Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 09:03PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 09:07PM

Coffee is only good. Only good. There is no harm. Except for when you make bad coffee. And that is sinful.

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:02PM

I like my coffee to be the consistency of mud.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 09:49PM

agreed, cludgie...and a shot of whiskey is good in it too.

Ron Burr

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 09:51PM

They only danger of coffee is if I don't get it I may become grumpy.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 03:02PM

That's true for me.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:01PM

that caf-FIEND will spot you in some ostentatious coffee "shoppe", drinking estate coffee so overly roasted you can't discern its flavor (never mind "nuance"), further ruined with four sugars and low-fat organic soy milk. He will then come over and pour the vile concotion down the inside of your shirt collar.

Other than such occasional, well-deserved mishaps, coffee is a delicious and beneficial beverage.

The injunction against coffee and tea is also shared by the Seventh Day Adventists, a separatist but non-harmful sect, and Christian Science, which is a dangerous cult.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:14PM

You're right, low-fat soymilk is pretty pointless. Much more delightful is Trader Joe's organic soy creamer. It's got a lot more body and doesn't have the nasty aftertaste of dairy products.

Posted by: Jonny ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:01PM

I already have some of the problem listed but I can't stand the taste of coffee dang it

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:23PM

Tea has some of the same benefits and then some. I rarely drink coffee, but I have iced tea nearly every day.

Posted by: Waterhou5e ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:42PM

I spent over 40 years of my life believing coffee was somehow evil, until my lovely girlfriend released me from my delusion. While I appreciate the opportunity to experience the child-like delight of something new and wonderful at this stage of my life, boy do I regret all those lost years I could have been enjoying the devil's brew. :-)

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:47PM

Coffee is very good. Tea ain't too bad either. I now drink both with a guilt-free conscience. Scotch Whisky too. (In moderation, of course.)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 10:55PM

Coffee is evil, because on a hot day you may be tempted have with a little ice in it. Then blend it. Then add a little chocolate syrup. Then blend it. Then add a little ice cream. Then blend it. Then add a little whipped cream on top. Wait...what was I was talking about?

Pure temptation. Pure danger. Pure evil.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 02:23PM

LOL!

Posted by: utchick33 ( )
Date: October 17, 2013 11:43PM

I had a delicious coffee the other day... a salted caramel white chocolate mocha. My hips regret it, but DAMN was it good :) You should go to Starbucks on Sunday just to try it!!!

Posted by: Devils Spawn ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:56PM

I have a wicked question for all you ex-mos:

Does it taste better when you buy it on Sundays? }:-)>

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:18AM

My friend and I say it has to taste like candy before we drink it. LOL! This was before Starbucks.

Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:00PM

I believe in Starbucks because I know it is true!

(Hey if a TBM can bear testimony for TSCC, I can bear testimony for Starbucks, right?)

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 02:54PM

2 cups of coffee with a little bit of sugar free coffee mate is my morning routine. I've never been happier in the first few hours of my day than once I started drinking coffee. Ole Joe was full of it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 08:54PM

I only drank a cup in the morning when I was pregnant. Both of my kids weighed 9lbs.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:41PM

You should also decreased processed foods, sugar, white flour when you are pregnant.

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 04:08PM

This isn't really news. Women have known for a long time that it's wise to limit caffeine in pregnancy.

But most people aren't pregnant, and those who are won't always be pregnant.

So banning coffee makes no sense. Why not trust people to make sensible decisions given the circumstances they are in?

Mormonism is a very controlling religion.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 08:50PM

There are 2 dangers of coffee I can think of:

1. If it's too hot and you drink it too fast, you could scauld your tongue and mouth! Ouch!

2. BE SURE TO TAKE THE SPOON OUT OF THE CUP SO IT DOESN'T POKE YOU IN THE EYE!

Other ideas to follow if I think of them......

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:15PM

Don't drop it on your crotch.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:49PM

...and if you do, just sue McDonald's

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:14PM

... of her body. Not too funny. McDonalds brewed and served coffee at 180-190 F°, much higher than normally served in homes. They knew that there had been other cases of people being severely burned by their too-hot coffee, but refused to do anything about it, like something as simple as lowering the temperature from flesh-destroyingly hot to simply scalding hot.

It did not need to be served dangerously hot, they knew it, but did not care. That is why they lost the case, and their coffee is now served 10 degrees cooler - not enough, but it's something. Sometimes coffee gets spilled. Accidents do happen, especially in cars, on elderly people, as in this case, and on children, but we dont expect to have to have skin grafts performed as a result of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 02:16PM by serena.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:56PM

When I was a teen working at McD's, I burned myself to the point of blisters many times on the exterior of the machine. Not the burner or anywhere near it, the metal case. The thing was always too hot. Frequently the machine would begin steaming heavily and then us front counter girls would get berated for not changing out the coffee often enough.
I suspect in hindsight this particular one was set to boiling, but I didn't know anything about coffee then, just that a little bit of evil poured over vanilla soft serve was really awesome.

All the regular seniors who came in the morning would ask for a kids cup of ice and the coffee served in a much bigger cup than the serving size they paid for. "Room for ice".
The kid cup of ice would just vanish into the smallest serving of coffee, leaving it just about what you get from a drip machine at home.

Posted by: Angrydoubter ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 09:03PM

Although I would say that the Mormon perception off coffee and tea being "bad" for you is way off, there is wisdom in the literal text of the Word of Wisdom.

D&C 89:9
"And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly."

Health studies have found evidence that frequent consumption of overly hot beverages and foods can cause scarification of tissues in the mouth and throat, in which such damage can later cause cancer in such scarred tissue.

Although scientific in reasoning, it should really just be considered common sense. Hot drinks are hot drinks to those Mormons who enjoy hot cocoa and herbal teas. I'm not saying that you should rule out drinking such things, I'm just saying that you gotta be careful drinking them so you don't burn yourself.

What really angers me about the WoW is not the word itself, but the hypocrisy involved in TBM preaching it and judging others based on it. TBMs are making liars out of themselves when they so proudly say they follow the WoW. Do they not remember that the WoW also says that they should eat meat only "sparingly" and in times of "cold and famine?" Unless they are vegetarian in nature, which most Mormons mock, they are breaking that part of the WoW.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:24PM

I had heard this about those that sip scalding hot tea all day, like some do in southern Brazil, Argentina, etc... They have unusually high rates of cancers. I don't believe it has anything to do with the tea...just the temperature.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: October 18, 2013 10:09PM

I was reading the health benefits and detriments of coffee on Wikipedia (The One True Encyclopedia), and it seemed like it had more benefits, but the detriments were way worse. I almost decided to quit right there. I was thinking of talking my mom into it because she favors soda (which she's since quit), dislikes herbal tea, and doesn't really have anything else to pick her up in the mornings, but after reading that I've decided not to.

I'm still OK drinking coffee as I want the benefits, though I'm afraid of the chancy detriments later in life, and the goods have outweighed the bads so far (over-stimulation, craving).

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:51PM

I wonder if the 'detriments' section was just made up by a TBM...

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:22PM

Three lived to 98, 97 and 94, except the one who died young at 82. No deaths were related to coffee consumption. Moderate amounts of coffee drunk at a safe temperature does no harm.

Moderation in all things, aside from the obvious illegal drugs, poisons, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 02:23PM by serena.

Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 01:57PM

It's the inability for the TBM mindset to use basic logic. This is one of hundreds of examples.

What is the difference between a good Mormon and a bad Mormon?

The temperature of their caffeine.

Posted by: Barnupcrik ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:24PM

but, but, but, you can run and not be weary and that makes it all worth while.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 04:03PM

Not drinking coffee almost killed me. I have found it balances my blood sugar, eliminating depression and even helping eliminate blockages in my heart. I was heading for diabetes with a pre-diabetic condition which caused blockages in my heart - to the extent that my arteries, on average, were 90 per cent blocked and I had a triple by-pass. Now the arteries are unblocked! Damn the WoW. JS a prophet? Hell no!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.