosperity and good health. Now, let's look at the inverse:

poverty & physical affliction = a dirth of God's blessings = being out of God's favor (because) = incorrect/insufficient faith and religious practice.

This is NOT Christianity. Christ neither condemned riches nor advocated poverty. He emphasized that all temporal conditions are temporary, and espoused various moral responses for both the abundance, or the lack of, money. As he told Pilate, "My Kingdom is not of this world," and money is definitely something of this world.

Last thought, StoneInHat: shoud you be so fortunate (I'll even say "blessed") to gain wealth, you can inform your LDS friends that you gained it without the intercession of Elohim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.