Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 05:30PM

Today HLN showed the various outfits Michelle MacNeill, the victim, was reported to have been wearing by various witnesses.

One of the witnesses described Michelle as wearing LDS garment tops, no bottoms. There were four different tops shown in a display--- none of them were the LDS garment top.

They just skipped it!

Yep, this trial is taking place in Provo.

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Starry not signed in ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 05:38PM

I noticed that too.. This isn't even the trial just the hearing. I love these court tv shows. Will be watching.

Posted by: Never Mo In Florida ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 07:53PM

Oops-wrong spot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2013 07:54PM by Never Mo In Florida.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 08:41PM

What do you mean that this is just the hearing. There was a jury present so wouldn't that be considered a trial?

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 06:10PM

The trial judge also stated for the record that the garments in one of the exhibit bags, which, unlike the dark top exhibit, were not allowed to be taken out and shown, also had cuts in them.
I also felt that the constant questioning and the length of time of the cross examination by the defence, of Rachel McNeil was unacceptably cruel and abusive, considering her history of acute mental illness and her fairly obvious fragile and confused state of mind. The defence had successfully made their point of her possible unreliability very early on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2013 06:21PM by flyinghigh.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 07:43PM

The garments had "cuts" in them? Was the judge talking about the garment markings or real cuts?

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 08:38PM

The cuts were referred to from when the paramedics had to cut them off. Not the markings in the garment itself.

Date: October 24, 2013 07:55PM

I agree the cross-examination was nasty but I'm not surprised. Rachel actually handled it pretty well considering her fragile state. I perceived her emotions as genuine. It was pure gold when visibly recoiled and made an "ugh" sound after being shown a picture of Gypsy.

Date: October 24, 2013 07:50PM

I missed most of the hearing testimony. So annoyed. Sorry I started another topic on this trial. I didn't see this one.

Does anyone know if the MacNeill daughters are still practicing LDS?

Did anyone else notice when Rachel was asked about going to the temple and the prosecutor asked something like "What temple?" and she was confused about the question? I think he may have been prompting her to specify "LDS temple" but maybe that's just my non-mo perception.

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 08:29PM

I did notice that when questioned about their Temple visit, Rachel McNeill mentioned doing an Endowment session after which she did Initiatory. Now I know the trial is at the very heart of Mormon Utah and that the judge, lawyers, witnesses, etc are mainly Mormon, but 95% of people watching are not, and they will have no idea what Rachel was referring to here.
I would have thought that some brief explanation would have to be given regarding these temple terms, since their meeting in the Temple was an important piece of evidence regarding Martin McNeill's desire for a nanny.
What with that and the refusal to allow the temple garment exhibit to be taken out of the bag and shown to everyone, there seems to be a hint of predetermined protection for LDSinc being afforded by the judge as and when it is required. Anyone else detect this?

Date: October 24, 2013 09:31PM

I didn't see Rachel's testimony at the hearing, but if all pieces of clothing were removed from their bags EXCEPT for the garments, then it appears the judge is protecting the LDS.

I only saw one witness use the word "tithing" when referring to Martin's yelling while the EMTs were there.

Posted by: SeaNeverMo ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 09:50PM

My favorite was how one of the commentators on Nancy Grace's show kept referring to how the murder was in Utah, so having a lover right after his wife's death wasn't so odd -- because in Utah they still have polygamy.

There's no doubt those daughters are TBM (or at least were at the time of their mom's death). I keep getting distracted looking for the garment lines under their clothes.

Date: October 24, 2013 09:58PM

I sort of assumed they were at the time of their mother's death. I just wonder if that has changed.

I'm laughing about looking for garment lines. I've been doing that same thing!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.