Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 09:44PM

So two men just came to the door. I just got my pizza, I am by myself tonight, so I was eating it hot!! knock on the door. Is it a cop? Is it Mormons? Is it friends of my son?

I wasn't going to go but realized they could see me sort of.

I looked through the peephole and saw what I finally decided were two teenage boys.

So wrong!!

They were from scouts. The one the regional guy, whatever that means, shook both the guys hand. I was pissed that it was them.

But they didn't ask about my son like normal, they said that we are going around asking for scouting (friends of scouting) donations so the boys can go to summer camp.

I was like, no, I don't have money for that. So many other things I should have said.

They said, oh, we understand. Then they showed me the piece of paper with my husband (ex) name on it,a nd asked how to pronounce it. They asked, is this your husband or the man you live with???

What the (&)*_? How did they get his name, and why would they say that. He said "oh, we don't need to know the story" and I said, it's all about money.

My ex is living in the basement right now because of money.

It makes me mad they know who he is as there is no reason they should.

Also, why is his name typed on some paper?

And, I don't like them thinking I'm "lving with someone". We have been separated for 4 years, and he has only been here for the last 4-5 months.

So, I was kinda pissed, but of course didn't know how to say something else.

I think I just read a post here about that scouting friends fund and that it just goes to the church? I don't know, I just remembered that is was something bad.

We left eh church 10 years ago, and recently they have been buggin my oldest to go to scouting. He almost has a couple times for fun, but didn't at the last minute.

Ugh. It just is rude I think, and for them to say stuff like that.

I should have said, no, i'm not fucking him......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:57AM

I would advise you not to open your door to strangers. You can talk to anyone through a closed and locked door. As a woman your first duty is to protect your own personal safety. You are also free to ignore their knocking.

When they asked, "Is this your husband or the man that you live with?" they were asking a question that was none of their business. There was no need for you to respond with anything other than, "good night."

Just because someone knocks on your door, doesn't mean you have to answer it.
If you choose to answer it, it doesn't mean that you have to open the door.
If you choose to open the door, it doesn't mean that you have to let your caller in.
Just because someone calls you on the phone, it doesn't mean that you have to pick it up.
Just because someone asks you a question, it doesn't mean that you have to answer it.

Date: October 16, 2013 12:02PM

I don't usually, but I eventually thought it was my son's friends, who look like men now!!!

I forget that sometimes, I don't have to answer. But I think they would just come back.

I am wondering if they will come back when my ex is here. Funny, he walked in right after they left.

I told him about it, and said, where they heck do they get your name on their piece of paper from?

Maybe I need to send a "no contact" letter to the ward and the scouts. But my son would like to go sometime, to camp that is.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 12:27PM

Friends of Scouting is about paying the annual dues to national BSA for the local charter. In this case, probably your ex-ward. The money doesn't come out of the ward budget, nor out of the tithing that gets sent to SLC. No, its gotta come from the members as yet another expense to pay for the cost of membership. In our ward, raising money for summer camp was a whole separate thing. Maybe your unit combines the effort, I dunno.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 04:34PM

In my neck of the woods, knocking on someone's door, who is not expecting you, after dark is a good way to find yourself looking at the business end of a firearm.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:15PM

Friends of Scouting (FOS) does not pay for your son to go to scout camp. That cost is totally separate. FOS money goes to the local council and national organization. Yes, some of the money goes to help pay for the council owned facilities (like the council's scout camp facilities). However, none of the money goes directly to your local troop--not single penny of it. Fundraising for the local troop is totally separate.

BSA is very open about this. It is TSCC that is not. Just like in every other area, they lack transparency.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 16, 2013 05:23PM

I do not open the door to strangers and a few times I called the police. That will stop the stuff real quick. The strange men can explain to an officer why they insist on knocking on doors at night when they do not know the people.

Date: October 17, 2013 12:09AM

So, that makes sense because it has been a few years since they came, and last time we knew the guy from "before" and because he was just a nice guy.

It was last spring that my son started to get invited to scout stuff, with his friend too who was baptized by dad but not in the ward here.

So, they have our name, think they know us, and now it's ok.

I don't mind paying for him to go to a camp-out or anything, that's legit, but they specifically said the "boys summer camp".

Maybe since they invited my son they figured I should pay up.

Oh, and that reminds me. So I live in Utah county, and everyone gets flags from the scouts.

The scouts ask for $20 bucks or something to take care of our flags for all holidays and homecomings of soldiers.

Well, the last time they asked, probably a few years, I had no money. I also am of the opinion that I can handle flying my own flag. And we like to do it, so why would we have the scouts take care of it, seems a bit lazy to me.

So I had to say no. But this guy, who we knew, gave us the flag anyway. Cool, But with this newer guy, they stopped. We literally are the ONLY house in the who freakin sub that does not have the flag on the curb.

Of course we put ours up, but we stick out. Way to alienate your neighbors. I hate it when they come though in the early morning, they make so much noise and the dogs go crazy.

So, I hope they don't come again. We will be having to sell our house soon anyway, then they can get some real TBM's back in the neighborhood.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 01:33AM

Oops! Too much IRL! So if you drive through North Utah County on a scout flag flying day, you'll be able to pinpoint exactly where I live.

But seriously, they charge $35-40 in my neighborhood. It seems overpriced to me, and it seems too conformist to participate just because everyone else does. Frankly, I find it a bit creepy to see all of the flags lined up. To me, it's not about America. It mostly means "Hey, I'm a Mormon, too, and I gave money to the scouts". And don't get me started on their discrimination policies against gays.

I'm sure that my neighbors probably think I hate America. But the whole project has NOTHING to do with America. It's about money and conformity. The not-so-subtle pressure to pay for something I don't really want so I won't stick out like a sore thumb bugs me a little to much to succomb. How many of those people with flags on their lawns REALLY wanted to say NO, but didn't feel like they could because everyone would judge them?

If I wanted to openly express patriotism, I would spend $15 ONE time and get my own flag, not hire someone to do it FOR me at $35 bucks a year for the next 10 years.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 01:36AM

I can't even believe that a stranger would ask you about the man living in your house (by name) and your relationship to him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.