Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:44PM

When I was growing up in the 70's and early 80's my family would often participate in community events that required several Sundays and Mutual nights. But we were together. and we were sharing our talents with the greater community. Our Stake President was very supportive. He said that our activities together were the essence of "FHE," and that the missed Sundays were justifiable.

I was just looking at some of those photographs we spent together as a family when I was a teenager. They brought back such good memories. Except for one thing I will never forget: The youth leadership in our ward didn't seem as forgiving as the SP. I recall being labeled "inactive" and it hurt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:58PM

Not everyone in the Morg is as brainwashed and "letter of the law" oriented as many. As a convert I always recognized that some of the so called teachings from the church were pure hogwash and I ignored them as culturally derived garbage. I was lucky that I had a lot of leaders that felt the same way. But when I moved to Utah it got more and more difficult to look past the judgmental masses. I became more and more the outsider. Then I just left.

Posted by: overflow ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:24PM

My family has received similar treatment when we have been foster parents. When the time demands of being a foster parent began to encroach on the time we spent fulfilling our callings the bishop actually gave a sacrament talk about how service to the community is good but service to the church is more important. They give good lip service to the idea of service to the community but when it comes down to it all they really care about is enhancing the church's image.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.