Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mamabear ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 06:33AM

I was born and raised Mormon, served a mission and got married in the temple to a man with the same background. I, however, left the church Aug 31, 2006 due to major conflicts with the doctrine, and he did not.

Mostly, our differences in belief are a non-issue. We mutually respect eachother by avoiding any deep discussion on religion, and neither of us actively practice or preach religion to our kids. This works fine until we slam into the Mormon milestones, and we are headed into a minefield.

Mine #1: TBM MIL just passed away this morning = HUGE emotional trauma and grief amplifying Mormon beliefs of eternal families and the implication that we are "unworthy" of such a blessing. (This is a toxic lie, and I wish Hubs wasn't so poisoned by it.)

Mine #2: We are about to have our 4th baby = Festering guilt for Hubs who firmly believes that baby needs/deserves a blessing, it's his job to give it, and he's "unworthy" to do so. (I have no problem with baby being blessed, but I have a HUGE problem with Hubs feeling guilt about yet another toxic lie.)

Mine #3: Our oldest turns 8 = Required, but dangerously explosive discussion about if, when, how and by whom a baptism might take place. (8 is too young to make this level of commitment, and I'm pushing to let it be her decision and to postpone it until it means something more than a party to her.)

I'm hoping someone here has useful advice on disarming any one or all of the mines, or at least avoiding the more direct and devistating shrapnel? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.