Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 02:35PM

I hear all the time that TBM go to the temple for answers to their questions -- but it really doesn't seem like there is time for deep reflection. Is it just the spirit in the temple that is inspiring? Or something else? Is it just in the Celestial Room that you think about issues or questions? Do you actually get time in the Celestial Room for contemplation?

I don't get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:13PM

I used to hear people brag about finding answers to big problems in the temple. I tried it once. Sat down in the Celestial room to do some heavy duty pondering and praying. It was about 47 seconds later when a blue haired harpy started trying to shoo me out. The next batch of veil splitters was due and I was taking up valuable real estate.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 04:26PM

Yup, I had a same experience. In the brief time I sat in the celestial room, I felt no inspiration, no answers to my troubles. But a frantic worker did come over and pull my veil up because it had fallen over my face while I was leaned over praying. She seemed really upset that my veil was out of place, and then she made me leave. What? We're not even allowed to sit & ponder & pray in the celestial room? How much did that room cost in furnishing, lighting, and decorations, and did I not contribute to funding those things?? Gah.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 24, 2013 12:57AM

I had the same experiences. I actually thought something cool might happen and I'd be granted some marvelous inspiration about some serious issues I was struggling with. I, too, was basically shooed out, after getting the stinkeye from a heavy-duty matron because I quietly got the giggles about something. Absolutely nothing divine happened, of course, and I quickly realized how idiotic the whole idea was.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:17PM

The only problem you'll find an answer to is insomnia - because the whole thing will put you to sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 03:18PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:18PM

Sometimes it's just the change in atmosphere, and place, and the quiet that gives us an opportunity to think more clearly. No phone calls, nobody needing something, nobody interrupting.

It could be anyplace, however, LDS folks like to use the temple for contemplation, it seems.
I know I did at the time.

I find that the place doesn't matter. When I am in need of some clarity, it comes to me when I can accept it.

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 03:29PM

I'm not satisfied with this answer.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:19PM

I'd rather have a zen garden.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:26PM

I agree. I sometimes walk up into the foothills and watch the sunrise across the valley in the morning when I need to be alone and think. It's far better than sitting in the temple.

I went to the temple to pray in the celestial room when I first started having doubts...actually, it was after I had already read about everything I could get my hands on. I never felt anything in the temple besides peace and quiet. Watching people in the endowment and sitting in the celestial room, with their embarassed and anguished faces, convinced me that there was nothing of value there...I, of course, already suspected that.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:21PM

Ok folks nothing here, move on.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 03:34PM

It worked for me when I believed, but not as well as sitting on the mountainside or overlooking the canyon. Strangely the beach doesn't do the trick for me:(

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 05:18PM

I just KNEW if I could spend some time in the CR, I'd find my answers.

I never once got to even sit down in the CR. I was usually one of the last through the veil--and by the time I would get in the CR, they'd already be shooing everyone out. So much for that.

The last time I went--they pulled me aside to help with sealings because someone hadn't shown up. That was a horrible experience. I got done before my husband got through the session, so I sat in the foyer for 45 minutes pondering what I had just experienced. Longest time I ever had time to meditate in the temple. I never went back.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 05:23PM

Give it a try! It's certainly a holier place than any temple.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 05:31PM

And has a lot less crap!

Posted by: pioneerrose ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 05:56PM

LOL!!!

I was never in a temple, and I wanted to go. I had the chance to go once, but my mom threw a major hissy fit at the person who wanted to take me. I stayed home. My mother never explained why she did it, but I know now she kept me from some major trauma.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 23, 2013 06:43PM

I found peace sitting around the temple, but I don't recall having much brain activity during those sessions. If I really need to think out something I go for a drive or a bike ride or go dancing.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 01:42PM

I never sought solutions from prayer, fasting, the bishop, stake president, a priesthood blessing or the temple. My solutions were always the result of research and reasoning.

But then I was a convert to the Church. My wife never expected to make a decision on hier own. She always turned to the Church to find (dictate) a solution for her. I found it so frustrating that when we wanted to make a decision for the home, career or childcare, etc. she didn't want facts, she wanted prayer.

Even D&C 9 to "study it out in your mind" the pray to confirm held no sway with my wife. She wanted revelation cold.

Of course, not just any revelation ... But revelation confirming her Mormon bias. I recall one couples prayer, "Please God, teach my stubborn husband that I have been right all along." She couldn't understand why I didn't say "Amen" ("Let it be true.")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 01:43PM by idleswell.

Posted by: was family first ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 06:00PM

When I first joined the LDS church, people spoke in reverence of finding answers and quiet time and reflection in the temple. After having gone to the temple, first for baptisms, then for my endowments and sealing and then to do it for others, I came to believe that it was all false testimony on those who said they could get quiet and reflect in the temple.

The temple is a program and every second is monopolized by LDS doctrine and ritual. How can I reflect in the telestial room while I am putting on clothes, taking off clothes, dropping my damn apron on the floor, sash hanging off me half cocked and then trying to keep that loose comb in my hair to keep my veil on ALL the while listening to everything, promising everything and doing all that hand jive while I tried to honestly paid attention and make the best effort of that endowment for the one I was doing it for???

Then in the terrestial room there is more to come. Throw the veil over my face and the whole thing comes off into my lap. More vows and hand signs. Perfect prayer and you stand around the altar with that veil over your face with your hand somewhere on someone and your another hand or elbow in another place.

Then comes the big veil part. I spit back all the answers the temple worker tells me to the hand behind the curtain and doing hand signs with him through the curtain.

Wallaaaa I am through and into the Celestial room.

Sit down for a few and up you go to get your clothes off and normal clothes on and doing the hokey pokey with the three other women sharing the same locker space with you.

Time for quiet reflection and introspection?

hardly.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 06:48PM

I discovered the solution to the world's energy crisis while sitting in the celestial room. Oh, S&$#, I forgot what it was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.