Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:16PM

I have never been prompted to sacrifice my eldest son.

Or separate a drunk man from his head.

Or save families with small children by knocking down national monuments.

I have been prompted to correct over priced items at DI. But I am pretty sure that is an impulse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Notloggedin ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 05:06AM

I had a mission companion who was very "in tune with the spirit". He would get impressions to knock on doors at night in the ghetto (white kids in the war zone between the black and the Mexican gangs? Yeah, I'll pass.) or to accept rides from a couple of random guys who pulled up to us (again, in the ghetto, where we would see gang members regularly), etc. I was terrified of what he would try and get us to do next.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 09:48AM

Share a false gospel.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 11:08AM

wash my hands a lot....oh no, wait that's OCD talking. Very confusing, those 2

Posted by: Lou Louis ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 11:20AM

Actually being prompted to be honest with leadership when it came to interviews.

I always thought honesty and integrity within the TSCC was what progression was all about . Boy was I wrong there!

I assume the practice of lying is still part of this culture. Over the years at times it was just unbearable to watch this bunch of yahoos in action. I put up with that crap for years until I had enough of their BS.

Its a joke to think they actually believe they have cornered the market on righteousness. It was the overall sitting on the fence attitude that was laid in front of me that "Your either for us or against us" Nothing in between so I said Bye Bye.

The great thing is when you leave you continue to progress still believing in a higher being or power just not the Mormon one.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 04:27PM

I love this post. It's too damn funny.

I think this is a great question to be asking mormons right now.

"Hey, did you hear about the mormon scout leaders who were 'prompted' to push over the old rock formation?"

"Yes, I did."

"Hmmm. What's the craziest thing the holy ghost ever prompted you to do?"

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 01:07PM

Up

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 19, 2013 04:29PM

To adopt 5 children and have 3 more of my own.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 01:12PM

That I needed to go through the temple and supress/ignore every doubt and urge to run the hell out of there to preserve my "salvation"

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:14PM

Not exactly crazy, but as a mishie We would pray over a large map of the area to find where the Lard would have us tract. We were directed to a particular street by the Spirit. When we got there it was entirely empty lots! Not a single home!
Obviously it was a test of out faith, and clearly when homes were built every family would be golden!!

I am embarrassed about how stupid I was!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:21PM

Hmm,sounds like he was trying to tell you to go only to empty lots to share your message. You weren't listening. lol

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 05:22PM

How many mistakes did you make believing It was the holy ghost and did your bishop ever excuse you from it because you thought it was the holy ghost.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 07:36PM

Marriage has to be my biggest mistake prompting by the spirit.

Posted by: wonderingnomore ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 07:50PM

Marry the wrong person, marry too young.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 07:59PM

When I was eight I lost a marble while playing with another boy. I accused him of stealing it, and my sister's boyfriend chased him home crying. When I found the marble, I felt terrible and told my father. He said it was the Holy Ghost inside of me making me feel that way. I didn't like having a ghost in me, and I asked Dad how to get rid of the feeling. He told me to make amends with the falsely accused boy. I gave that kid my entire marble collection and sure enough, that ghostly feeling slipped away. I never wanted to have that damned ghost in me again, and I never did.

Posted by: Anon Regular Lurker ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 09:34PM

nothing more than emotional response, and horniness, and guilt for thinking that I was "Supposed" to be married by the time I was 26.

Freakin Cult!

Posted by: NoName ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 09:49PM

I felt prompted once to hide under a desk at work. How embarrassing ;)

Posted by: Thetimeisnow ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 10:08AM

Brahahahahahaha! I was having a gloomy morning and this made me lol! Thank you:)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 11:06PM

I was prompted to marry Nancy by the HG during a visit to the celestial room. Went there for an answer to my prayers.

Luckily I ultimately ignored the HG. We got engaged, but never tied the knot, praise Stan!

Later when confiding to a TBM buddy that I didn't want to marry Nancy, but felt compelled by the Holy Ghost, this TBM came up with a scenario where HF was testing me by having the HG give me bad advise.

Luckily I bought it, and never went through with it.

I came out a year or so later.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 20, 2013 11:39PM

The dumbest thing, actually, was to break up with a hot boyfriend because he was still of mission age, even though he didn't want to go serve one, and we were tremendously attracted to each other, it was too much temptation. Oh, how I wish I could go back. =)

And the so many times the HG prompted me to call people to see how they were doing and being stuck in a very long personal conversations that were uncomfotable. but I'm glad I was a listening and discreet ear to those who were lonely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 11:41PM by deconverted2010.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 01:16AM

Joined TSCC. Go on a mission.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 01:20AM

GET MARRIED to 'the one' I prayed and prayed and fasted and prayed some more about!! What crok, he was REALLY abusive.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 01:51AM

Leave my home, uproot my children and move to another state, closer to family with false pretenses. :)

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 02:27AM

Return to BYU, when I was happier at the university I attended in the summers. Well, it was the loss of credit hours.

I was in love with two men at the same time (both Atheists) and my bishop and I prayed and prayed about it. He advised me that I could not love two men, so I probably didn't love either one of them. Then I met the phoniest play-actor who ever lived, and the bishop and my parents just loved him. I married him after a few months, in the temple. I was "closer to the Lord" than at any other time in my life--and I made the biggest mistake of my life. I went against my own heart, my own intuition, my own gut reactions. Yeah, my temple husband beat me.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 02:34AM

He just took it and said "Gracias." He didn't look as though he was rolling in money.

Posted by: Anonnn ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 11:10AM

To buy a bunch of clothes at the gap.... and I'm not joking

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 11:24AM

Tell a woman whose 2 year old just drowned that I could promise her she would see him again if only she would join my church.

No kidding. From my upcoming memoir "What Was I Thinking?"

Anagrammy

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 12:42PM

Ouch! I said something similar to a lady I barely knew after her husband died. I was trying to use my "truth" to comfort her. I did leave out the part about joining the church.

Posted by: Italia69 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 11:30AM

I had a friend that told me about his "prompting" to ride his bike right through a stop sign. He was riding down a hill that he regularly rode down. There was a stop sign towards the bottom that he always stopped at, but this one time he felt prompted that he needed to run through the stop sign. He got hit by a car...no joke.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 12:47PM

Nowadays--I USUALLY have no regrets. We have made our lives work somehow--and we both got out of the lds church. There are days I wonder what might have been--but not very often. He did need me--he still does. Just not as a wife.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 12:50PM

I was prompted to directly disobey an apostle on two separate occasions. Those were two of the best decisions I ever made as a TBM.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 03:45PM

To get my bellybutton pierced. I really wanted it done and saw nothing wrong with it. I fasted and prayed a lot. I got confirmation it would be okay.

My mom saw it and said I could take it out or be kicked out of the house. It was a big WTF moment for me. I did not understand why I could not rely on God myself but was suppose to just blindly follow some old guys I never met.

I am glad I wanted it pierced it was the beginning of the end of the church for me.

Now my sister who has her bellybutton pierced and is covered in tats lives there with no problem.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 03:47PM

Go on a mission.
Date a girl.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: October 21, 2013 04:18PM

GET OUT OF TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.