Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:05PM

So I posted this link on my facebook page...

http:// www .go fund me . com /4rtz0w

(the link was blocked before..just copy paste and remove the spaces if you want to see my post)

I made it as a fundraiser to help my husband (a US Marine) and I to afford his foot surgery. He will be out of work for 6-8 weeks and disability is not enough to cover our rent etc while he recovers. ANYWAYS...I posted it on facebook for friends and family to see and possibly share and I started to get a TON of emails from TBM friends saying "You should talk to your local Bishop." or "The Church can help with your expenses!" or "The mormon church has a welfare program to help with that." blah blah blah the list goes on.

I'm sorry...but you couldn't PAY me(literally) to come back to the Mormon faith. I started to get really mad...like they saw it as an opportunity to push the church on me because I was in need. That money would have strings attached...and I am NOT going back. So mad right now.. What do I even say? Thanks but no thanks?

***Just to clarify***
He is a Veteran. The VA is paying for his foot SURGERY and bringing his disability to 100%, but it will not cover the EXPENSES we need to cover bills while he is out of work recovering. He is on his feet all day, so he needs 6-8 weeks minimum to recover. Also the disability payment won't be processed until after his surgery sometime so it would be more like a reimbursement than a sustaining check while he recovers. Make more sense now? I didnt provide all the details initially because I didnt think it was relevant to why I was originally upset. But everything is explained in the link as well if you want to understand further.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 12:11PM by mrsostrike.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:22PM

Any chance that you could share a link to this fundraiser with the people on this board? I can understand if you don't want to due to privacy concerns.

Date: October 14, 2013 11:24PM

I tried to... the admins blocked it for some reason. I wrote the webmaster to explain how the link is relevant to my post. :/

It keeps saying a word in my post is banned from use.

Date: October 14, 2013 11:26PM

http:// www . go fund me .com /4rtz0w

ok I tried it this way...just copy paste and remove the spaces.. lol

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 14, 2013 11:35PM

You need to send an e-mail to susan, and talk to her about what you'd like to do. She is the one in charge of what does or doesn't go up on the board.

Date: October 14, 2013 11:38PM

Ya if it gets blocked again I will. I think I found a way to make it work, people would just have to delete the spaces.

Date: October 15, 2013 11:44AM

Did it work?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:52AM

He's in the Marines and he has to pay for foot surgery? Does not compute.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 11:58AM

exactly

Date: October 15, 2013 12:02PM

He is a Veteran. The VA is paying for his foot surgery and bringing his disability to 100%, but it will not cover the expenses we need to cover bills while he is out of work recovering. He is on his feet all day, so he needs 6-8 weeks minimum to recover. Also the disability payment won't be processed until after his surgery sometime so it would be more like a reimbursement than a sustaining check while he recovers. Make more sense now? I didnt provide all the details here because I didnt think it was relevant to why I was originally upset. But everything is explained in the link as well if you want to understand further.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:04PM

... and go to your bishop to ask for assistance.

And then be sure and report back to all of your friends about the message you received:

1) have you sought support from your family FIRST !?!?!
2) ummm, your attendance and worthiness just don't meet up with our requirements.
3) our ward budget is already GONE (with 99% going to SLC Utah).

See how that goes over with your Morgbot "friends"

Date: October 15, 2013 12:08PM

Exactly..I think they might help if they thought it would get me back in the church, but you're right about not having much money themselves. It's a nice idea, having a church welfare program, but it doesnt work.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:06PM

I doubt Momo would help you financially anyway. They demand your full tithing, then tell you to get financial help from your family and the government. What a scam church.

Date: October 15, 2013 12:09PM

Ya, and I was never a full tithe payer as a member because my never-mo husband was smart enough to say "Hell no" to paying 10% of an income he worked his ass off for. Haha

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:21PM

mrsostrike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started to
> get a TON of emails from TBM friends saying "You
> should talk to your local Bishop." or "The Church
> can help with your expenses!" or "The mormon
> church has a welfare program to help with that."

I would just bluntly say straight out, "Sorry, no. That kind of help comes with strings attached."

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:24PM

The message I enjoy the most is when they send you to your family. Perhaps you should be saving that 10% for when your family comes to you for help...

One of my other favorites is, "Why don't you use your grocery money to pay your mortgage and eat out of your food storage?"

Anyone raising a big family, like they encourage, knows what a helpful suggestion this is. Whose food bill ever even came close to their rent or mortgage payment?

When I was an investigator, my ward paid for my house payment plus a few extra bills I was behind on, "just to help out." Perhaps they were just speaking like a compassionate human being.

Incidentally, on the subject of preparedness, why wasn't the church prepared to help members keep their houses during the economic downturn or the government shutdown? Since they have prophetic powers, perhaps a humanitarian mission FOR THEIR OWN MEMBERS would have been a good idea instead of a shopping mall?

I am convinced they love it when people are struggling and they are fine when they downsize to an apartment with their six kids. It keeps them humble and childlike, crying and hugging TSCC's leg. And paying more regularly because they blame themselves.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:37PM

Personally, I would accept help regardless of the source. I just wouldn't accept the strings.

Ask the bishop for help. If his offer of help comes with strings attached then tell him no thanks. Just don't let him dig into your personal life. It is not his job to manage your finances. If he tries, ask him if he'll help or not and leave if they answer is no.

It might help if you have specific help in mind when you ask.

You never know what he'll do until you ask. Some bishops are descent people.

Date: October 15, 2013 03:02PM

The catch to this is that He isn't offering help... I would be the one asking for help.. So of course there would be conditions.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:07PM

I wouldn't ask the church for a single thing. And I'd tell my friends what Greyfort said. Or, I'd say that you know what the church's policy is regarding aid, that you are to exhaust all other possibilities first.

Date: October 15, 2013 03:13PM

Ya I like his response too about exhausting all other options first. I personally refuse to turn to the church..but its none of their business so.. You're right.

Date: October 15, 2013 03:11PM

I'd like to donate, but I want to do so anonymously. Is there a way to do that?

Date: October 15, 2013 03:12PM

If you hit the box marked (private) under where you enter your name it won't be made public. That is very kind of you. :)

Date: October 15, 2013 03:19PM

I would have loved to have paid via paypal. I wonder if there's a way to set up that kind of payment option for others? I might make it easier to donate.

Date: October 15, 2013 03:24PM

Devoted Exmo- Ya I dont know paypal well enough to navigate that kind of donation. I think if someone wanted to donate via paypal they would choose a "send money to a friend" option and then enter my email. But I couldnt figure out a way to link the fund to paypal. :/

Date: October 15, 2013 03:26PM

Thank you very very much.. That was very kind of you. :) I didn't post this looking for donations but that is very touching that you chose to donate, I really appreciate your help. :)

Date: October 15, 2013 03:42PM

No problem. I hope you reach your goal and I thank you and your husband for your service. We're a military family too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.