Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 12:31PM

Yesterday a TBM friend's ward had a change in the Bishopric. Here's the tally as to who failed to testify to anything unique to Mormonism.
(i.e. the B of M is true, Jos Smith was a prophet, Tommy Boy is a prophet, TSCC is true and/or unique, etc.)
All testimonies were of Jesus Christ being the savior, the gospel is true, etc. Things you'd hear in almost any traditional Christian church.

*Stake Pres.
*the released Bishop
*the released Bishop's 1st counselor
*the released Bishop's 2nd counselor
*the released Bishop's wife
*the newly installed Bishop
*the newly installed Bishop's 1st counselor
*the newly installed Bishop's 2nd counselors (the 2nd counselor was the lone exception: he KNEW the "B of M" and TSCC were true, etc.)

WTH is going on in TSCC? It's certainly not like the old days when Mormons knew
"with every fiber of their being" the unique things about Mormonism were true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 12:55PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:12PM

I noticed the same thing in my ward. A new counselor got up and bore his testimony 100% about Christ...not a mention of "the church", restoration, Joe Smith, etc...

His wife did say that she knew the church was "the one true and living church on the face of the earth." She's as molly as they come.

Posted by: Herrod ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 01:53PM

The Mormon church is a monolith. It moves as one. Evidence is found buy which a message is engaged from the top brass in SLC and the speed and discipline with which it not only reaches the rank and file but firm discipline with which a command is obeyed.

The church is changing. It has to. There are now, I believe, too many problems coming to light too quickly with regards to the church's expressed cannon. In other words the implosion has started and management is trying to stop the leaks before the boat sinks.

The faster the church can manipulate it's image the better. The Internet among other things is just too efficient at providing information that disproves the LDS church. This coupled with word of mouth is causing real problems for corporate.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 02:04PM

The buzzwords heard from the Brethren have always traveled downline quickly. "Even the Christ, With Every Fiber of My Being, I Would be Remiss" etc etc all sprouted up in Gen Con first. Quick studies at the ward level loved to pick up on the latest righteous memes and work it into their prayers/testimonies tout de suite before the rest of the team followed suit.

Apparently that 2nd Counselor isn't one of their best and brightest. He's a couple of years behind the pack.

Interesting post and something to observe going forward. Thanks!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 02:24PM

It means the new marketing plan is working internally.

Now if it can just be made to work on the external market...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.