Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: herswansong ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:00AM

i successfully resigned in '08. at the time, my son was 4 years old. my husband was still a member. so, i did not include my son in my resignation letter. my husband is now inactive and has no plans of going back, but feels he doesn't need to formally resign out of respect for his tbm family. we recently visited our old local ward for my niece's baptism. (again, solely out of respect) the primary teacher immediately introduced herself to my son and asked if he would be coming to church next week and tried to give him a birthday gift. she also asked him to meet with this bishop. this made my son EXTREMELY uncomfortable. so, i asked him if he would like it if his name was taken off the "attendance" rolls of the church. he said yes. he is not interested in religion. he hates going to church.

so, basically, my question is this:

how do i got about having my son's name removed? he is 9 and was never baptized.

thanks, guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:07AM

Write up a letter of resignation for him and have him sign it and you sign it. You can take it to his bishop or you can mail it to SLC.

http://www.mormonnomore.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 10:07AM by whatiswanted.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:28AM

But if he's a minor son, he doesn't get to resign and you don't have to allow him to be a member. If he's already been baptised, you just write a letter to confidential records saying that he's no longer a member. If he hasn't been baptised, you just don't allow it. If he is baptised and you don't go to church, your child will be forever pestered by primary presidencies, and they will also think that they can go around you, the parent, and not engage you if you are not members.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 10:43AM

See: http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

You can use the e-mail or snail mail address located on that page. Note that he is a minor and that you are filling out his paperwork as his legal guardian/parent.

While he may not technically be a "member", he would still be a child of record, which makes him open season for missionaries to try and baptise him. I would get his name off the records as soon as possible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.