Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 03:07PM

Just talking with some TBM family members the other night and about the only thing they can talk about is Mormon stuff so i asked them what they thought about Gen-Con.

Anyway that let to talking about Missionary work and so i just point blank asked them if they've invited their neighbors on either side of them out to church or other functions.

Got the deer-in-the-headlights-look from them and then my sister-in-law pipes up, "Well we are on good terms with both neighbors and wouldn't want to rock the boat in any way with them."

Now that's just classic!!!

So much for "every member a missionary" huh???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 03:30PM

Well, that's how I felt. The town I grew up in was pretty much all mormon. I could count on one hand all the kids in my high school who weren't mormon, and everyone knew who they were. It wasn't until I hitched my wagon to marital train and headed south that I had neighbors and coworkers who weren't mormon. I never brought it up. I never shared the gospel. My relationships were too important to me and I didn't want to screw them up by pressuring people to believe what I believed.

Interesting no?

You'd think I would have been just bubbling over with zeal to share the truth! Alas, I think deep down even then, at my most TBM, I knew something wasn't right...

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 03:37PM

Yes. Even Mormons are embarrassed about the boring, uninspiring meetings and the nutty gold plates first vision stuff, etc. I certainly wasn't going to ever invite someone to church.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 03:37PM

When I lived in Michigan I had some new neighbors move in from Colorado. They found out we were mormon, even though we never talked about it, word travels fast.

They told me that their last mormon neighbor used to chastise them for mowing their lawn on Sunday. They were informed that they would be going to hell for doing that. I just laughed and told them I would only do that if they didn't mow mine too.

Mormonism was never brought up again, and we became friends.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 03:46PM

I only mentioned TSCC to people who were in a divided family and it was an alternative third direction. Now, if I discuss religion and find out what religion or not anyone has I just encourage them on whatever it is and if looking, try to steer them in what will fit them, since I know a lot of different faiths, objective is what will make them happy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.